The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

For the last question I don't no what I did some random stuff. But I ended up with a 1:3 ratio answer but then I wrote its a 1:3 ratio of chloride to cobalt though??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mulac1
sorry - I wrote this MS - it was with NaOH :smile:

That's a relief :lol:. Thank you for producing this mark scheme (and everybody else that has contributed).
Original post by erniiee
How did you find it?

I found ti quite hard. I know I messed up the qmcDT equation and some of the cobalt chemistry equalling about 10 marks. Although if grade boundaries are low and I did well enough in Chem4 and the EMPA, An A* is achievable (I hope). :s-smilie:

you?
Reply 3183
can someone post the asnwers for Q =2, 3, and 9 please please!
Reply 3184
Sorry- it's getting late and unfortunately the person who posted the paper (much appreciated btw) is no longer online
I dont think 1eis right I think it would be lower as there would be less ionic bonding and thus weaker covalent bonding

Posted from TSR Mobile
thought that the synoptic heat question was a bit harsh, rewarding people who had to resit chem2 with such a specific question.
EDIT: got about 50 marks on that unofficial mark scheme but might have been overly harsh, hopefully low grade boundaries and the missing questions will bump me up to a high c
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedicineMann
thought that the synoptic heat question was a bit harsh, rewarding people who had to resit chem2 with such a specific question.
EDIT: got about 50 marks on that unofficial mark scheme but might have been overly harsh, hopefully low grade boundaries and the missing questions will bump me up to a high c

Totally agree. They should have replaced it with a redox titration question. This is unit 5 not unit 2!

Fortunately I managed to struggle through it anyway.
Reply 3188
The MS obviously has some questions missing :smile: questions 2 and 3 and isn't totally accurate.. I think I invented a question :wink:
Original post by Fergy94
For 3e) ii) was the reaction LiMnO2 + Li ---> 2Li+ + MnO2 ??

Thats not balanced...

And there was a enthalpy of solution question around.
2a) Cl- ion is a smaller ion than Br-. water is polar so contains a ~+ H+ ion. therefore Cl-is more attracted to H2O than Br- so more energy is released when hydration happens
b) 13kJmol-1
c) increase in entropy and 1mole ---> 2moles. more disordered. ΔH<tΔS. therefore ΔG<0 nd feasible.
d) have no idea!

3a)i at 0K all substances are completely ordered. moles are constant with no vibrations. absolute entropy.
ii as temperature increases entropy increases, molecules vibrate more violently becoming more disordered
iii in line with L2
iv phase change causes a sudden increase in entropy. boiling has a greater increase in entropy than melting so L2 is greater than L1.
b)i ΔG=ΔH-TΔS can be rearranged to ΔG=-ΔST + ΔH. ΔS is m (gradient) ΔH is the constant c. ΔG is y and T is x. therefore follows the same equation. ΔS is negative due to negative gradient.
ii as T increases TΔS, because ΔH is constant. as T increases ΔH - TΔS decreases, ΔG decreases.
iii not feasible
c)i -44.5 Jk-1mol-1
ii 242 kJmol-1

hopefully help, correction ma be needed! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3191
Grade boundary predictions people?
Reply 3192
Original post by mulac1
Sorry- it's getting late and unfortunately the person who posted the paper (much appreciated btw) is no longer online

Sorry for the delay - I think these are Questions 6 and 7 :smile:14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg
Again if I have missed any pages just let me know :smile: I seem to have 18 photos on my phone and have put 17 up here but I can't work out which I have missed!
Original post by nimbusquaffle
2a) Cl- ion is a smaller ion than Br- so has greater electronegativity. water is polar so contains a ~+ H+ ion. therefore Cl-is more attracted to H2O than Br- so more energy is released when hydration happens
b) 13kJmol-1
c) increase in entropy and 1mole ---> 2moles. more disordered. ΔH<tΔS. therefore ΔG<0 nd feasible.
d) have no idea!

3a)i at 0K all substances are completely ordered. moles are constant with no vibrations. absolute entropy.
ii as temperature increases entropy increases, molecules vibrate more violently becoming more disordered
iii in line with L2
iv phase change causes a sudden increase in entropy. boiling has a greater increase in entropy than melting so L2 is greater than L1.
b)i ΔG=ΔH-TΔS can be rearranged to ΔG=-ΔST + ΔH. ΔS is m (gradient) ΔH is the constant c. ΔG is y and T is x. therefore follows the same equation. ΔS is negative due to negative gradient.
ii as T increases TΔS, because ΔH is constant. as T increases ΔH - TΔS decreases, ΔG decreases.
iii becomes feasible
c)i -44.5 Jk-1mol-1
ii 242 kJmol-1

hopefully help, correction ma be needed! :biggrin:

3 b iii) is that the temperatures below 500K the reaction isn't feasible, as deltaG is greater than 0 at them values
Original post by nimbusquaffle
X

2a, you don't talk about electro negativity as it's not a covalent bond.

2b I did the correct method, got -7kJmol-1, but I think I ****ed up the actually calculations

Other than that, got the same as you! :biggrin:
On the last part of the last question (why the ratio isn't what you'd expect it to be), do you think that saying the reactants contained impurities may get a mark?
can somebody update the mrkscheme
and make it correct
Original post by connolrj01
3 b iii) is that the temperatures below 500K the reaction isn't feasible, as deltaG is greater than 0 at them values

I think that below 500K ΔG is negative so reaction becomes feasible but I may be wrong :/
I neeed 97 UMS to get an A overall.. Do you think that 72 willcbe enough? The grade boundary must be one of the lowest it has ever been? Im guessing ariund 69 for an A? Any re-assurance/ replies would be amazing! 97 ums will only be one mark over the a boundary. Thank you very much guys!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anshul91
This was for the transition metal colour complexes nothing to do with the electrode potentials!

I know but u quoted the scheme. just new to this my bad...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending