The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

for some reason i put volumetric flask instead of conical flask for the titration... i'll lose a mark for that won't i?
Reply 262
What's this acid question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 263
Original post by super121

What did people get for the 6 mark calculation?
Posted from TSR Mobile

i think i got something along the lines of 1.69 grams?
Reply 264
Original post by manpyy
with the isomer questions was there a double bond in the question? because im pretty sure there wasn't and was having difficulty with that question but others said there was a double bond so im really confused :s-smilie:

there wasnt i double bond... im not sure about this but i put that because the carbons were in a ring there is no rotation around the c-c bond....

Original post by manpyy
i wasn't sure so i put neutral, why would it be acidic?

i said acidic because there were 2 acidic groups (carboxylic acid and OH on benzene) and only one basic (NH2) any one else get this?

Original post by manpyy
i got 1.69

damn i got 16.9 but of got a power wrong somewhere :frown:

also for the unit for K i got S not S-1 im such an idiot i divited them the wrong way round :frown:
I thought that was a very average paper, with some weird questions thrown in. I don't expect the grade boundaries to change that much tbh. I also got 1.69 something for the calculation thingy.

Hope everyone found it alright!

BUT GUYS NO MORE SALTERS CHEMISTRY!!!! :biggrin:

Well hopefully!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 266
For the titration I found the number of moles of MnO4- that reacted, but I scaled that up wrong for the molar ratio with the reactant. From there I multiplied by 4 to get the moles in 100 cm^3 and then multiplied by the Mr of the AxH2O thing to get the answer. How many marks out of 6 do you think I would get here with that molar ratio mistake?
Reply 267
Original post by abzy1234
BUT GUYS NO MORE SALTERS CHEMISTRY!!!! :biggrin:

Well hopefully!

Hahaha Amen to that!
Reply 268
1.69, 0.086 with messed up units, completely flopped the titration section!
Thought the soluble zwitter ion was acidic, because there were more proton donors than acceptors.

On the chiral question: Isomers were possible because you could have functional groups above and below the ring, right? Therefore the two NH groups on the same side of the ring was the cis formation, and when they were on either side of the ring that was the trans formation.

And on the IR bit... the molecule we had to draw was definatley a salt right? Which was why there were no OH bonds on the spectra?

At least we didn't have to memorise the gay ligand stuff. (Except the manganate going from purple to pink)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by EdwinLo
For the titration I found the number of moles of MnO4- that reacted, but I scaled that up wrong for the molar ratio with the reactant. From there I multiplied by 4 to get the moles in 100 cm^3 and then multiplied by the Mr of the AxH2O thing to get the answer. How many marks out of 6 do you think I would get here with that molar ratio mistake?

4, possibly 5
Original post by Another
Thought the soluble zwitter ion was acidic, because there were more proton donors than acceptors.

Yeah!

On the chiral question: Isomers were possible because you could have functional groups above and below the ring, right? Therefore the two NH groups on the same side of the ring was the cis formation, and when they were on either side of the ring that was the trans formation.

Yeah I drew a dashed line and a wedge to show that, I'll draw a diagram soon

And on the IR bit... the molecule we had to draw was definatley a salt right? Which was why there were no OH bonds on the spectra?

Yeah the first one was a salt, whilst the other one was ethan-1,2-diol

At least we didn't have to memorise the gay ligand stuff. (Except the manganate going from purple to pink)
Loved that question :wink:

See italics part :smile:
Original post by Another

goes from colourless to pink doesn't it?
Reply 272
Original post by abzy1234
See italics part :smile:

I got butan-1,4-diol for the alcohol because there 4 carbons and the OHs were on the ends, maybe I'm wrong though. Also put a carboxylic acid for the other molecule as I didn't see the NaOH part....
Reply 273
Original post by aWildPidgey

Potassium Permanganate is purple so I thought it gradually loses its purpleness until it turns pale pink
lowest it has been for an A is 63, highest is 71. average is about 65. i think it will be around 65, it wasn't too hard, i did drop quite a few marks myself so i'm hoping i border on an A, if not at least a B would be good
Original post by aWildPidgey

The colour of potassium manganate is purple, and the end point is when it turns the first (permanent) pale pink colour. This came up in June 2011 if I can remember, plus somewhere in a legacy

Original post by EdwinLo
I got butan-1,4-diol for the alcohol because there 4 carbons and the OHs were on the ends, maybe I'm wrong though. Also put a carboxylic acid for the other molecule as I didn't see the NaOH part....

Hmm, I think it was two carbons though right? Yeah I'm pretty sure it was two carbons... Plus there wasn't any absorption for spectrum A above 2500, so there wasn't any OH bond. I think that's what it was :smile:
Original post by EdwinLo
Potassium Permanganate is purple so I thought it gradually loses its purpleness until it turns pale pink

No when you add Potassium Permanganate the purple colour disappears in the colourless solution until a permanent pink colour appears I think
Reply 277
I got 1.68... Recon I'd still get the full 6 marks???
all old boundaries for you guys:

F334: Materials
100% - A - B - C - D - E - U

January 2010
Raw 90 64 56 49 42 35
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

June 2010
Raw 90 64 56 49 42 35
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

January 2011
Raw 90 63 56 49 42 35
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

June 2011
Raw 90 68 61 54 47 40
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

January 2012
Raw 90 63 57 51 46 41
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

June 2012
Raw 90 63 56 50 44 38
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36

January 2013
Raw 90 71 64 57 51 45
UMS 90 72 63 54 45 36
Original post by Bonnbbb
I got 1.68... Recon I'd still get the full 6 marks???

Perhaps drop only one for the significant figures mark :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending