The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by air6199
to an extent i guess so, as long as you can back up the point you make, you'll be fine

ah i suppose. might just leave that question ha
Original post by snowster
I'm answering this question at the moment: Does a strong organisational culture guarantee business success in the long-term?

Can anyone give me an example of where a strong culture hasn't guaranteed success?

could you say that Kodak had a strong culture of complacency yet this did not guarantee them success

And RBS had a strong greed culture and a culture of excessive risk taking but again this didnt lead to success it led to them having to be bailed out £45bn by the government
'Culture as an competitive advantage' is a question I've just seen, that looks a likely question to come, but i don't really know how to tackle this. Help?! :confused:
Anyone got brief notes on Sony?
Reply 844
Has everyone finished research ?
I'm using Google, Apple, Barclay's as my main ones.
Mini case study - JLP, Virgin, Samsung, Royal Mail, Tata (takeover jaguar).

Also how did everyone do in Unit 1,2,3 ?
Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - B
Unit 4 -
27 UMS for B. 67 UMS for A (overall in Business)
Reply 845
How many case studies does everyone have for section B? And to double check what do we have them on, like how many topics :smile:
Original post by andyjack94
'Culture as an competitive advantage' is a question I've just seen, that looks a likely question to come, but i don't really know how to tackle this. Help?! :confused:

You could say how Culture has benefit a business as a whole. For example, John Lewis Partnership, where all employees are involved within the running of the business as they receive their own shares, thus making them more motivated and determined to increase productivity. This leads to an increase in revenue/profit and also increased their brand image as they treat everyone equally. Could also mention how they have a staff council, aiming to tackle any problems that anyone has, therefore making them more efficient as the employees can voice their concerns to ensure that they are resolved.

Could also mention Apple (innovative culture = Nokia lost their opportunity)
Reply 847
Original post by andyjack94

Culture maybe a source of competitive advantage -

Improves motivation > productivity > Lower absenteeism, labour turnover > improves efficiency and lowers cost of business > Thus capital can be focused in a different department > leading to new products etc to be released > improves brand awareness etc.

You might want to go deeper into something like the task culture which exists when teams are formed to complete particular tasks. A distinct team culture develops, and because the team is empowered to make decisions, task cultures can be created which fits side by side with an innovative culture. As such kaizan groups allow room for innovative growth and the development of a USP. Higher prices can be charged > profit/revenue increase

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 848
Original post by mattyon9

Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - B
Unit 4 -

Unit 1 B ; Unit 2 A ; Unit 3 D ; Unit 4- Need roughly 20 ums for C and 60 ums for a B HIGHLY UNLIKELY as i've barely revised Unit 4 :frown:
Reply 849

Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - B
Unit 4 -

Not finished yet, focusing on section B research atm...most of section A is sorted :smile:
And I got:
Unit 1: 74
Unit 2: 96 (resat this a couple of weeks ago)
Unit 3: 50 (don't ask...I don't know what happened lol, hope I did better in the resit)
Unit 4: -

Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - B
Unit 4 -

A
B
A
68 for A.
Reply 851
Original post by kbr118
How many case studies does everyone have for section B? And to double check what do we have them on, like how many topics :smile:

For section B, i haven't really picked a number of businesses and researched everything about them in detail like with section A, but rather found several examples that fit in with each of the different topic areas that could come up e.g. retrenchment, csr and ethics, globalisation, economic climate etc etc
Original post by shannonsnelling
could you say that Kodak had a strong culture of complacency yet this did not guarantee them success

And RBS had a strong greed culture and a culture of excessive risk taking but again this didnt lead to success it led to them having to be bailed out £45bn by the government

Why did i get a negative?!!

Just trying to help!!
Reply 853
Original post by nadster
Not finished yet, focusing on section B research atm...most of section A is sorted :smile:
And I got:
Unit 1: 74
Unit 2: 96 (resat this a couple of weeks ago)
Unit 3: 50 (don't ask...I don't know what happened lol, hope I did better in the resit)
Unit 4: -

Your total ums is the same as mine haha :smile: Unit 1: 56 Unit 2: 108 Unit 3 : 56
Reply 854
Original post by iAhmedd
Your total ums is the same as mine haha :smile: Unit 1: 56 Unit 2: 108 Unit 3 : 56

Haha:biggrin: Its kind of scary thinking about the fact that if I haven't improved in units 2 and 3 then i need full UMS in this unit to secure an A which is what i need to get into uni lol
but hopefully i have improved, unit 3 felt much better this time around and unit 2 was a dream :colone:
Original post by laurenculver24
You could say how Culture has benefit a business as a whole. For example, John Lewis Partnership, where all employees are involved within the running of the business as they receive their own shares, thus making them more motivated and determined to increase productivity. This leads to an increase in revenue/profit and also increased their brand image as they treat everyone equally. Could also mention how they have a staff council, aiming to tackle any problems that anyone has, therefore making them more efficient as the employees can voice their concerns to ensure that they are resolved.

Could also mention Apple (innovative culture = Nokia lost their opportunity)

My line of analysis for Apple which i just did was in the regions off = New, innovative products being released - iphone 2007, which shifted the market share from competitors to them. This market share can then lead to them exploiting economies of scale and expanding their production, leading to lower costs which could be passed on to consumers therefore leading to a potential increase in sales and therefore profits.

is that right?
[video="youtube;9dFvhq2sKfM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dFvhq2sKfM[/video]

Here's a little ditty for you guys on Mergers and Acquisitions.
Reply 857
anyone have any example for political and legal enironment? or is everyone just avoiding this part?
Reply 858
Original post by iggyDash
anyone have any example for political and legal enironment? or is everyone just avoiding this part?

Best one would probably be Google pulling out of China due to political stances and red tape to their search engine, so they have shifted their services toward Hong Kong.
Hey, so this is a pretty random question but I couldn't seem to find an answer anywhere.. Is it a bad idea to use anecdotes at all? For example talking about something you know from a previous experience (like apple customer service) or somewhere you work (I work at John Lewis)
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending