The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananarama2
Seeing as I can't ask about a certain exam I'll ask how C4 went :tongue:

I think C4 is full UMS.
Original post by DJMayes
I think C4 is full UMS.

Excellent :biggrin: So do I, if I haven't remembered incorrectly.

Spoiler

Reply 2942
Original post by DJMayes
What exam are we suggesting I got 2 marks on? :ninja:

None, of course, and neither did LotF score zero, I'm sure. I.. well. Let's talk about that tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Original post by Bulbasaur
Yup. Damn, what did you do in each part? In 7b I made the mistake everyone else did by making dy/dx = 0 and so got -6,3 so max looking at 3-4/7 there (I really don't think they'd be too harsh here from past experience) and probably 1/5 on 8b as all I did correctly was find the lengths of the sides. So at best 67 really, with 90 in C3 im probably going to miss it by a small amount :/

If you did the same thing as me on 7b then im convinced we'll get at least 3 - countless times ive been told on here that I wouldn't get marks for questions that I've done slightly wrong, but for C3 I got 90 which given the mistakes I made wouldve been impossible according to what people said on TSR...

If grade boundaries are nice there's a chance I guess. Hopefully Cambridge aren't mean enough to reject if you miss a grade by literally 2 UMS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In 7b, I also thought that dy/dx = 0, and I can’t remember if I got -6 for the x coordinate, I might have done. For some reason I went on to use the quadratic formula to find the y coordinate but I used the formula incorrectly… Ended up with a surd answer. Basically I even messed up the wrong way of doing the question… :biggrin:

For 8b, I assumed that it was an isosceles triangle and AP =AB and worked from there. It made sense at the time, looking back now, I don’t know what I was doing.

I also lost marks in the binomial expansion. Ridiculous… Also lost one mark on the range question.

I was relying on maths to meet my offer (A*AA unspecified). I got 98 UMS in C3 and it felt like A* was in my reach, but apparently not. I think I got about 59 marks in this paper (assuming that I lost all 12 marks in 7b and 8b, and lost 4 marks in a couple of other places). I might even end up with a B overall…. I will be devastated if these idiotic mistakes cost me my Cambridge place.
Original post by Buongiorno
In 7b, I also thought that dy/dx = 0, and I can’t remember if I got -6 for the x coordinate, I might have done. For some reason I went on to use the quadratic formula to find the y coordinate but I used the formula incorrectly… Ended up with a surd answer. Basically I even messed up the wrong way of doing the question… :biggrin:

For 8b, I assumed that it was an isosceles triangle and AP =AB and worked from there. It made sense at the time, looking back now, I don’t know what I was doing.

I also lost marks in the binomial expansion. Ridiculous… Also lost one mark on the range question.

I was relying on maths to meet my offer (A*AA unspecified). I got 98 UMS in C3 and it felt like A* was in my reach, but apparently not. I think I got about 59 marks in this paper (assuming that I lost all 12 marks in 7b and 8b, and lost 4 marks in a couple of other places). I might even end up with a B overall…. I will be devastated if these idiotic mistakes cost me my Cambridge place.

I almost messed up a poor attempt at 7b too xD I can't remember what I did but I noticed it, crossed it out and did it again. It might've been the same thing you did because it led to a surd answer as well.

I thought 8b was an isosceles triangle? Depending on how much further you went you could've gotten more marks here than you think.

Depending on where/when you went wrong on the binomial, you might only lose about 2-3 marks.

That's the same offer I had - what are your other subjects? Seeing as you're going to be studying MML, probably two languages? Who knows, you could have A*d one/both of those.

Judging by what everyone thinks the boundaries will be, 63 is probably what you'd need for an A* overall (as a best guess this would be 82). And I actually think you might've just about got that if you got 3/6 for the binomial, 3/7 for 7b, 1/5 for 8b (it sounds like you've done at least something credible here), and 1/2 for the range. Thats 12 marks lost and so you'd have 63 exactly.

I'm probably looking into it too much but chin up - you definitely are still in with a good shot :smile:
I almost messed up a poor attempt at 7b too xD I can't remember what I did but I noticed it, crossed it out and did it again. It might've been the same thing you did because it led to a surd answer as well.

I thought 8b was an isosceles triangle? Depending on how much further you went you could've gotten more marks here than you think.

Depending on where/when you went wrong on the binomial, you might only lose about 2-3 marks.

That's the same offer I had - what are your other subjects? Seeing as you're going to be studying MML, probably two languages? Who knows, you could have A*d one/both of those.

Judging by what everyone thinks the boundaries will be, 63 is probably what you'd need for an A* overall (as a best guess this would be 82). And I actually think you might've just about got that if you got 3/6 for the binomial, 3/7 for 7b, 1/5 for 8b (it sounds like you've done at least something credible here), and 1/2 for the range. Thats 12 marks lost and so you'd have 63 exactly.

I'm probably looking into it too much but chin up - you definitely are still in with a good shot :smile:

Aww thank you so much, you actually managed to cheer me up :smile:

3 marks on 7b for what I did do seems somewhat unlikely but to be honest at this point I’d be glad to get an A overall in maths (in the hope that I achieve an A* in one of my two other subjects). Just not a B, please.

In addition to maths, I am also doing Spanish and English literature. What about you? You can never know with essay subjects due to their subjective nature, but here’s hoping.

Also just out of interest, I saw that you have an offer from Fitzwilliam, I was wondering whether you chose this college yourself or did you get an offer from there through the pool?

Thanks a lot again and I really really hope we both get in at the end of this. Please do let me know if you do! :smile:
Original post by Buongiorno
Aww thank you so much, you actually managed to cheer me up :smile:

3 marks on 7b for what I did do seems somewhat unlikely but to be honest at this point I’d be glad to get an A overall in maths (in the hope that I achieve an A* in one of my two other subjects). Just not a B, please.

In addition to maths, I am also doing Spanish and English literature. What about you? You can never know with essay subjects due to their subjective nature, but here’s hoping.

Also just out of interest, I saw that you have an offer from Fitzwilliam, I was wondering whether you chose this college yourself or did you get an offer from there through the pool?

Thanks a lot again and I really really hope we both get in at the end of this. Please do let me know if you do! :smile:

No problem :smile:

Well if you did the method right, even if your numbers were awful, you're in with a shot. Also unless you majorly messed up in your applied module (or didn't get an A at AS) the mark you need for an A overall must be quite low?

Sweet, geography and history here :smile: That's the problem - you can't ever tell. That's why I wanted an A* in maths so I COULD be sure. But oh well, just have to hope XD

Haha I like how you identify it as a college people get pooled to :P It largely is, but actually I chose fitz; and for my subject (geography) it's one of the more competitive colleges as its got the most fellows and takes the most students of any college for the subject. In fact this year I think they pooled a fair few rather than the other way around. What college did you get an offer from (were you pooled)?

I hope so too! Let me know how you get on too, good luck :smile:
No problem :smile:

Well if you did the method right, even if your numbers were awful, you're in with a shot. Also unless you majorly messed up in your applied module (or didn't get an A at AS) the mark you need for an A overall must be quite low?

Sweet, geography and history here :smile: That's the problem - you can't ever tell. That's why I wanted an A* in maths so I COULD be sure. But oh well, just have to hope XD

Haha I like how you identify it as a college people get pooled to :P It largely is, but actually I chose fitz; and for my subject (geography) it's one of the more competitive colleges as its got the most fellows and takes the most students of any college for the subject. In fact this year I think they pooled a fair few rather than the other way around. What college did you get an offer from (were you pooled)?

I hope so too! Let me know how you get on too, good luck :smile:

Well the reason why I am fretting is that I didn't bother with my applied module, S2. I'd calculated that I only needed 106 UMS in total between C4 and S2 to get an A/A*. I was confident (read: stupidly confident) that C4 would go well (82 UMS) and didn't think it was worth my time bothering with S2. I decided to aim for 24+ UMS in that module...

Oh no, please don't take it the wrong way! :P I just hadn't met anymore who applied to Fitzwilliam or had an offer from it. Ah that sounds like a good choice of a college then! I applied to Emmanuel and received an offer from them.

Good luck :smile:
Bye Bye Cambridge. Was nice knowing you all.

....was pretty much word for word what I tweeted the other day!
Original post by St. Brynjar
....was pretty much word for word what I tweeted the other day!

Ouch - so guessing maths wasn't so great for you either?
Ouch - so guessing maths wasn't so great for you either?

Actually maths went okay - for an A, not getting a star :tongue: - I'm still mourning my Geography exam haha. Fingers crossed Cambridge will be kind!
Actually maths went okay - for an A, not getting a star :tongue: - I'm still mourning my Geography exam haha. Fingers crossed Cambridge will be kind!

What college would you be? Hope you get in!
Original post by CLS94
What college would you be? Hope you get in!

Trinity Hall! Yourself?

Ah damn xD See I was really looking to maths for that but I think I missed it literally by 1-2 marks. Shame. I'm sure you've scored an A* somewhere :tongue:
Reply 2954
Hey for the unfortunate souls here doing the IB if you missed your offer how many points below do you think your college would still at least consider you?? I'm thinking 1-2 but I'm not sure.
Trinity Hall! Yourself?

King's if I meet the offer. I've heard pretty good things about "Tit Hall" however :tongue:
Tit Hall <3 the expression "shoes off" will soon take on a whole different meaning for you... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2957
Original post by camaieu
Tit Hall <3 the expression "shoes off" will soon take on a whole different meaning for you... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mrs Doyle?
Exams are over!:bl:

Good luck to all those with exams left (particularly the Mathmos)!

:smile:
Reply 2959
I'm pretty sure I've met my insurance grades, but A*??? ::afraid:

Latest

Trending

Trending