The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Is there a chance a six marker might come up on something to do with the thermal side of this unit? I really hope not...
Original post by Jack93o
mass is always less than it was before for fission and fusion

So for fission the new nuclei have less mass than the original?
Reply 1242
Original post by D4rth
Are you sure about the data sheet? It might be outdated. The newest data sheet says 931.3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it is then, I'm sure the one I'm given in the exam is the same, but I wouldn't put it past my school to give me the wrong one. I'll just use 931.3 then to be sure, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1243
Original post by ThatRandomGuy

Yes. Hence you get energy out. E = mc^2 and all that.
Original post by Jack93o
they would never go something that specific for a 6 marker (i hope)

Maybe.

Or: explain how a CCD works and explain its advantages over photographic film
Original post by Jack93o
mass is always less than it was before for fission and fusion

yeah, increase in binding energy leads to decrease in mass

How can fusion result in decrease in mass. I am confused :s-smilie:. Wont it increase like from 2 hydrogen to helium.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ThatRandomGuy

yeah
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Maybe.

:lolwut: what sort of advanatges are there over photographic film?

I know about the massively increased quantum efficiency with CCD, but what else?

I'd be ****ed if that question came up
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Maybe.

Is the advantage that, for a CCD, the quantum efficiency is much greater than that for photographic film, which is around 4% compared to a CCD with 70-80%?
Hey everyone

I dont understand how question 3 in June 2012 was answered... any help please?
Original post by sports_crazy
How can fusion result in decrease in mass. I am confused :s-smilie:. Wont it increase like from 2 hydrogen to helium.

As in there is a mass defect. The total mass of the two old nuclei combined will be slightly more than the larger, more stable nucleus created. This change in mass leads to energy given out to the surroundings (equivalent to E=(delta)mc^2).
Anyone doing turning points know whether the tip of an STM is positively or negatively charged? The textbook says negatively but I'm not convinced because surely it has to be positively charged so as it attracts the tunnelling electrons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sports_crazy

what I meant, is that the combined nucleus would have less mass than the two individual nuclei which were fused together

e.g.

each of those nuclei has a mass of 1kg

now, you'd expect the combined nucleus to be 2kg (1kg + 1kg)

BUT that doesn't actually happens

the combined nucleus would lose some of the mass, leaving it with say 1.9kg

the reason it loses mass, is because the nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the two nuclei lose potential energy

energy = mc^2

so if you lose energy, you also lose mass

apparently the same effect can be seen with boiled water, if you weigh a cup of 100 degree Celsius water, it would weigh more than the same cup of water at room temperature for example (but the difference in mass is very very slim)
Original post by TeddyBasherz
Is the advantage that, for a CCD, the quantum efficiency is much greater than that for photographic film, which is around 4% compared to a CCD with 70-80%?

thats the only thing I could think of, maybe you could add that CCD is digital, so it could be more readily used for data analysis or some crap like that, but yeah, thats a nasty question
Original post by laser174572
Anyone doing turning points know whether the tip of an STM is positively or negatively charged? The textbook says negatively but I'm not convinced because surely it has to be positively charged so as it attracts the tunnelling electrons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably negatively charged due to the electrons.... the electrons are accelerated via a positive anode in an electric gun and then this accelerates through the microscope
Original post by anuradha_d
Hey everyone

I dont understand how question 3 in June 2012 was answered... any help please?

read this, it really helps me
http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/Q&A/KS5/radioactivity/Q13.html
Original post by posthumus
Probably negatively charged due to the electrons.... the electrons are accelerated via a positive anode in an electric gun and then this accelerates through the microscope

Don't the electrons quantum tunnel from the sample to the tip? I thought the one with an electron gun was transmission electron microscopy, not scanning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laser174572
Don't the electrons quantum tunnel from the sample to the tip? I thought the one with an electron gun was transmission electron microscopy, not scanning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay sorry don't listen to me :colondollar: I still need to read this stuff... I'm only assuming! :redface:

& there's turning points thread here I made: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2382437&page=4

Just easier to get to people who have turning points related questions
Original post by Jack93o
:lolwut: what sort of advanatges are there over photographic film?

I know about the massively increased quantum efficiency with CCD, but what else?

I'd be ****ed if that question came up

-Increased quantum efficiency
-Its digital - so it can be easily processed by computers/programmes
-Can detect wavelengths beyond visible light region - so astronomers benefit as they can explore more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending