The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Also, what are people thinking for the six markers for the core/astro papers?

I'm personally hoping for thermal derivation of the pV=1/3NM(crms)^2, cause its mentioned on the spec.

For astro stellar evolution wouldn't be too bad, or comparing the advantages/disadvantages of refracting & reflecting telescopes. Not sure what else is a potential question really...

I can't be certain, but I'm fairly certai you won't be getting a question on the gas law derivation directly. They do the six-marker tiered - you can't really tier a derivation, and it's too long to do as a "short" question.
Use
C=k/x^2
find k from the original Count rate=0.62 and distance, the rest follows.
Reply 1182
It's not a sig fig question so you shouldn't worry too much, sometimes they'll even put the non rounded figure in brackets in the mark scheme like: 9.2 (9.15) but to be on the safe side just try to do the minimum sig figs in the question

I try to do this anyway but when I'm marking my own papers it gets a bit ambiguous :smile: Thanks! :tongue:

Another similar thing is, when they say something like "Show x is about 5" so you show it equals to 4.9 and then in the next part you have to do a calculation with that number, do you use 5 or 4.9? My teacher said 4.9 but the mark schemes tend to use 5 :/
Original post by iwantopas19
paper was really easy to be honest. but i screwed. :/

Lol yh like I wrote nucleophilic instead of electrophilic, forgot to times moles by 2 in the end

Quite a few I couldn't attempt

2 scientist names : kukele & "Paul"

I don't know who paul was, but just sounded like a chemist's typical name to me at the time -_-
Is latent heat absorbed by the other mass? I'm guessing not but then what exactly happens to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1185
Original post by Matt III
I try to do this anyway but when I'm marking my own papers it gets a bit ambiguous :smile: Thanks! :tongue:

Another similar thing is, when they say something like "Show x is about 5" so you show it equals to 4.9 and then in the next part you have to do a calculation with that number, do you use 5 or 4.9? My teacher said 4.9 but the mark schemes tend to use 5 :/

Well what I do is, if it says: "Show that it is about 5" I use the raw value because know we both know it's not actually 5, it's just around 5.
I do usually try it with the rounded value and see if I get the same answer (which it usually is anyway to about 2-3 s.f.) so it would end up not mattering. Then again, that's just me so if the mark schemes are using rounded values, go for it :smile:
Original post by jarasta
Use
C=k/x^2
find k from the original Count rate=0.62 and distance, the rest follows.

i do that though to find K and i get 0.0486 (0.62 x 0.28^2) but the mark scheme is telling me it should be 0.028 :s-smilie:
Original post by cooldudeman
Is latent heat absorbed by the other mass? I'm guessing not but then what exactly happens to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean other mass ?

If something is being cooled down & the heat is going towards something else to reach thermal equilibrium then some of the heat given may be latent heat, that is if the cooling substance changes state ofcourse
Reply 1188
Hey, on the June 2010 astro paper, q 2b ii) has stumped me.

It asks to calculate the difference in brightness of 2 stars (show that it's 8000)
the mark scheme says:
difference in magnitude = 9.8
so difference in brightness = 2.5^9.8

just want to know, where did this 2.5 come from? :s-smilie:
Need help on 4c1371668466709.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by posthumus
What do you mean other mass ?

If something is being cooled down & the heat is going towards something else to reach thermal equilibrium then some of the heat given may be latent heat, that is if the cooling substance changes state ofcourse

OK I actually get it now. Nm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1191
Original post by miike183
Hey, on the June 2010 astro paper, q 2b ii) has stumped me.

It asks to calculate the difference in brightness of 2 stars (show that it's 8000)
the mark scheme says:
difference in magnitude = 9.8
so difference in brightness = 2.5^9.8

just want to know, where did this 2.5 come from? :s-smilie:

A magnitude 1 star is 2.5x brighter than a mag 2 star. Each magnitude class is 2.5 times brighter than the previous one. So as there is a difference to 9.8 for the magnitude, the ratio of brightness is 2.5^9.8.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1192
Original post by cooldudeman
Need help on 4c1371668466709.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so the question says 98 J are delivered each second.
So after 30 seconds, the total amount of energy applied to the ice is:
98x30= 2940 Joules.

We know that the temp change is 14 as it goes from -14 degrees to 0.

Then we can use the equation E = mc(delta)T and rearrange to find c, the specific heat capacity.
c = E/m(delta)T
so
c = 2940/ (0.1 x 14) = 2100 J kg^-1 K-1

the mass has to be in kg so convert 100g = 0.1kg
and the change in temp is the same whether Kelcvin or Celcius :biggrin:

*edit* I did the wrong question didn't I? ¬.¬
gahh, well, more practise for me I guess..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1193
Original post by amish123
A magnitude 1 star is 2.5x brighter than a mag 2 star. Each magnitude class is 2.5 times brighter than the previous one. So as there is a difference to 9.8 for the magnitude, the ratio of brightness is 2.5^9.8.

Hope that helps.

oh cheers yeah that does. :biggrin:

I'm so screwed for astro.
I'm okay on topics 9-11, but astro just kills me.
Original post by miike183
Okay so the question says 98 J are delivered each second.
So after 30 seconds, the total amount of energy applied to the ice is:
98x30= 2940 Joules.

We know that the temp change is 14 as it goes from -14 degrees to 0.

Then we can use the equation E = mc(delta)T and rearrange to find c, the specific heat capacity.
c = E/m(delta)T
so
c = 2940/ (0.1 x 14) = 2100 J kg^-1 K-1

the mass has to be in kg so convert 100g = 0.1kg
and the change in temp is the same whether Kelcvin or Celcius :biggrin:

*edit* I did the wrong question didn't I? ¬.¬
gahh, well, more practise for me I guess..

Hmmm :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
astrophysics related

can spherical aberration be completely eliminated by using parabolic mirrors?
Original post by Jack93o
astrophysics related

can spherical aberration be completely eliminated by using parabolic mirrors?

Yes.
Original post by Thr33
I can't be certain, but I'm fairly certai you won't be getting a question on the gas law derivation directly. They do the six-marker tiered - you can't really tier a derivation, and it's too long to do as a "short" question.

Ah I see where you're coming from with the tier thing. Damn.

I can't really think what they could ask thermal side?

Unless its a nuclear question... :frown: although if it was something like discuss the principle features of a nuclear reactor which enable it to operate safely or something I wouldn't be fussed cause I find that pretty straightforward.
What does the gradient of an activity - time graph represent? (Like the tangental gradient?)
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Ah I see where you're coming from with the tier thing. Damn.

I can't really think what they could ask thermal side?

Unless its a nuclear question... :frown: although if it was something like discuss the principle features of a nuclear reactor which enable it to operate safely or something I wouldn't be fussed cause I find that pretty straightforward.

I have a feeling the 6 marker may be on comparing nuclear fission with fusion, and the safety aspects of both or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending