The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

was the melting temperature of titanium oxide and chloride to do with inter or intramolecular forces?
Original post by Knoyle quiah
you for real?? I already know i will have a higher overall UMS than you, because from the fact that you had to retake this unit, I need 68/120 UMS for an overall A in chem(based on june 12 grade bound), but im going for the A*, how about you????
Dude shut up, just because on paper you may be better at chemsitry than someone, doesnt give you the right to be a complete douche about it. Also before you say its cos im jealous, I only need 39 UMS for an A, so shut it.
Why dont we get back to chemistry, what was the fuel cell answers, what were,the quations used
Original post by LeaX
was the melting temperature of titanium oxide and chloride to do with inter or intramolecular forces?

I panicked and wrote about both lol, I think I lost all 4 marks in that Q :s-smilie:
Original post by LeaX

Melting point is always intermolecular forces
Reply 2105
Original post by LeaX

Inter molecular. The question said talk about structure and bonding so I guess we have to talk about covalent and ionic bonds. That question was weird!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2106
for those who wrote reflect UV radiation, this is wrong the molecules in suncream absorb UV radiation then scatter it.

For the filtration question for the soluble ppt was it "filter crystals to seperate" and for insoluble ppt "filter hot mixture?"
and for the minimum solvent "takes to long to recrystallise"

for the partially porous electrode was it to allow h ions to pass through
Original post by Connor3
In January 2012 they asked specifically for the diazonium cation, but accepted the Cl- anyway, since it is in the presence of HCl.

I dont see why you're so adamant that they wont accept it.....

Where did I say that they won't accept it?

Original post by Knoyle quiah
you for real?? I already know i will have a higher overall UMS than you, because from the fact that you had to retake this unit, I need 68/120 UMS for an overall A in chem(based on june 12 grade bound), but im going for the A*, how about you????

That's irrelevant. I'm talking about this paper, not the other papers I did nor the practicals I did at school. I need an A to meet my offer.
Reply 2108
Original post by James A
Hi everyone, the exam went really well.
Firstly, for the multiple choice question which asked you to select which reaction produced a polyamide, did you put answer b or answer d? It was either one of them.

The second multiple choice which said about a hydrocarbon was burnt and they gave you values. Did you put down C3H8? I think that was answer b. I took a guess on it.

Okay and um the electrode potentials at the start of section B, because one of the questions told you to select two half cells and combine them, which ones out of the four did you choose? Bearing in mind the question said it has to be in alkaline. I used the two half cells which had OH- somewhere in them, so I used 2 and 4 and combined them.

For section C on the titration, did anyone get 1.8moldm-3 for the Titanium (IV) Chloride concentration?

Also for the next question which was the last one, I said some of the Titanium Chloride is readily oxidized by oxygen in the air, hence less TiCl4 is available in the titration.

Yup it was c3h8 I worked it out took me a while but I'm defo sure it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orange94
Yup it was c3h8 I worked it out took me a while but I'm defo sure it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

You actually worked it out? haha, I wanted to preserve as much time for the remainder of the paper, so just took a guess. There were only two possible options IMO, because there was another option which had three carbons, but that one had few hydrogen, so I thought it couldn't be that one.
Reply 2110
Original post by James A
You actually worked it out? haha, I wanted to preserve as much time for the remainder of the paper, so just took a guess. There were only two possible options IMO, because there was another option which had three carbons, but that one had few hydrogen, so I thought it couldn't be that one.

I also worked it out and it was C3H8. :smile:
Original post by randyaloul
I panicked and wrote about both lol, I think I lost all 4 marks in that Q :s-smilie:

Original post by Gnome :)
Melting point is always intermolecular forces

Original post by AS01
Inter molecular. The question said talk about structure and bonding so I guess we have to talk about covalent and ionic bonds. That question was weird!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. :smile: I put intermolecular forces and talked about covalent and ionic bonds then just put on the end about van der waal forces just in case. Hopefully they won't deduct marks for that and will just ignore lol.
Original post by Bord3r
I also worked it out and it was C3H8. :smile:

Good stuff, sometimes it pays off to take guesses when needed :lol:
Reply 2113
Original post by James A

Lol! You are good at guessing then! It worked out to be C3H8 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2114
Original post by LeaX
Thank you. :smile: I put intermolecular forces and talked about covalent and ionic bonds then just put on the end about van der waal forces just in case. Hopefully they won't deduct marks for that and will just ignore lol.

Haha they wont. I talked about covalent and ionic. Which one did u put as ionic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did X Y Z need to be specific? Wow, after five minutes of trying and even redrawing out the molecule twice, I didn't pay attention to the splitting. That's not fair :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me with the following questions and clear up any doubt please? ive given an answer and my reasoning behind it, i could be wrong though..

IMG01261-20130620-1043.jpg

For this question i got the answer as C, as number of moles does not affect the e cell value (read this in many books) also the e cell is the most positive (right) minus the most negative (left)

IMG01264-20130620-1044.jpg

I got the answer to be C, As it is 2 negative species attacking eachother which is unlikely and the other 3 show the H- acting as things it says its good at.

IMG01262-20130620-1043.jpg

For this one i got the answer to be C again, i chose zinc but realized since it did not have a incomplete D shell could not catalyze reactions

IMG01265-20130620-1044.jpg

Answer = A
Because the oxygen group needs to come off by accepting the lone pair, while the nucleophile attacks the slightly positive carbon.

IMG01263-20130620-1043.jpg

I chose D because the h20 has deprotonated the cation and for the charges to balance, the metal has to decrease by 1.

IMG01267-20130620-1057.jpg

4 H2 molecules and the enthalpy change is just the benzene hydrogenation and the other 1 added together.

The type of reaction is an addition right?

IMG01266-20130620-1056.jpg

Answer is B, Because the first one isnt optically active, and the 3rd and 4th both have an extra cooh and nh2 group, increasing the acidity/basity and making the ph less equal, so B would give a neutral soultion.

Thanks in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2117
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
Did X Y Z need to be specific? Wow, after five minutes of trying and even redrawing out the molecule twice, I didn't pay attention to the splitting. That's not fair :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope! U can put anything as X Y and Z

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AS01
Haha they wont. I talked about covalent and ionic. Which one did u put as ionic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

titanium chloride as ionic and titanium oxide as covalent. what did you put?
Reply 2119
titanium oxide ionic, titanium chloride covalent

Latest

Trending

Trending