The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Overall in my opinion, tougher than any past paper on this specification. Most of it should have been well answered but if you compare this paper to the other papers, the others were all the same and this one tried to put a different spin on things. I can see a lot of candidates dropping marks on the Q=mcT question, the question with Co2+ as a catalyst, and the very last question. These questions had quite a bit of weight to them as well, 2 of them were 5 markers.

Not only that, I can imagine that some people would lose marks on the E=hv questions by not understanding that a red solution actually absorbs blue light.

However, I can't see the boundaries changing that much to be honest because it's AQA :/

Lowest it has been so far is 79/100 for an A* on past papers. I can possibly imagine 76-77 being an A* on this paper? I could be wrong though :s
Original post by bananarama2
I tagged that on the end :tongue:

I think it's just variable oxidation states, because it said why can it act as not how does it act as a catalyst.
Original post by brittanna
On 8)a), would just saying that cobalt ions have variable oxidation states and so provide an alternate reaction route with a lower activation energy get you the first mark or two?

I would say one...it shows that you need to use Co2+ and Co3+ so not sure if you'll get a mark for talking about oxidations states, I may be wrong though.
Reply 3003
2) calculate the enthalpy of solution for KBr (2)
why is the hydration enthalpy of the Cl- ion larger than that of the Br- ion? (3)
the enthalpy change for this reaction is +17.3kJmol-1 , explain why the dissolution of KBr is feasible above x degrees (2)
calculate the temperature after the KBr dissolves (5)

3) write an equation linking deltaG, deltaH and deltaS (1)
why is entropy=0 at 0K (2)
why does the line slope at the start of the graph (2)
Mark on the boiling point (1)
Why is the change L2 greater than change L1 (2)
some questions missing here...

why can this graph be represented as y=mx+c (2)
what is the significance of the deltaG value below 500K (1)
and again some questions missing here..
I didn't put it but I was asked by someone to ask this:

For the MgO bonding question, could you say it was ionic and then say you would dissolve it in water and then test the pH and it would give a basic value of around 10?
Reply 3005
Original post by mulac1
why is the hydration enthalpy of the Cl- ion larger than that of the Br- ion? (3)
the enthalpy change for this reaction is +17.3kJmol-1 , explain why the dissolution of KBr is feasible above x degrees (2)

There was a question that involved calculating the formation enthalpy from T and Delta S
Reply 3006
Original post by AndyMacCormick
I didn't put it but I was asked by someone to ask this:

For the MgO bonding question, could you say it was ionic and then say you would dissolve it in water and then test the pH and it would give a basic value of around 10?

unfortunately I do not think so, since Mg(OH)2 is only sparingly soluble in water.
Reply 3007
For the Q=MxCxdeltaT I got 284K

What was the answer as people have been suggesting 311K but no one has confirmed it.

thanks
Questions 4b was why is SiO2 insoluble in water!
Reply 3009
Original post by popnit
Thats exactly what i put

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxidation state
Shape of complex
Number of ligands I think
But that's not what I wrote :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait you needed to write about cobalts various oxidation states? I just said about alternate route w. lower activation energy, then wrote the two equations? God ****ing hell
Reply 3011
Original post by _jamie
There was a question that involved calculating the formation enthalpy from T and Delta S

ok :smile: thanks - can you remember if it was q2 or 3 ..and can you remember which compound?
Original post by Hippokrates
I think it's just variable oxidation states, because it said why can it act as not how does it act as a catalyst.

I originally just put that. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to write down the normal cat. stuff.
Original post by mulac1

Lets get some answers on these questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3014
Original post by AndyMacCormick
Questions 4b was why is SiO2 insoluble in water!

yep - was it 2 or 3 marks?
Original post by bananarama2
I originally just put that. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to write down the normal cat. stuff.

Sorry :smile:
Where is this markscheme, I've only seen bits of it floating around?
Original post by mulac1

Pretty sure it was 3 caus I hoped I would get 2!
Original post by mulac1

3 marks
Reply 3018
I see thanks.. right I will try and write a MS for questions 1,4,5,6,7 and 8 then post them for 'peer-review' so to speak.
please try and remember the remaining questions for Q2 and Q3
Original post by mulac1
ok :smile: thanks - can you remember if it was q2 or 3 ..and can you remember which compound?

yea was enthalpy change. i wrote down on my calculator =242080J but i cant remember the temperature. maybe 3920 k pops into my head? question 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending