The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by Joel R
It doesn't depend on the ruler, but the accuracy of measurement (assuming rulers are pretty standard). You'll get one mark for clear working, but I don't know how lenient they'll be on the actual value.

Phenylethene.

I got 0.53 ? I think its acceptable and they will give a range of answer as it said approx! I choose methionine
Reply 3521
Guys were the monomers a diol and dicarboxylic acid?
Reply 3522
what did people get for % yield? wasn't it 69.1%?
Original post by Joel R
No, sorry, since the salt was NH3+ Cl-; the Cl was important.

That wasn't a diazotisation reaction, that was an amine reacting with an acid to form a salt, and hydrochloric acid was needed because the structure was nh3+cl-.

Edit:

I'm sorry, I have quoted the wrong person.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Varsh05
Guys,for this question:
* The flowchart below shows some reactions of 4-aminophenol. (Flowchart showing 4-aminophenol forming its ammonium salt in reaction I, forming 4-amino-3,5-dibromophenol in reaction II, and reacting with Na in reaction III).

* Identity (typo in paper) the reagent in reaction I. (1)

* HCl

Instead of HCl,I put HNO2.
Is that still correct??

No as it wasn't a diazotisation reaction at this stage. It was just an amine acting as a base, reacting with an acid, which was HCl.
Original post by otrivine
I got 0.53 ? I think its acceptable and they will give a range of answer as it said approx! I choose methionine

Surely you've been taught to measure from the middle of the dot? That sounds too low to still be accepted I believe :-/
Reply 3526
Original post by nothepreacher
55 for full ums? I thought it would be 59 or 60. People on here are saying it should drawn in 3d? Also were there 2 chiral centres?

Two chiral centres. I flipped the top one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3527
Original post by MathsNerd1
Surely you've been taught to measure from the middle of the dot? That sounds too low to still be accepted I believe :-/

I measured from the middle to get 0.54447...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mus1995

Posted from TSR Mobile

I measured from the centre and got 2.7/4.7 so got the answer of 0.57 something which was close enough to the answer
Reply 3529

Yep I did it correct, the question said approximation.

depends on the ruler and scale
Reply 3530
I measured from the centre and got 2.7/4.7 so got the answer of 0.57 something which was close enough to the answer

thats wrong you dont measure from the middle, you measure from the line to the bottom of the dot, not the middle, difficult to explain but see the page in the book
thats wrong you dont measure from the middle, you measure from the line to the bottom of the dot, not the middle, difficult to explain but see the page in the book

I've always been told this way for them all and would make a more accurate prediction in this case, I'll still get the marks as I got it right
Reply 3532
Original post by Mus1995

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same, but the book measures it from the bottom not middle?
Reply 3533
I've always been told this way for them all and would make a more accurate prediction in this case, I'll still get the marks as I got it right

yes, if you would have measured it from the bottom like the book you should get a value around 0.53 to 0.55
Reply 3534
Original post by Lehal
what did people get for % yield? wasn't it 69.1%?

No. Did you just divide the mass of G obtained by the mass of E given? I believe that gives around 69%.

The correct method was to divide the mass of E by its Mr (160) to get the number of moles. You then multiply this by the Mr of G (174) to get the maximum possible mass of G obtainable (which is greater than the mass of E used, since other reactants are 'put in' to get G), and divide the mass of G given in the question (3.something) by this mass, and times by 100 to get percentage yield.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3535
yes, if you would have measured it from the bottom like the book you should get a value around 0.53 to 0.55

I did 0.27/0.47. 0.57444 which is around 0.58.

0.53-0.55 is way off. I don't think it would be correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what I got! (the 2.7/4.7) :smile:
Reply 3537
Original post by Mus1995
I did 0.27/0.47. 0.57444 which is around 0.58.

0.53-0.55 is way off. I don't think it would be correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check page 79, they dont do it from the centre, they did it from the dotted line to the bottom of the dot , i did exactly like that, not to centre
Original post by Zaphod77
That's exactly what I got! (the 2.7/4.7) :smile:

Very nice! :biggrin:
Original post by Mus1995
Two chiral centres. I flipped the top one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for answering. So the bottom one was kept at the centre right? Also, in my diag there was only only one wedge from my chiral centre, the rest were skeletal lines

Latest

Trending

Trending