The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LuxVeritatis
I am desperately hoping that they don't choose the Thrasea Paetus speech for the Latin.

My god, same, there is nothing to write about - but sod's law says they will choose it because it's at the beginning, and there are only two sections which are in the 20s, then it jumps straight to the 30s, so they'll have to justify leaving such a big gap. Ugh.
Reply 161
Original post by emma2013
I need an A in latin to get to my uni too :frown: what did you apply for?

English Lit at Exeter.. I really really want to go there!
Reply 162
Original post by binxgillam
My god, same, there is nothing to write about - but sod's law says they will choose it because it's at the beginning, and there are only two sections which are in the 20s, then it jumps straight to the 30s, so they'll have to justify leaving such a big gap. Ugh.

Thoughout the year I am still to realse why the chapter 20-23 are even in the syllabus - it seems a bit pointless to me, I think they could have expanded beyond the part where we start to hear about Christians.
Reply 163
Is anyone else doing prose composition instead of translating Livy for the prose paper? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
Original post by nikkinak
Is anyone else doing prose composition instead of translating Livy for the prose paper? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! :smile: how are you feeling about it?
Reply 165
Also, did anyone else do Propertius for the verse exam instead of Virgil?
Reply 166
Right now its 4 days of cramming for this prose exam! Ive heard its the hardest A Level exam around and I can see where this rumour is coming from. Prose is really difficult to analyse and the Livy is ridiculous, as we all know. So yer, lets prepare for our final, and hardest, school exam!
Original post by emma2013
Hello! I'm doing Aeneid 4 for the verse and Bellum catilinae for the prose! How are you revising for the virgil?
I'm currently sitting one UMS mark above an A for AS (nice bit of luck there) and am also resitting the language paper to hopefully get a few extra marks as I'm finding A2 so difficult :mad:
Are you doing Livy or prose composition?

I'm finding it so hard to revise right now :frown: I'm most scared about the language, does anyone know some good sites that can help?
Reply 168
Original post by tatters
I am! :smile: how are you feeling about it?

Yay! It seemed like everybody was doing Livy :P mmm not sure, it's so fun doing it but I'm worried I'll forget the weird rules around constructions :/ how about you?
Reply 169
Original post by joereed
Right now its 4 days of cramming for this prose exam! Ive heard its the hardest A Level exam around and I can see where this rumour is coming from. Prose is really difficult to analyse and the Livy is ridiculous, as we all know. So yer, lets prepare for our final, and hardest, school exam!

But the great thing about prose analysis is that they don't expect loads of stuff about themes, so much of it is content based! Are you doing Sallust for lit?
I am also doing prose comp.
Reply 171
But the great thing about prose analysis is that they don't expect loads of stuff about themes, so much of it is content based! Are you doing Sallust for lit?

Very true, I just feel as if I need to get loads of literary points. I'm afraid I'm doing the Annals, what Sallust like? Are there many resources to study from?
Has anyone got a good vocab list for Livy?
Reply 173
Yay! It seemed like everybody was doing Livy :P mmm not sure, it's so fun doing it but I'm worried I'll forget the weird rules around constructions :/ how about you?

I completely agree! I love doing it but I ALWAYS forget something that loses me quite a few marks, even thought I do know it haha! Particularly case endings for 3rd/4th declension nouns.. they're a killer :frown:
Reply 174
Original post by tjf8
Has anyone got a good vocab list for Livy?

I would also like this! Using the John Taylor at the moment and I don't think this is enough.
Original post by joereed
I would also like this! Using the John Taylor at the moment and I don't think this is enough.

I haven't got anything. :pierre: Except for one for Ovid, which is what I've been using.
Reply 176
Original post by joereed
Very true, I just feel as if I need to get loads of literary points. I'm afraid I'm doing the Annals, what Sallust like? Are there many resources to study from?

Ah Sallust is pretty boring compared to the verse, but he's actually not bad to analyse. Nothing compared to Cicero last year though, why did I not appreciate him then :O

Nope all I've got is just class annotations we did :/ how about you?

Original post by tatters
I completely agree! I love doing it but I ALWAYS forget something that loses me quite a few marks, even thought I do know it haha! Particularly case endings for 3rd/4th declension nouns.. they're a killer :frown:

Oh my days yes?! And then declining 3rd declension adjectives, my teacher spent a whole lesson going over which ones take an -e in the ablative etc :frown: quite like making it stylistic though :P
Reply 177
Oh my days yes?! And then declining 3rd declension adjectives, my teacher spent a whole lesson going over which ones take an -e in the ablative etc :frown: quite like making it stylistic though :P

Aaah that's what I'm going to lose all of my marks on :frown: so happy I'm not doing Livy though haha looks so difficult! Yes sneak in a cheeky ablative absolute and you're set :wink:
Reply 178
Original post by tatters
Aaah that's what I'm going to lose all of my marks on :frown: so happy I'm not doing Livy though haha looks so difficult! Yes sneak in a cheeky ablative absolute and you're set :wink:

It does! Had a look on the specimen paper at it and just had no idea what half the words meant... It's great, plus my teachers were saying it's marked more generously? Have you been told that too?
Reply 179
It does! Had a look on the specimen paper at it and just had no idea what half the words meant... It's great, plus my teachers were saying it's marked more generously? Have you been told that too?

Yeah! They see prose composition as the more challenging option for us so they're kinder :smile: woo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending