The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I'm having surgery next thursday and i'm TERRIFIED and on the verge of backing out :s-smilie:

I'm having my bottom jaw moved forward as i have an overbite. Can anyone tell me about the pain and discomfort? I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, i'm even scared of the needle going in my hand! Does it feel weird waking up and knowing that your jaw is in a different place?

Thanks
Original post by Sarah04H
I'm having surgery next thursday and i'm TERRIFIED and on the verge of backing out :s-smilie:

I'm having my bottom jaw moved forward as i have an overbite. Can anyone tell me about the pain and discomfort? I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, i'm even scared of the needle going in my hand! Does it feel weird waking up and knowing that your jaw is in a different place?

Thanks

Hi,

I wouldn't back out if I were you. The aesthetic results will mean that that the pain is worthwhile.

The changes are gradual, so you may not immediately notice them, but if you have before - after shots, you will be able to see it.

The type of pain you will have is basically sharp stabbing pains in the jaw, but the painkillers will help you get through it. Also as long as the jaw is held in the right position via the use of elastic bands, you will not feel it much - it's only when the rubber bands snaps it hurts. After a 3 weeks - a month you will be fine pain wise. The only uncomfortable thing for you, will be eating. I assume you will be on a liquid diet. So make sure you order a box of ensure plus.

But yeah, again, it will all be worth it in the end.
Reply 182
Original post by fat_hobbit
Hi,

I wouldn't back out if I were you. The aesthetic results will mean that that the pain is worthwhile.

The changes are gradual, so you may not immediately notice them, but if you have before - after shots, you will be able to see it.

The type of pain you will have is basically sharp stabbing pains in the jaw, but the painkillers will help you get through it. Also as long as the jaw is held in the right position via the use of elastic bands, you will not feel it much - it's only when the rubber bands snaps it hurts. After a 3 weeks - a month you will be fine pain wise. The only uncomfortable thing for you, will be eating. I assume you will be on a liquid diet. So make sure you order a box of ensure plus.

But yeah, again, it will all be worth it in the end.

Thank you :smile: That made me feel better, although i keep freaking out about it all. I'll just have to man up and get it done.
Could you talk okay when you were wired shut?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Thank you :smile: That made me feel better, although i keep freaking out about it all. I'll just have to man up and get it done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's pretty hard to talk for a little while - I'd recommend keeping a notebook/pen with you so that you can write things down if you can't say them properly.

But it really is absolutely worth it. :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Liv1204
It's pretty hard to talk for a little while - I'd recommend keeping a notebook/pen with you so that you can write things down if you can't say them properly.

But it really is absolutely worth it. :smile:

Thank you :smile: My surgery is on thursday so i'm now starting to panic :P

At the moment the pain and discomfort seems bigger than the long term effects, but that might just be the nerves. Hopefully it won't stop me from having it done.
Reply 185
Wish I found this page earlier.

I've for a overbite of around 2-3 cm, and just had my lower wisdom teeth removed yesterday under general. Loving the swelling! I'm heading to Southampton in December, right before my uni term finishes, to have the surgery to extend the jaw.

Anyone else having jaw extension surgery? Would love to hear your stories too.
Reply 186
Thank you :smile: My surgery is on thursday so i'm now starting to panic :P

At the moment the pain and discomfort seems bigger than the long term effects, but that might just be the nerves. Hopefully it won't stop me from having it done.

Nerves are normal! The long term effects, for me at least, far far far outweigh the pain and discomfort, I don't regret it even a tiny bit.

They'll give you painkillers for a while, to take home with you as well, so it can be easily controlled. It's not comfortable at first, but remember it's just a few weeks, that's all. Lots of DVDs, book, laptop and sofa is necessary for a while I think, give yourself time to rest afterwards. :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by Liv1204
Nerves are normal! The long term effects, for me at least, far far far outweigh the pain and discomfort, I don't regret it even a tiny bit.

They'll give you painkillers for a while, to take home with you as well, so it can be easily controlled. It's not comfortable at first, but remember it's just a few weeks, that's all. Lots of DVDs, book, laptop and sofa is necessary for a while I think, give yourself time to rest afterwards. :smile:

Haha, i'm looking forward to the book, dvd and laptop side of it :P Thank you for making me feel better :smile:
My last question (sorry), but could you feel your jaw was in a different place? Or was it so numb that you couldn't feel it at all?
Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. :wink:

Quite horrible experience tbh, but well worth it.

Make sure you have your iphone with you in hospital. So you can write things down. And kill time surfing the net etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 189
Nope. :wink:

Quite horrible experience tbh, but well worth it.

Make sure you have your iphone with you in hospital. So you can write things down. And kill time surfing the net etc

Noo my internet doesn't work :frown: Hopefully i'll be conscious enough for a book.
Thank you for the reply, i'll take paper and a pen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noo my internet doesn't work :frown: Hopefully i'll be conscious enough for a book.
Thank you for the reply, i'll take paper and a pen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doubt it, you will be too drugged up on morphine for the first few days :wink:
Reply 191
Doubt it, you will be too drugged up on morphine for the first few days :wink:

Yay! Now you've said that i want to be as unconscious as possible so i won't feel a thing :biggrin: Pain and discomfort are my main worries (and the needle at the start - i have a thing about needles in your hands) so as long as the painkillers are working i'll just have my ipod then :smile:
Yay! Now you've said that i want to be as unconscious as possible so i won't feel a thing :biggrin: Pain and discomfort are my main worries (and the needle at the start - i have a thing about needles in your hands) so as long as the painkillers are working i'll just have my ipod then :smile:

you probably wont have a lot of energy.

I think the worst thing will be - is eating.

So make sure you EAT everything you like right now :wink:
I'm Hopefully having jaw surgery for a open bite and a underbite. I've never been more excited for something in my whole life, I just have a few questions most of which has been answered when i've been reading through this-
My only other question is does it leave you with a scar? I honestly could care less if it does I just care probably too much about my appearance because of been bullied about my jaw/appearance ect..

Hopefully going to ask my orthodontist about the operation and to see if I'm ready to be refereed to the hospital yet, I've had my brace for coming up to 2 year now and I'm hoping for it to be done soon! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Ashleighjade2
I'm Hopefully having jaw surgery for a open bite and a underbite. I've never been more excited for something in my whole life, I just have a few questions most of which has been answered when i've been reading through this-
My only other question is does it leave you with a scar? I honestly could care less if it does I just care probably too much about my appearance because of been bullied about my jaw/appearance ect..

Hopefully going to ask my orthodontist about the operation and to see if I'm ready to be refereed to the hospital yet, I've had my brace for coming up to 2 year now and I'm hoping for it to be done soon! :biggrin:

I had jaw surgery for an underbite and I have no scar whatsoever, nobody I know now would have any clue that I had had any form of jaw surgery. :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
I had jaw surgery for an underbite and I have no scar whatsoever, nobody I know now would have any clue that I had had any form of jaw surgery. :smile:

Aw right, Thank you! That's the biggest thought that crossed my mind and you've just settled it!
Reply 196
you probably wont have a lot of energy.

I think the worst thing will be - is eating.

So make sure you EAT everything you like right now :wink:

Lol i will :biggrin:

I'm sorry i keep asking you questions but i'm having major last minute nerves right now. I'm on a page where people are sharing experiences and the swelling pictures are making me panicked and they all say the first week is painful and a nightmare, and seeing the tubes in their arms are horrible.
I'm a complete wimp when it comes to pain.
What do they mean when they say the first week is the worst? Pain, food, energy?
I'm freaking out right now :P

I'm sorry i keep asking you questions but i'm having major last minute nerves right now. I'm on a page where people are sharing experiences and the swelling pictures are making me panicked and they all say the first week is painful and a nightmare, and seeing the tubes in their arms are horrible.
What do they mean when they say the first week is the worst? Pain, food, energy?

I can send you a before - after pic if you want.

That will probably put your mind at ease , as you will then see it will be all be worthwhile for you.

To answer your question, food and energy is the worst aspect. You are too drugged out to feel the pain.
(edited 10 years ago)

I personally didn't feel any pain, didn't take any painkillers after the first few doses as it turned out I was intolerant to them, and it was ok! :smile: Only pain was when I was being sick DUE to said intolerances u__u That was admittedly scary.

The worst part for me was definetly the lack of energy, as the wire was done so tight it was difficult to take any thick liquids so watered down soup etc was the way to go, and I didn't have enough the first few days and so had little to no energy. As soon as you figure out how much food you need to have, and what works for you, it's ok!
I've been told I need jaw surgery and I'm not sure I want to go through with it yet. Anyway, this girl that I'm subscribed to on YouTube had a double jaw surgery and she vlogged about her whole experience. She's called Leanne Woodfull. This is the link to the first of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsyD9DE3-s. She has a fair few more on the procedure as well.

Latest