The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Another
I got this too! Except I also drew lines in for the hydrogen atoms. The only reason why I remember this is because I viewed a video about this type of Isomerism in November... absolute miracle I remembered it.

H2O of order 2, CH3Cl of order 1, overall three. I was super confused about this as well - who the hell practically raises their concentrations of a solution by 1.5? If anything, the investigation taught me that even doubling your concentrations are hard enough.

MnO4- is purple in colour. The only reason why I remembered that is because my new Chem teacher was hell bent on doing EVERY SINGLE PRACTICAL in the textbook.

I only remembered it because there was something like that in the F335 paper in Jan 2013! :tongue:

Got what you got for the kinetics thingy, and lol, totally agree with them multiplying it by 1.5!

And I wish my teacher(s) actually did some practicals with us :tongue:
I'm sure the question asked how the mechanism was wrong didn't it???
Reply 302
Original post by abzy1234
I think it will. But we have no idea how everyone did across the country, so we'll just have to wait and see. Compared to the Jan paper, I think this was a broadly similar paper :smile:

damn iv made soo many silly mistake aswell :/ guess we just have to wait till results day
Can anyone get a copy of the exam?
Reply 304
Original post by aWildPidgey
I'm sure the question asked how the mechanism was wrong didn't it???

The question was why is it right and I think it was 1 mark?
For the orders questions I put 1 for ch3cl and 0 for h20. As h20 didnt appear in RDS, butg ch3cl did appear in RDS at 1 molecule. Not sure got quite confused on that.
Reply 306
Yes I know but if you watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVomKthCP_k

it shows that the solution remains colourless after addition of Mno4- (somewhere around the middle they stop adding Mno4 and it turns back from purple to colourless

I said the solution turns pink from colourless

....And this is why I hate chemistry titrations. In fact, this is why I hate chemistry end of.

I think the other question said "How does the reaction support the scientists hypothesis," or something like that.

Original post by abzy1234
I only remembered it because there was something like that in the F335 paper in Jan 2013! :tongue:

Why do you even still remember F335. That crap was last week. And ugly. Forget it. Now.

And I wish my teacher(s) actually did some practicals with us :tongue:

One of my old teachers only went over "key practicals." Our new teacher, who had a PhD in organic chemistry, was more along the lines of "YEA LETS TEACH YOU EVERYTHING, EVEN THE COMPLETE MECHANISMS OF BENZENE REACTIONS WITH CURLY ARROWS AND INTERLOCKING P ORBITALS AND STUFF." Yeap, he was probably the reason I passed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MTI
damn iv made soo many silly mistake aswell :/ guess we just have to wait till results day

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll pick up marks elsewhere :smile:

Exactly, no point worrying about what's done tbh. If anything it's time to celebrate that chemistry is all over! :biggrin:
Original post by EdwinLo
The question was why is it right and I think it was 1 mark?

Original post by Another
....And this is why I hate chemistry titrations. In fact, this is why I hate chemistry end of.

I think the other question said "How does the reaction support the scientists hypothesis," or something like that.

Yeah it said support the researcher's hypothesis
Was it first order and then 2nd order for h20 and overall was 3 right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futuristicmedic
Was it first order and then 2nd order for h20 and overall was 3 right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah most likely it should be that :smile:
Didn't it say:

The mechanism is wrong or something

Use the orders of reactions and equations to explain why
for the 1.69 question, would 1.7 have been more "appropriate"? i wrote 1.69 but i feel like 1.7 would have made more sense...
Didn't it say:

The mechanism is wrong or something

Use the orders of reactions and equations to explain why

nope it said why is it the correct mechanism
Reply 314
Original post by Kreayshawn
for the 1.69 question, would 1.7 have been more "appropriate"? i wrote 1.69 but i feel like 1.7 would have made more sense...

Three significant figures, in line with all the other values given in the text. You got it right =D

Yes, 25.0 and 0.00500 are somehow 3 significant figures as all.
Original post by Richyp22
nope it said why is it the correct mechanism

But h2o wasn't in the rate determining step even though it was in the rate equation

I thought that if it was in the rate equation it was in the rate determining step
Original post by Kreayshawn

I wasn't sure about that as well... It gave the volume reading of NaOH to 4 sig figs and the rest to 3 sig figs... So I'm not too sure whether it would be 1.695 or 1.70..
Someone get a copy of the exam!!!!! :frown:
Please say I wasn't the only person that forgot that Tg was the glassy transition state...
Original post by Another
Three significant figures, in line with all the other values given in the text. You got it right =D

Yes, 25.0 and 0.00500 are somehow 3 significant figures as all.

But wasn't the volume of NaOH to 4 sig figs.. that's what made me a bit wary to giving it to 3sf :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending