The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
What research does any1 have for recession ?
Ok guys, I've been trying to sleep since 1 but I can't sleep as a result of being hot, having a messed up sleeping pattern and worrying about the exam. Should I just get up and pull an all nighter ?
Reply 1462
Original post by arnoob
Ok guys, I've been trying to sleep since 1 but I can't sleep as a result of being hot, having a messed up sleeping pattern and worrying about the exam. Should I just get up and pull an all nighter ?

You might aswell
Original post by bundlez
You might aswell

You're right. Although, I'll try sleeping till 4, if that doesn't work I'll start revising.
Original post by arnoob
You're right. Although, I'll try sleeping till 4, if that doesn't work I'll start revising.

COME JOIN THE ALL-NIGHTER CLUB BROOO!!
This is my 6th exam this summer and I've never slept before any of them

Original post by bundlez
You might aswell

Probably the worst time to be asking this but what possible questions could come up on section B? Is it just CSR, mergers and economy?
Does everyone make a point and then explain the point without making any reference to business THEN make start the business referencing

or

Make a point while business referencing throughout the whole paragraph?
Reply 1466
is anyone doing Barclays as one of their case study?
Original post by Proflash
Does everyone make a point and then explain the point without making any reference to business THEN make start the business referencing

or

Make a point while business referencing throughout the whole paragraph?

Use PEEL structure

Make a Point
Example of the point (business)
Evaluate
Link this back to the question

Original post by Jeers
is anyone doing Barclays as one of their case study?

Yeah just starting on it now
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1468
Original post by abcdefghijlkmnop
Use PEEL structure

Make a Point
Example of the point (business)
Evaluate
Link this back to the question

Yeah just starting on it now

What do you have on barclays ?
Original post by bundlez
What do you have on barclays ?

I'm only using businesses as an example to support my points so I'm only gonna write briefly about problems from gambling culture, tax avoidance & mis-selling of PPI which they've set £2.6billion aside for.
Reply 1470
Let's discuss then! :smile:

Barclays was fined 290 million pounds because of the libor rate fixing scandal. This damaged their reputation/image and caused the company to replace their CEO with Antony Jenkins who introduced the "transform project" which had 5 core values in 2012. He sent an email to 140000 of his employees to either accept the change or leave the business which caused job cuts of 3700 futher damaging the company's reputation. It's too early to say whether this change is helping Barclays because the announcement was recent despite it having a decrease in profitability of 25% to 1.8 bn pounds.

What do you guys have?
Original post by Jeers

Barclays was fined 290 million pounds because of the libor rate fixing scandal. This damaged their reputation/image and caused the company to replace their CEO with Antony Jenkins who introduced the "transform project" which had 5 core values in 2012. He sent an email to 140000 of his employees to either accept the change or leave the business which caused job cuts of 3700 futher damaging the company's reputation. It's too early to say whether this change is helping Barclays because the announcement was recent despite it having a decrease in profitability of 25% to 1.8 bn pounds.

What do you guys have?

That's pretty much what i've also got and I mentioned how the investment banking's gambling culture began to influence the retail banks aswell. Also Anthony Jenkins aims to 'shred' the old culture and introduce a new one of respect, integrity and excellence.
Reply 1472
That's pretty much what i've also got and I mentioned how the investment banking's gambling culture began to influence the retail banks aswell. Also Anthony Jenkins aims to 'shred' the old culture and introduce a new one of respect, integrity and excellence.

Alright thanks for that.

what other case studies are you doing?
Original post by Jeers

What do you guys have?

The bonus culture:

In 2008 it accepted investment from Abu Dhabi instead of the government because it didnt want to cap bonuses.

Also despite the job cuts Barclays still going to spend 1 billion on bonuses.

Does anyone know any good things about banks and bonus culture?
Original post by Jeers
Alright thanks for that.

what other case studies are you doing?

Goldman sachs - culture of success
RBS - Negative culture leading to nationalisation & retrenchment
And might also use my sister's small business as a back up if i get stuck so that I can manipulate and adjust the culture/leadership depending on what i need to write about
Original post by Proflash
The bonus culture:

In 2008 it accepted investment from Abu Dhabi instead of the government because it didnt want to cap bonuses.

Also despite the job cuts Barclays still going to spend 1 billion on bonuses.

Does anyone know any good things about banks and bonus culture?

Investment banking will always have a culture of bonus. Sellers & Traders spend like 100 hours a week in offices so rewarding them for their individual success will generate more profit for the firm, thus tax for the government since individual bonuses act as a better reward than financially rewarding everyone equally when other will obviously be putting in more work than the rest
what to pople have for the last bullet point problems with change?
Original post by iggyDash
what to pople have for the last bullet point problems with change?

Culture clash - When one or more culture are integrated into one environment, causing disruption and challenging traditions 'like trying to mix oil with water'

Forces resisting the change

Loyalty to existing relationships: Failure to accept the need for change; insecurities, preference for existing arrangement etc

Fear of change: Loss of power, loss of income, fear of unknown, inability to perform as well in new situation, break-up of groups

All these will depend on how strong the culture is, and how well informed the employees are about the change
Culture clash - When one or more culture are integrated into one environment, causing disruption and challenging traditions 'like trying to mix oil with water'

Forces resisting the change

Loyalty to existing relationships: Failure to accept the need for change; insecurities, preference for existing arrangement etc

Fear of change: Loss of power, loss of income, fear of unknown, inability to perform as well in new situation, break-up of groups

All these will depend on how strong the culture is, and how well informed the employees are about the change

Thank you , which examples have you got for this?
Reply 1479
A bit late but anyone got examples of businesses for CSR and Takeovers and Mergers? One of these maybe likely to come up so I'd rather be prepared!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending