The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Red Fox
I think you have to do an A2 FM module. so either FP2, FP3 or FP4. So none of them are compulsory but you must do one in your A2 modules.

edexcel ..dont have fp4 ... it might be different for different exam boards
i want to do all 18 .. but i dont think it will happen :colondollar:
Reply 801
Original post by Knowing
Even though I used both current and number of turns calculations, I think current is the one they're looking for. The question started with an example of her phone charger - if they really wanted us to work out the number of turns - they would want us to work out the exact number of turns, not just how many times more turns there were.

They probably wanted you to say something along the lines of "less turns on the secondary coil" without the need of calculation, and then explained how it was possible for voltage to drop, because this is made up by the fact that current increases (then give the current calculation), so there is no actual loss of energy. That's how you use current to answer the question - the only way voltage can be stepped down without energy loss (conservation of energy) is if current was increased to compensate for the drop in voltage.

Edit: Also some phone chargers can only work at a high enough current - so you could say that current increasing allows the charger to work.

There's an infinite range of "exact number of turns" - as long as it fits the 46:1 ratio it's fine, so I said there would be 46 more turns and as an example said the primary coil would have 46 turns and the secondary would have 1 (which fits the ratio).

The question was literally nothing to do with conservation of energy. That won't answer the "how does it work?" part. That would be something along the lines of "why does the current change?". You should have talked about the primary coil producing a constantly changing magnetic field which causes electromagnetic induction in the secondary coil.
Reply 802
Does any know the SUVAT question(s)?
How many marks was the electrical component Q and the disadvantages of small devices Q? Thanks
Reply 804
Original post by ryanb97
edexcel ..dont have fp4 ... it might be different for different exam boards
i want to do all 18 .. but i dont think it will happen :colondollar:

Ah I'm AQA. I think 18 will be too much work and you'd be better off going for 100 UMS in 12 but by all means go for it if you think you can do it.
Reply 805
Original post by andersson
There's an infinite range of "exact number of turns" - as long as it fits the 46:1 ratio it's fine, so I said there would be 46 more turns and as an example said the primary coil would have 46 turns and the secondary would have 1 (which fits the ratio).

The question was literally nothing to do with conservation of energy. That won't answer the "how does it work?" part. That would be something along the lines of "why does the current change?". You should have talked about the primary coil producing a constantly changing magnetic field which causes electromagnetic induction in the secondary coil.

Don't you think I did that? I'm just talking about the calculation aspect of the question here. If you are so convinced it was asking for number of turns, not current, then find me a past paper question that asks for number of turns, but not an exact answer.
Reply 806
Original post by Red Fox
Ah I'm AQA. I think 18 will be too much work and you'd be better off going for 100 UMS in 12 but by all means go for it if you think you can do it.

I personally feel that its easier to do 15/18 at a solid A...rathe than 12 100s..but im only comparing 3 modules ive done an the 2 I self taught since jan.....:smug::yy::hmpf::mmm::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 807
Original post by ryanb97
I personally feel that its easier to do 15/18 at a solid A...rathe than 12 100s..but im only comparing 3 modules ive done an the 2 I self taught since jan.....:smug::yy::hmpf::mmm::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't get any 100's. I can't do a maths paper without making silly mistakes:cry: but I should get A grades in every module and I'm gonna put everything into C3 and C4 because maths is my best shot at an A*.
Reply 808
Original post by Knowing
If you are so convinced it was asking for number of turns, not current, then find me a past paper question that asks for number of turns, but not an exact answer.

No. I'm perfectly content in my mind that working out the number of turns is a viable calculation which answers the "how would it be constructed" aspect and that working out the current is relatively irrelevant. Having you know that or not does not affect me.
Reply 809
No. I'm perfectly content in my mind that working out the number of turns is a viable calculation which answers the "how would it be constructed" aspect and that working out the current is relatively irrelevant. Having you know that or not does not affect me.

Neither does it affect me. As I said, I used both calculations in my answer. I am just saying that OCR would not just give you a piece of information (primary current) without wanting you to actually use and apply it within the question. Many previous exams have had answers which could be considered "irrelevant" to the question - but that was what they were looking for. I did not say you were wrong either, merely just stating that I think the calculation they were looking for was the current one, not the number of turns.

Anyway, I'm beginning to feel this discussion is getting a bit heated, so I'm just going to drop it. I've said what I've wanted to say.
Original post by benwalters1996
You didn't mention the catalyst :P But that seems like you should get full marks :smile:
That said...maybe those could be classed as 1 point? Not sure though :/

How did you find the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry just got your comment now haha and okay :-) The exam went okay for me I know I have got some questions wrong but overall the paper wasn't bad :-) wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 811
Original post by BP_Tranquility

Original post by Knowing

Original post by ryanb97

Any of you self teaching AS Chem/Physics/Maths over the summer? I thought if we have a few people we could set up a thread to discuss and help each other.
Reply 812
Original post by Red Fox
Any of you self teaching AS Chem/Physics/Maths over the summer? I thought if we have a few people we could set up a thread to discuss and help each other.

Im going to self teach some Maths,,,Chem ..and physics.....

Maths site : http://www.examsolutions.net

thats all you need tbh ^^^^^
Reply 813
Original post by Red Fox

Yes I am. Great idea. I skimmed through my chemistry and physics AS revision guides earlier - the content is fascinating. :smile:
Reply 814
Yes I am. Great idea. I skimmed through my chemistry and physics AS revision guides earlier - the content is fascinating. :smile:

Can you set it up in the appropriate section and post the link here?
Reply 815
Original post by Red Fox
Can you set it up in the appropriate section and post the link here?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2386140&p=43245210#post43245210 :smile:
Original post by Red Fox

Hmmm...I might do this but I'm going on holiday for a while so may do so when I get back... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 817
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Hmmm...I might do this but I'm going on holiday for a while so may do so when I get back... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, andersson has set up a thread above if you're gonna join us:cool:
Original post by DeadUnicorn
Okay this is the only post that has given me some inkling of hope D: That was a bloody nightmare of an exam, I nearly had a panic attack :eek:

Dont worry - I did 3 mocks before the exam and got straight As almost A*s in all 3 but I still came out of that exam hall with tears in my eyes. It's so dissapointing after putting so much work into it - makes it feel pointless and then there the education people are saying that GCSEs are too easy. I don't think they'll understand until they have to spend 3 weeks waking up at 6.30 to start revising for a subject that your not the slightest bit interested in and only stop revision for it at 9.00 at night -___- drives me insane... Hope everyone has done well in everything and have a fab summer xxx
Original post by Heidi-Bella
Dont worry - I did 3 mocks before the exam and got straight As almost A*s in all 3 but I still came out of that exam hall with tears in my eyes. It's so dissapointing after putting so much work into it - makes it feel pointless and then there the education people are saying that GCSEs are too easy. I don't think they'll understand until they have to spend 3 weeks waking up at 6.30 to start revising for a subject that your not the slightest bit interested in and only stop revision for it at 9.00 at night -___- drives me insane... Hope everyone has done well in everything and have a fab summer xxx

Urgh, this^. The government people have no right to tell us how easy GCSEs are, what a bunch of sods. Even though I'll probably look at this post in a year's time and laugh at this due to A levels being a ton harder D: Anyway, so long as everyone else found it **** hard let's just hope for low grade boundaries now :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending