The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by mattyon9
Best one would probably be Google pulling out of China due to political stances and red tape to their search engine, so they have shifted their services toward Hong Kong.

Thank you!
Has everyone finished research ?
I'm using Google, Apple, Barclay's as my main ones.
Mini case study - JLP, Virgin, Samsung, Royal Mail, Tata (takeover jaguar).

Also how did everyone do in Unit 1,2,3 ?
Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - B
Unit 4 -
27 UMS for B. 67 UMS for A (overall in Business)

I'm using Starbucks, Apple, Tata & Ford for my main ones, quite similar :smile:

Oh and,
Unit 1 - B (78%)
Unit 2 - C (68% - retook two weeks ago, went okay hoping for a high B-low A)
Unit 3 - A* (100% - still in shock)
Unit 4

I think I need like 60% for an A but 80% for an A* :smile:
What are everyones business's they are using for Bullet point 5? I havent got any notes on this :frown:
Best one would probably be Google pulling out of China due to political stances and red tape to their search engine, so they have shifted their services toward Hong Kong.

do you have any notes on this? I dont know anything about it :colondollar:
Anyone fancy sharing any of their research notes on corporate planning, retrenchment, leadership, globalisation/emerging markets?

I am going to spend my day ensuring I am well equipped for section B and this would be of great help, thanks.
Reply 865
Original post by shannonsnelling
do you have any notes on this? I dont know anything about it :colondollar:

No sorry they are in my head :P
Second thoughts you might want to look into Barclay's with the libor scandal,
Apple ebook price fixing, Google, starbucks tax evasion.
Guys, can someone help me im a bit confused

so for bullet point one, one of my points is that the market and insudstries it operates in influence their culture... so for yahoo, as they are in a competitive market this has influenced their culture (this is the bit im not sure if im right on) because its made their culture mores strict, as Marissa Mayer has banned working from home, in order to make communication easier.

is that actually culture though?? or is it literally jsut changing how employees work?
Original post by sofiax0

so for bullet point one, one of my points is that the market and insudstries it operates in influence their culture... so for yahoo, as they are in a competitive market this has influenced their culture (this is the bit im not sure if im right on) because its made their culture mores strict, as Marissa Mayer has banned working from home, in order to make communication easier.

is that actually culture though?? or is it literally jsut changing how employees work?

How employees work is part of the layers of corporate culture

Jim
Original post by shannonsnelling
could you say that Kodak had a strong culture of complacency yet this did not guarantee them success

And RBS had a strong greed culture and a culture of excessive risk taking but again this didnt lead to success it led to them having to be bailed out £45bn by the government

Enron, RBS & Lehman Brothers all had strong cultures - based around greed, arrogance etc

look where that took them!

Jim
Original post by Jim Riley
How employees work is part of the layers of corporate culture

Jim

so i can make the point to say that the culture is more strict, by disallowing home working to make employees more efficient and better communication etc?
Original post by LukeKnights
Anyone fancy sharing any of their research notes on corporate planning, retrenchment, leadership, globalisation/emerging markets?

I am going to spend my day ensuring I am well equipped for section B and this would be of great help, thanks.

I have a few case studies for Retrenchment which you may find useful, they're not very detailed i'm afraid:

Volvo - stopped production in Swedish plant for a week because of the slowdown in the European market

BA - asked 40,000 employees to work unpaid for a month to reduce costs

Mattel - moved production to China which meant quality was really bad and they actually had to recall the dolls because they were hazardous

For Leadership:

Barclays and Amazon have very autocratic leaders.

Barclays
old leader Bob Diamond was often described as being extremely intimidating this is a quote from an article:

"The banker also describes the dark side of working for Mr Diamond's bank. He spoke of management by intimidation, even physical threat, punishing hours and a ruthless grading system that left workers in terror of their annual appraisals. Employees were often reduced to tears by the end of a day, but only when they had departed from the building. Such weakness would not be tolerated inside." http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/exclusive-barclays-insider-lifts-lid-on-banks-toxic-culture-7920809.html

although Barclay's now have a new leader Antony Jenkins who is trying to turn this toxic culture around.

Amazon's leader Jeff Bezos treats staff in a theory X way - they are really closely monitored and therefore have little motivation. They have little benefits and no training.

Then for examples of democratic leadership there's Zappos and Google

Zappos - Tony Hsieh likes to try and interview every prospective employee in order to see whether or not they will fit into the culture of Zappos. All staff are encouraged to share their opinions

Google - Larry Page - very soft HRM. The fact that they have young leaders probably has something to do with that. Employees are encouraged to stretch themselves, it is in the DNA of the business to experiment. A very fast-paced environment.

I hope this helps a little bit... I kind of went off topic.
Reply 872
Original post by nadster
Haha:biggrin: Its kind of scary thinking about the fact that if I haven't improved in units 2 and 3 then i need full UMS in this unit to secure an A which is what i need to get into uni lol
but hopefully i have improved, unit 3 felt much better this time around and unit 2 was a dream :colone:

I made a fatal error on not re-siting Unit 3 oh how I regret that decision :/ and I re-sat Unit 2 and yes as you've said it was a DREAM i'm hoping for full ums :colondollar:. My grade is business studies (Most likely C :frown: ) will stop me from going UCL and my insurance QM :rolleyes: going to be re-sitting unit 3 next year
Reply 873
Original post by sofiax0

a clearer one would be that due to the dynamic industry apple work in this influneced the massively to have an innovative culture .as new products are releases everytime in their market
How many marks do I need to achieve 60 ums? I'm currently on 180 ums and need a C overall minimum so how many marks is that roughly?
Strong culture - one that is internally consistent. Employees understand the core values of the organisation and act in a way which will help the business achieve their objectives.

Weak culture - Where toxic sub-cultures are formed. Employees of the business do not follow the core values and objectives and act in a way that only benefits themselves.

Is this correct?
Reply 876
Original post by Infamous12
Strong culture - one that is internally consistent. Employees understand the core values of the organisation and act in a way which will help the business achieve their objectives.

Weak culture - Where toxic sub-cultures are formed. Employees of the business do not follow the core values and objectives and act in a way that only benefits themselves.

Is this correct?

yes, But some bad cultures could be strong like Enron's culture of Greed
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MrChuckNorris
How many marks do I need to achieve 60 ums? I'm currently on 180 ums and need a C overall minimum so how many marks is that roughly?

well last year in june, you needed 42 raw marks for 60 ums.
Reply 878

What grade does 60 ums =

Ok so I need 50 UMS to get a B overall. I need less than half marks to get that? Damn!

Quick Reply