The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CubePL
Do you guys have any examples of companies which used GOOD contingency planning and avoided losses?

Well i'd say it's probably best to steer clear of anything BP related... :P

Nope sorry i don't have any good examples of this.
Where would it be appropriate to mention Apple and the suicides due to poor conditions at their foxconn plants in China?
Original post by iggyDash
Even section b? what and how many examples have you got for it

Overall I have 15 case studies. I've missed a couple of sections out though which I realised a couple of minutes ago :tongue: Contingency planning being the main one, although I'm struggling with research for this..
Reply 943
Original post by jayward_2013
Well i'd say it's probably best to steer clear of anything BP related... :P

Nope sorry i don't have any good examples of this.

I got Cadbury's management of salmonella threat in 2006 as successful contingency planning and BP oil spillage in Gulf of Mexico as failed contingency planning. Extra, I have the 'millenium bug' costly hoax which incurred thousands of pounds for unnecessary planning.
Original post by LukeKnights
Hopefully this will be of some help, although there isn't much theory here, just research:

-96% of staff voted against privatisation.

I assume that was before Greene? Otherwise hasn't she failed?
scrap my last post, Nokia isn't a successful retrenchment, their sales were poor in the first 3 months of 2013, share prices falling too
Original post by snowster
Overall I have 15 case studies. I've missed a couple of sections out though which I realised a couple of minutes ago :tongue: Contingency planning being the main one, although I'm struggling with research for this..

Is there any chance whats so ever that you could possibly email me your 15 case studies? I'm in such a pickle with them all, and could really use something to just clarify everything with? Thaaanks in advance x
Original post by andyjack94
scrap my last post, Nokia isn't a successful retrenchment, their sales were poor in the first 3 months of 2013, share prices falling too

It's a minor success, but it's an improvement on where they were. I'd still say you could argue Nokia's retrenchment as a success.
Reply 948
Factors influencing the culture of an organisation and cultural differences within an organisation
Leadership
Google
· Larry Page uses a democratic leadership’s style that allows the core workers the individual responsibility within R&D to develop new products.
· Entrepreneurial culture Creativity, Innovation and Risk Taking is encouraged. Failure is not criticized.
· Larry has increased R&D budget $3.76 to $6.79 in 2012. This has shown his commitment to innovation
· Delegates and empowers his employees.
· They have a decentralised decision making process where core workers have the autonomy to work on new products such as a self-driving car and Google glass.
· It is vital they make innovative products as they have tough competition from Apple, Samsung and Microsoft.

Vogue
· Anna Wintour has a power based culture that has been developed because of her sphere of influence in the fashion world.
· Decision making is centralised and no major decisions are made unless they are accepted by Anna.
· Power culture started back in the 80’s where she transformed the business and faced competition from competitors such as Elle.
· Her autocratic leadership style ensures that everyone within the organisation strives for excellence to please Wintour.
· If they can’t meet her requirements then they are most likely to be replaced.
· She has used her influence to place fashion designers such as Tom Food and Alexandra McQueen.
· She has also helped develop careers of celebrities in sport, music, film and politics. This is a benefit to Anna Wintour as the celebrities support Wintour in developing Vogues product range and image.
· One of her covers featured an Israeli model who wore designer and high street clothes.

Employees
Virgin
· Virgin believes in making a difference. We stand for value for money, quality, innovation, fun and a sense of competitive challenge. We strive to achieve this by empowering our employees to continually deliver an unbeatable customer experience.
· Across its companies, Virgin employs approximately 50,000 people, in 34 countries and global branded revenues in 2011 were around £13bn ($21bn).
· Virgin Group companies are part of one big family rather than a hierarchy. They are empowered to run their own affairs, yet the companies actively help one another, and solutions to problems are often sourced from within the Group. In a sense they form a commonwealth, with shared ideas, values, interest and goals.
· Virgins values and beliefs:-
o Value for Money Offering more for your money
o Good Quality Going that little bit further in everything we do.
o Brilliant Customer Service Delivering amazing customer service. Treating each other with respect and empathy is the heart of every Virgin company.
o Innovative and Challenging Supporting creativity and challenging convention and freedom is a huge part.
o Fun Fun is the secret of Virgin’s success.
Reply 949
Original post by andyjack94

Don't assume that it's unsuccessful - it might take a long time for any Nokia's implemented change to start working. Don't assume that the change will happen overnight! :biggrin:
Original post by alicejackson95
Is there any chance whats so ever that you could possibly email me your 15 case studies? I'm in such a pickle with them all, and could really use something to just clarify everything with? Thaaanks in advance x

I could send you the few which I have typed up if you like? Most of them are hand written, because that makes me actually learn it when I research :tongue: PM me your e-mail address?
Can some one please help me out with some example for point 4 and 5 for the research theme in a bit of a tiz at the moment
Original post by CubePL
I got Cadbury's management of salmonella threat in 2006 as successful contingency planning and BP oil spillage in Gulf of Mexico as failed contingency planning. Extra, I have the 'millenium bug' costly hoax which incurred thousands of pounds for unnecessary planning.

Nice, yea i meant obviously don't mention BP contingency planning as successful lol.

Yea i am learning BUSS4 by myself and i really don't know where to start, in terms of research.... as it's tomorrow, i thought i may just try to memorise 2-3 bussiness... but im not sure which ones are best just for the topic of culture....

I don't know if Google would be a good business to talk about regarding their culture and their leadership style which clearly seems to be laissez-faire
how many companies did you guys do for each topic? I have done 3 for each but i dont know if its enough.
Reply 954
Ideas for 'To what extent do you believe technology to be the biggest influence on corporate culture'?
Could someone please give me a list of all the possible topics that can come up in Section B tomorrow? I don't even know what I should be revising for section B.. I've got M&A, Ethics/CSR, leadership styles and retrenchment/recession so far. What are the other topics that can come up? Thanks
Original post by YoloPirate
I'm using Starbucks, Apple, Tata & Ford for my main ones, quite similar :smile:

Oh and,
Unit 1 - B (78%)
Unit 2 - C (68% - retook two weeks ago, went okay hoping for a high B-low A)
Unit 3 - A* (100% - still in shock)
Unit 4

I think I need like 60% for an A but 80% for an A* :smile:

How do the boundaries work?
Unit 1: B
Unit 2: B
Unit 3: A (84UMS)

Apparently I can still get an A*?
Honestly I will be willing to give you all my research material for help for the last two bullet points.
I am talking 8 word document pages of examples. PLEASE
Is diversification the best strategy to achieve profitable growth?

Are emerging markets the best opportunity for major profit growth?

Two questions from Tutor2u, anybody got any application examples they could share that they'd use? :smile:
Somebody just put this link on Get Revising. I've not looked at it in depth but it looks great!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95602354/Extensive%20Buss%204%20Revision%20Notes.docx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending