The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iggyDash
Thank you , which examples have you got for this?

AOL and Time Warner

AOL had a corporate culture that was speedy and collaborative while TW was slow and decentralized
Original post by Astarplease01
I would have thought you would have gotten an A with that lenghty paragraph you had earlier.

Too bad I didn't grasp that technique for BUSS4 until March otherwise I would have probably done much better.
Original post by dan94adibi
Too bad I didn't grasp that technique for BUSS4 until March otherwise I would have probably done much better.

You confident with all sections?

What examples did you use for competitive environment -
Reply 1483
Original post by mfiddy23
A bit late but anyone got examples of businesses for CSR and Takeovers and Mergers? One of these maybe likely to come up so I'd rather be prepared!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For CSR: I get BP: BP put profit before safety, which resulted in a 11 people death and the oil rig in mexico. this happened because the drilling was rushed due to the management putting pressure to cut cost. which led to a bad publicity and made a loss of £4.9 billion in 2010. New CEO - Tony Hayward - more focus on safety rather than profit - made a profit of £25 billion in 2011.

Co-op- only lend loan to renewable projects and no loan to military or weapon manufacturing. by 2013 plan to replace more products with fair trade.

Apple: Apple's suppiler FoxConn uses workers who are under 16, poor working conditions, lower wage, no pay for overtime. this didn't affect its profit.
Original post by abcdefghijlkmnop
AOL and Time Warner

AOL had a corporate culture that was speedy and collaborative while TW was slow and decentralized

Thank you

Original post by dan94adibi

Guys would it be safe going into the exam only knowing Culture, Leadership and Economic influence(even though i havn't revised for it but I do economics)
Reply 1486
Guys would it be safe going into the exam only knowing Culture, Leadership and Economic influence(even though i havn't revised for it but I do economics)

yes because businesses which you have researched for culture can be used for section b like main businesses such as ikea, nokia, google, apple stuff like that
Anyone got anything on mergers/ takeovers such as iag

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1488
Original post by linabina94
Anyone got anything on mergers/ takeovers such as iag

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kraft/Cadburys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1489
Original post by MrBobb
For CSR: I get BP: BP put profit before safety, which resulted in a 11 people death and the oil rig in mexico. this happened because the drilling was rushed due to the management putting pressure to cut cost. which led to a bad publicity and made a loss of £4.9 billion in 2010. New CEO - Tony Hayward - more focus on safety rather than profit - made a profit of £25 billion in 2011.

Co-op- only lend loan to renewable projects and no loan to military or weapon manufacturing. by 2013 plan to replace more products with fair trade.

Apple: Apple's suppiler FoxConn uses workers who are under 16, poor working conditions, lower wage, no pay for overtime. this didn't affect its profit.

Cheers, so the Primark scandal of child labour in Bangladesh would also fall under this? I'm winging it a bit by revising CSR and Takeovers and Mergers quite heavily so I'm hoping a question comes up on this. I need around a Mid C to come out with a B overall and I'm not too confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Literally can't think of any businesses for contingency planning?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please explain Royal Mail to me

I have avoided it till now :/

What I understand is that they going to become privatised so what is the appeal with the CEO Moya Green what has she done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sony when they got hacked and 77 million people details got into the hands of hackers and they took very long to respond.

they should have had contingency planning to prepare for these type of events especially they operate in an industry where hacking is likely to occur.
Reply 1493

Posted from TSR Mobile

Toyota - global car recall due to quality problems, example of where a business doesnt plan or manage their risks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't call it safe but looking at the trend these are the hot topics so I would say one of them in inevitable to come up.

I do economics too and it would be a dream to have such question but I would be in a dilemma if both leadership and economy comes up (both are my fav topics).
Reply 1495
Original post by Proflash

What I understand is that they going to become privatised so what is the appeal with the CEO Moya Green what has she done?

Their previous ceo failed to establish an effective culture, they became complacent in their position. Moya is sent in to try and help Royal Mail establish a new culture and move on technologically on or they will suffer the same fate as kodak and/or noka

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1496
Original post by Proflash

Royal Mail undertaking the biggest transformation in the UK, it need to do this so that it becomes efficient and productive as the previous culture led to a 4 years of negative cash flow, Moya Grenne changing the culture through increasing investment in training and development and also in equipment/technology. It increased the spending on safety and she has a blog where the progress of the change can be seen by the employees. all this resulted in a increase in operating profit from £152 million to £440 million - due to the cost control and also because of the increased in parcel business, which is up by 13%.
Reply 1497

As long as you know examples of businesses and what the examples imply then it doesnt matter what topics you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1498
Original post by DrFantastic
Is how to put in examples in the essay?

Introduction

For
Point 1 - 1/2 examples
Point 2 - 1/2 examples

Against
Point 1 - 1/2 examples
Point 2 - 1/2 examples

Conclusion
No new examples

Is this right??

Theres no set structure, you could do 1 for 1 against 1 for 1 against. You could do 1 for 2 against 1 for. It all depends on your essay structure and what you believe will make it a more convincing argument

Posted from TSR Mobile
You confident with all sections?

What examples did you use for competitive environment -

Yh, pretty much. Hoping that bullet point 2 comes up. Although I wouldn't mind 1 and 4.
Anyways, for competitive environment I've mainly focused on the market structures and competition policy:

With market structure:

Oligopoly - Supermarket industry. Dominated by few large supermarkets and its lead by Tesco. The market is highly concentrated (64% of the market is dominated by the top 4 supermarkets). They tend to collude to maximise their performance although it is illegal and if found they can be fined. They form a Cartel just like OPEC has.

Monopoly - Microsoft (although they are faced with competition from Apple and they're not a single producer but in UK a monopoly is defined as a firm with more than 25% market share). Microsoft windows is operating on almost all PC's

Competition policy - looks after consumer welfares and insures that there is healthy amount of competition in the market.

In 2009 they forced BAA to sell of Gatwick and Stansted to improve competition (economist believe that competition = more consumer choice = efficiency) but you could say that Heathrow is still the main airport in the UK and losing Gatwick may not actually do any good for competition.

Not sure if you have a bank account with Lloyds TSB but if you do you would have received a letter saying that competition commission is now forcing the bank to break up so that there is more competition in the market. You will have TSB Bank in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending