The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by MrChuckNorris
What are some good examples of bad/poor leaders?

Steve jobs, Richard barson, Bill gates, Terry Leahy

bad: Steven Elop, Bob Diamond
Business example for diversification?
Reply 1202
Confused with the structure.
Section A is the culture question which you relate to the bullet points and businesses.
Section B is given topic, do you still mention businesses?
Original post by BARCEMO
Could anyone help me plan JUN12 BUSS4 Q03 answer?

-1.jpg
-2.jpg
-3.jpg
-4.jpg
sorry about the writing lol
Reply 1204
Original post by kimberley_jane
any one got a good example for globalization?

Im going to use Coca cola for that one, I got it from
http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/globalisation-coca-cola-the-ultimate-global-brand :smile:
Original post by BARCEMO
Barclays, Enron..Think anyone who does badly can be considered as having a weak culture?

No, weak culture means there's very little alignment with the company's core values and objectives. Despite Enron failing spectacularly, there culture was very strong as everyone was working towards the company's core objectives of short profits and risk taking, despite this being wholly unethical, it was still a very strong culture.

Weak culture =/= a company doing badly.
Reply 1206
Original post by nadster
-1.jpg
-2.jpg
-3.jpg
-4.jpg
sorry about the writing lol

You thoughts are kinda the same as mine but its like comparing First class to economy... i never knew you could use lewin like that...i need to remember that line for the exam ... you doing a essay now?
Reply 1207
Could anyone give me examples/notes on businesses that have done retrenchment ? Please
Original post by livvyparr

Tesco into the family meals market with their takeover of Giraffe.

Nestle into healthcare.
Reply 1209
Original post by Superunknown17
No, weak culture means there's very little alignment with the company's core values and objectives. Despite Enron failing spectacularly, there culture was very strong as everyone was working towards the company's core objectives of short profits and risk taking, despite this being wholly unethical, it was still a very strong culture.

Weak culture =/= a company doing badly.

Ohhh i see..got to remember that
Original post by BARCEMO
You thoughts are kinda the same as mine but its like comparing First class to economy... i never knew you could use lewin like that...i need to remember that line for the exam ... you doing a essay now?

No but i feel as though i should be haha... we could do one together as a group on here maybe?
Original post by nasheboy
Could anyone give me examples/notes on businesses that have done retrenchment ? Please

Thomas Cook
Tesco
Thorntons
hi guys ( billy bob is not my real name)
soz about the late post
lol a day before the exam but never too late
right im also doing buss4 and the research topic of culture, it took some time getting around it
i will go through what you will need to know for the exam and a few examples at the end

firstly define culture- the attitudes, values and beliefs of the people in the organisation that control the way they interact with each other and external groups
What are the types of culture?
Handy's
-Power
-task
-role
-person

Bureaucratic - emphasizes on role and procedures
entrepreneurial - reward for innovation and risk

BP1- factors influencing culture
-nature of the business- what does it do, for example a business in the technology industry would have a competitive and innovative culture
-leadership- 3 types, autocratic(makes all decisions), democratic( listens to opinions but makes overall decision), laissez faire(trust employees fully, leave it up to them)
-employees- they are the ones who make the business run, without them the business wouldnt run
-external factors (can be linked to the nature of the business) - but mainly shareholders that are involved

BP2- impacts of culture on strategies and performance
what can it impact ?
-communication levels
-levels of innovation
- employer employee relations
- hard or soft HRM
- attitude to CSR
How it impacts on performance?
- financial results, for example change in culture makes employees do less
- employee behaviour ^
- innovation levels, lack of motivation and inspiration
- brand image

BP3- reasons for change
- performance
- new leadership/ owners
- organic growth
- coperrate objectives
- market conditions

BP4- ways of changing culture ( to be honest i didnt fully understand this section)
ways to change
- focus on existing positives
- full commitment
- key personell
- establish objectives
- explain the need for change
- convince employees

Cummings & Warley ( i dont know exactly who they are)
- clear strategy vision
- top level commitment
- modify organisation
- build on evaluation process

3 I's
- Inspiration - encourage, persuade, convince the new way is the better way
- Information - using evidence to support why you need to change
- Intimidation - using force, threat, if you dont change you can leave

remember THE POSITIVES OF THE CHANGE MUST ALWAYS OUTWEIGH THE NEGATIVES OF THE CHANGE
Also THE POSITIVES OF THE CHANGE MUST ALWAYS OUTWEIGH THE REASONS NOT TO CHANGE

BP5- problems
why do people resist
- fear
- trust issues
- being ridiculed
- impact on staff
- risk involved

why is it difficult
- people to attached to the old ways
- industry type
- cost involved
- time involved
-and the reason itself

remember THE STRONGER THE OLD CULTURE IS, THE HARDER IT WILL BE TO CHANGE IT

Examples
- Barclay's - Bob Diamond, turned the high street bank into a international investment bank, from a service culture to a profit maximizing culure
- Barclay's - Antony Jenkins- after bob, had to sort out barclays, took a autocratic leadership style , anyone who disagreed was fired, it was hard for him because most prefered Bob's culture
- Vogue - Anna (i dont know her last name) was employeed as head after her father, turned the company around, innovated instead of models use celebrities
- Apple - Steve jobs focused on quality Culture, employees manager of pepsi who changes the company to Profits maximizing culture
- VW financial service ( a seperate company part of the Volkswagen company) - they were doing bad, government said you need to change or your out, hard for them to change, approached a
tough guy culture, got rid of the top level members who didnt agree, also had problems with employees , half of them were okay, other half were still used to the old ways

- Your school can be an organisation, if you school has come under new management ( like mine), identify any changes made and look at the techniques that the head has used and try to associate it with a type of leadership style, also after the changes made , was there any improvement, what was the old culture and what is the new culture like
Reply 1213
Original post by nadster
No but i feel as though i should be haha... we could do one together as a group on here maybe?

go on i wouldn't mind whoever finishes first wins
Original post by BARCEMO
go on i wouldn't mind whoever finishes first wins

haha i was thinking more along the lines of one paragraph each type thing, but your idea is cool :cool: let's pick a hard title... any ideas?
Reply 1215
Original post by livvyparr

I guess Virgin Media?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1216
Original post by nadster
haha i was thinking more along the lines of one paragraph each type thing, but your idea is cool :cool: let's pick a hard title... any ideas?

erm let me check
Reply 1217
Original post by nadster

jan11 q3 seems super hard to me... lets do the one paragraph thing
So which companies actually have a 'weak' culture?

I would say Nokia and GSK?
Original post by BARCEMO
erm let me check

How about... do you agree that organisational culture is the most important intangible asset of a successful business?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending