The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

How many marks for atomic mas unit? I just wrote average mass of nucleon in the nucleus
For Unit 5D, my boundary predictions are:
66- 120
60- 108
53- 96
46- 84

I hope it's one mark lower though but it wasn't as hard as last year's so doubt they'd push it down more than that.
Original post by bugsuper
which paper was the "de broglie hypothesis" question on?

5D = Turning Points in Physics
Original post by bugsuper
which paper was the "de broglie hypothesis" question on?

Turning points
Reply 1464
Original post by sports_crazy
That paper was filth. bloody awful. Astrophysics was the only thing I could do. CCD 6 MARKER. I could just think of 2-3 points. Horrendous heat capacity question. Awful volume questions. Tonnes of wordy question. Thank you aqa for changing the paper compared to previous years. Lets just hope the grade boundaries are low :smile:

My thoughts exactly! :yes:
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? Personally I found the exam pretty hard :frown:
what was the most dangerous waste from a nuclear reactor? Or whatever that question was, I said fission products/used fuel rods...
Original post by mrwho
We weren't taught it either. Sorry to tell you though, but the Atomic Mass Unit is u (the thing you multiply by for mass defects), which is 1.661*10^something, not the mass of a proton. I had no idea how to define it; if I'm extremely my poorly explained mathematical definition will get the marks, but I highly doubt it.

We also weren't taught what happens to the neutrons in a moderator when they are colliding elastically. Can't even remember reading about that in the book. Oh well.

It's 1/12 of a Carbon Nucleus :P I managed to pull it out of my head somehow in the exam, no idea how!
Original post by Infinity1
Applied physics (5C)

what did people write for why fuel is injected early?

i said it was so that the fuel could mix with the oxygen to get more complete combustion, but was pure guess work

i said if it is injected very late it might cause explosion because of the very high temperature. pure guess too
Reply 1469
Original post by Beth_L_G
Astrophysics peeps, what did your graph look like?

Like these

Spoiler

Thank you so much, guys! I was panicking because I thought it was on the core paper and I'd missed a page of questions D:
Original post by sports_crazy
Was there a graph?:eek:

Intensity againt angle

Think it was this image.jpg
Original post by HypErTwisT
what was the most dangerous waste from a nuclear reactor? Or whatever that question was, I said fission products/used fuel rods...

Definitely the used fuel rods. They're CRAZY radioactive.

Yup spent fuel rods
Could anyone get a copy of the paper then maybe we could all try and make a mark scheme?
How did they reduce power output? Control rods count right?
Original post by Pinkhead
How did they reduce power output? Control rods count right?

That's certainly what I said. Lower the control rods ---> more neutrons absorbed ---> fewer fission events induced ---> less power
Original post by Pinkhead
Yup spent fuel rods

It said what was the source of the radioactive waste products?
So i said Uranium 235 :P
Reply 1478

I put Uranium-235.. because it was a source? Idk :emo:
Original post by Jam Jam24
It said what was the source of the radioactive waste products?
So i said Uranium 235 :P

Same haha
I put it so its probably wrong :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest