The Student Room Group

So, who's self teaching?

Hi, anyone else getting a head start or completely self teaching a subject this summer?

We can share tips, resources, ask questions and give advice!

Subject - Modules

So for me...

Mathematics - FP1-3 M2(-3) S2-3
Spanish - AS

Might read through some Chem and Physics, nothing extremely heavy though :redface:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm a self-teacher of languages. So far, I've taught myself A-Level Japanese (took the exams and passed with a B) and Chinese (never took a test, but can hold a good conversation; probably because I lived in Hong Kong for 4 years!). Now, I'm teaching myself Italian, Norwegian and Korean.

In terms of other subjects:
A2 Physics (I never carried it on from AS at college)
AS Chemistry.

I'm unsure whether I'll take exams, or just stick with learning them for fun :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Im going to start learning some further maths , just finished my a2 maths exams with ocr core 4 . I wanna do maths at Cardiff with AAB ,so I'm just learning new maths . i feel like I'm behind since i want to to maths at uni and haven't done any FM , and there are people out there who do FM even though they do other courses at uni.

So yeah , wbu ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Inspired by my thread? :wink:
Holy crap, you learning all those fp modules in holidays ?! .. U must be good.

Im just starting to self teach and see how it goes, what would be a good method to teach i your opinion ? (Since your learning so much you have some idea) . would it be to follow all examples in the text book or just a few and then try the past papers and question ? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by strikerextreme
Im going to start learning some further maths , just finished my a2 maths exams with ocr core 4 . I wanna do maths at Cardiff with AAB ,so I'm just learning new maths . i feel like I'm behind since i want to to maths at uni and haven't done any FM , and there are people out there who do FM even though they do other courses at uni.

So yeah , wbu ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Holy crap, you learning all those fp modules in holidays ?! .. U must be good.

Im just starting to self teach and see how it goes, what would be a good method to teach i your opinion ? (Since your learning so much you have some idea) . would it be to follow all examples in the text book or just a few and then try the past papers and question ? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cardiff! :awesome: (my home)

Okay. So basically...

I look up on the theory, look at some examples beng done, then practise my own, then do past papers! And iron out any errors :biggrin:
Teaching myself FP3 over summer as we won't cover it next year
Also planning a bit of music theory
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ShadowWolf21
I'm a self-teacher of languages. So far, I've taught myself A-Level Japanese (took the exams and passed with a B) and Chinese (never took a test, but can hold a good conversation). Now, I'm teaching myself Italian, Norwegian and Korean.

In terms of other subjects:
A2 Physics (I never carried it on from AS at college)
AS Chemistry.

I'm unsure whether I'll take exams, or just stick with learning them for fun :smile:

Languages :biggrin:

I'm not taking formal qualifications in all ones I'm learning...

Wow! That's amazing... Keep us posted! I might not do Spanish exams, but I'm learning t
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Cardiff! :awesome: (my home)

Okay. So basically...

I look up on the theory, look at some examples beng done, then practise my own, then do past papers! And iron out any errors :biggrin:

Cool , im doing something similar to that, and ill see how it goes. Thats a good way since past papers test what you've really learnt.

Whats cardiff like ? Im from an area area which has mixed backgrounds (lots of Asians) and wanted to know if Cardiff is different , might take time for me to get use to it i guess. Anyway im looking for ward to it though either way. So far its looks like a nice city, on pictures atleast :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Self teaching myself Business unit 3 & 4 alevels plus C3. Although ive sat these exams already I don't think ive done well enough. I shall be self teaching them during my gap year :rolleyes:
Basically every subject will become my bitch over the summer :pierre:
Languages :biggrin:

I'm not taking formal qualifications in all ones I'm learning...

Wow! That's amazing... Keep us posted! I might not do Spanish exams, but I'm learning t

I'm a bit of an omni-glot wannabe. All started with living in Hong Kong from 6 weeks old (and having to learn the 2 main Chinese languages used there to some degree), so I just went from there. I've so far got: Japanese, French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian, Norwegian and Russian to some level or another.

One day I might tackle Spanish, myself :smile: I'm a bit of a Ricky Martin fan haha :biggrin: and with what Italian and French I have, I get what some of songs say haha :biggrin: (Not even ashamed of my fandom)

I don't think I'll take formal qualifications... they're a bit costly these days!
Reply 12
Cool , im doing something similar to that, and ill see how it goes. Thats a good way since past papers test what you've really learnt.

Whats cardiff like ? Im from an area area which has mixed backgrounds (lots of Asians) and wanted to know if Cardiff is different , might take time for me to get use to it i guess. Anyway im looking for ward to it though either way. So far its looks like a nice city, on pictures atleast :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile: it's a good way to get it...
Original post by iAhmedd
Self teaching myself Business unit 3 & 4 alevels plus C3. Although ive sat these exams already I don't think ive done well enough. I shall be self teaching them during my gap year :rolleyes:

Aah, business studies! C3 is nice :smile: if you need any help, holler :colone:
I'm a bit of an omni-glot wannabe. All started with living in Hong Kong from 6 weeks old (and having to learn the 2 main Chinese languages used there to some degree), so I just went from there. I've so far got: Japanese, French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian, Norwegian and Russian to some level or another.

One day I might tackle Spanish, myself :smile: I'm a bit of a Ricky Martin fan haha :biggrin: and with what Italian and French I have, I get what some of songs say haha :biggrin: (Not even ashamed of my fandom)

I don't think I'll take formal qualifications... they're a bit costly these days!

:awesome:

I have another thread you'd like! It's called "The Multilingual and Polyglot Wannabe Thread" :smile:
Reply 13
For maths:
examsolutions.net
khanacademy
m4ths247
Yeah :smile: it's a good way to get it...

Aah, business studies! C3 is nice :smile: if you need any help, holler :colone:

:awesome:

I have another thread you'd like! It's called "The Multilingual and Polyglot Wannabe Thread" :smile:

Haha, I can't cope with incredibly long threads unless I've been in them from the start, like the 'Diagnostic Radiography 2013' one. And even keeping up with that is hard!
Reply 15
Haha, I can't cope with incredibly long threads unless I've been in them from the start, like the 'Diagnostic Radiography 2013' one. And even keeping up with that is hard!

It's not that far in tbh :colondollar: need some more
What would you do for Spanish? I'm just doing the Rosetta Stone programme at the moment to keep my fluency up, but people have told me I should try learning some grammar.... Can you recommend anything other than YouTube? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by closet_nerd
What would you do for Spanish? I'm just doing the Rosetta Stone programme at the moment to keep my fluency up, but people have told me I should try learning some grammar.... Can you recommend anything other than YouTube? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never paid for online things!

I bought a good grammar book called:

A Spanish Learning Grammar

:smile:
I've never paid for online things!

I bought a good grammar book called:

A Spanish Learning Grammar

:smile:

I didn't pay for it.. My old school did and they haven't deleted the account yet (I'm going into year 12 at the end of the summer)
Ok, thanks... I'll check it out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by closet_nerd
I didn't pay for it.. My old school did and they haven't deleted the account yet (I'm going into year 12 at the end of the summer)
Ok, thanks... I'll check it out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right haha lucky you

I wouod speak Spanish but I cba translating every sentence (forum rule)

Quick Reply

Latest