The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linabina94
Can anyone help me with trying to bring in a relevant theory in order to support a point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, here's part of a conclusion I wrote to the essay 'To what extent do you agree that an organisational culture based on high employee rewards will inevitably damage business performance in the long run?"

β€œ....However that just goes to show that the successful companies, those that perform well in the long-term, may have some sort of a reward system in play, but also focus on other aspects that aim to enhance performance. John Lewis, for example, gives all employees a say as to how the company is run through annual Partner Surveys. This can be linked to Ed Shein’s culture theory- John Lewis deals with the β€œartifacts” element of Schein’s model by splitting profits equally between employees, but also attempts to deal with the β€œparadigm” element by making employees feel important and valued....”
Original post by BARCEMO
You got anything for technological change...all i have is

Apple: Have used technology as their USP Γ  they embrace advances in technology and try not to be outshone technologically
Sony: The advances in technology may be the death of sony who used to be high fliers in the technology world but have now been overstepped by apple and Samsung. Could this be the end of the road for Sony?
Nokia: Another example of what falling behind can do. Nokia were once a leading phone manufacturer who are now an obsolete brand
Samsung: Like apple they have embraced technology. They are the leading chip manufacturer in the world and their phone market has blossomed. Their recent TV release ahead of apple may mean they are getting ahead of the game
3% of grocery shopping is done online, by 2012 its forecasted to rise to 12%.

I have nothing to add to that, sorry :s-smilie:
Original post by kimberley_jane
any one help me out with primarks culture? what type of culture do they have?

Like this "hey you make me shoes ill pay you 1pence a day and then i will export them and make lots of profit".
Original post by nadster
You're very welcome :biggrin:

For the essays do we have to include a lot of theory of just bits and pieces? Cause our teacher that the main thing is our examples and developing those points
Reply 1104
Original post by nadster
I have nothing to add to that, sorry :s-smilie:

Technology change I used Royal mail because they're going through significant renovation to use technology in the way they operate in order to modernise and compete with T&T etc, good for culture change too! Old company using new technology
Β£120M investment in tech
idk how much in training
Moya green (Leader) Announced she spends 20% of her time communicating to employees why it's happening
Reply 1105
Original post by CharlotteD1
We're told to refer to 2 businesses and the item in Section A and 3 businesses in the Section B essay, with the possibility of mentioning an extra 1 to justify your line of argument

Ahh, thanks :smile:
Original post by butterflyy
For the essays do we have to include a lot of theory of just bits and pieces? Cause our teacher that the main thing is our examples and developing those points

I don't think a lot of theory is needed, as long as you can just show that you know what you're talking about you'll be fine
I've researched John Lewis, Royal Mail, Amazon, Southwest Airlines, Google, Sony, Kodak, Enron, Starbucks. Just wondering how many businesses people have researched and how many topics they relate to in the buss4 spec. Ive pretty much covered them all I hope and I am wondering whether everyone else has as well?
Reply 1108
Original post by J_W-x
Technology change I used Royal mail because they're going through significant renovation to use technology in the way they operate in order to modernise and compete with T&T etc, good for culture change too! Old company using new technology
Β£120M investment in tech
idk how much in training
Moya green (Leader) Announced she spends 20% of her time communicating to employees why it's happening

i probably should research royal mail sounds like it covers a wide range of topics
Original post by Astarplease01
Like this "hey you make me shoes ill pay you 1pence a day and then i will export them and make lots of profit".

hahaha yer I got that much, I just wondered if there as a more technical name for it :wink:
How much is everybody planning to write? I know essays should be based upon quality and not quantity but I don't think anyone's ever got an A* with only a page of work. I think for my last essay I wrote 3 pages worth, with an introduction, 4 paragraphs then a conclusion but that's right to the wire in terms of how much I can write in the time given.
im in the zone lol feels somewhat good.

Anyone have notes/links off contingency planning
Original post by nadster
I don't think a lot of theory is needed, as long as you can just show that you know what you're talking about you'll be fine

Yeah that's true to a certain point. However, its vital to have good theory as that shows your a student of business studies. Obviously don't overload your essay with theory but its vital to pick up analysis marks
Original post by iAhmedd
I've researched John Lewis, Royal Mail, Amazon, Southwest Airlines, Google, Sony, Kodak, Enron, Starbucks. Just wondering how many businesses people have researched and how many topics they relate to in the buss4 spec. Ive pretty much covered them all I hope and I am wondering whether everyone else has as well?

I've researched most of those...don't have much on Amazon though. Zappos is AMAZING..covers lots of topics. Nordstrom is an interesting one as is Huawei
Did Steve Elop bring forward changes as a new leader or was he already the leader of Nokia and then decide to implement change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Astarplease01
Word of advice ALWAYS refer back to the question that way if you have written alot of bs it will seem good and legit. Got me a very high B with no revision apart from a brief chat with my teacher before the exam.

Are you being for real? So you didn't have any examples of businesses or anything? :O
Reply 1116
Original post by iAhmedd

Probably that is enough as I got around 7 anyway.. The one which I've researched are: Google, Apple, Vogue, M&S, BA, Barclays, RBS, Ford and Jaguar,
Reply 1117
Original post by BARCEMO
i probably should research royal mail sounds like it covers a wide range of topics

OH! and Moya green is a new leader too
Original post by kimberley_jane
hahaha yer I got that much, I just wondered if there as a more technical name for it :wink:

Exploitationism...

Spoiler

:laugh:
Reply 1119
Original post by nadster
I've researched most of those...don't have much on Amazon though. Zappos is AMAZING..covers lots of topics. Nordstrom is an interesting one as is Huawei

Hey! Can you just go though of what Zappos can be used for as I know they had a quite relaxing culture and they gave 1000 dollars if their employees are not committed to work i.e oif they leave..

Quick Reply

Latest