The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by Slumpy
Isner and Karlovic are pretty monstrous servers. I think at a fast wimby they'd have taken some stopping.

But with their poor movement, they will definitely struggle in baseline exchanges and in return games.
Original post by Roger1
But with their poor movement, they will definitely struggle in baseline exchanges and in return games.

Isner would do better then Ivo, but think how much longer his match with mahut would have been with faster courts :eek:
Reply 3522
Original post by hskjlclcn
Isner would do better then Ivo, but think how much longer his match with mahut would have been with faster courts :eek:

Speaking of Ivo, whats going on with him at the moment? He had a stroke a month or two ago didn't he?
Reply 3523
Original post by Roger1

As I recall, the average rally length in wimby pre 2001 or so was sub 3 shots, or thereabouts (can't find any actual stats atm though). Baseline exchanges were often avoided! Admittedly their return games are poor, but as I say, I'm sure Sampras's game relied on similar principles. Obviously he was significantly more complete than them though.
Reply 3524
Original post by Slumpy
As I recall, the average rally length in wimby pre 2001 or so was sub 3 shots, or thereabouts (can't find any actual stats atm though). Baseline exchanges were often avoided! Admittedly their return games are poor, but as I say, I'm sure Sampras's game relied on similar principles. Obviously he was significantly more complete than them though.

Sampras was actually quite good at the baseline that he is given credit for.
Reply 3525
Original post by Roger1
Sampras was actually quite good at the baseline that he is given credit for.

Yeah, no disrespect to the guy. You don't win 14 slams on a serve alone!
Reply 3526
Seems strange to think of entire matches with sub 3 shot rallies these days.
Original post by Roger1
Tsonga loves to S&V, so would be perfectly suited to the faster grass courts. Roddick was pretty much done by 2005 due to injuries, so not sure how he would fare after that time period on faster grass courts, but one thing is for sure, he definitely would have won at least one of those 4 matches at Wimbledon against Fed, had the courts been faster. Not too sure about Delpo, as he struggles with his movement on grass. Isner, karlovic and Cilic- Absolutely no chance! :tongue:

Yeah but i actually think he looks better in long rallies because he's physical and just his shot selection, if he'd trained certain elements of his game he could have been not dissimilar to Nadal. I say Del Potro because he has a monster serve and loves to play at the net, as we can see he's also good at the baseline.
Sampras doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think people see him as a big server who over powered all his opponents and he could only get it done on fast surfaces. Well, three QFs and one SF at Roland Garros not to mention a clay court Masters title is impressive for someone who lives on his serve :rolleyes:

Original post by Roger1
Tsonga loves to S&V, so would be perfectly suited to the faster grass courts. Roddick was pretty much done by 2005 due to injuries, so not sure how he would fare after that time period on faster grass courts, but one thing is for sure, he definitely would have won at least one of those 4 matches at Wimbledon against Fed, had the courts been faster. Not too sure about Delpo, as he struggles with his movement on grass. Isner, karlovic and Cilic- Absolutely no chance! :tongue:

How can a guy who stood toe-to-toe with Federer and traded blows in the Wimbledon 2009 final ever be seen as done by 2005? That was Roddick's best ever match, in my opinion.
Reply 3529
Original post by TheMagicRat
Sampras doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think people see him as a big server who over powered all his opponents and he could only get it done on fast surfaces. Well, three QFs and one SF at Roland Garros not to mention a clay court Masters title is impressive for someone who lives on his serve :rolleyes:

How can a guy who stood toe-to-toe with Federer and traded blows in the Wimbledon 2009 final ever be seen as done by 2005? That was Roddick's best ever match, in my opinion.

He just wasn't consistent enough after 2005 and thus went down the rankings. Obviously, he still was a top player but nowhere near his peak. That match against Fed in 2009 was indeed the best match he played against him, but the Roddick of 2003, 2004 or even perhaps 2005 at Wimby would've beat Fed of 2009 on grass. Just my opinion! :smile:
Reply 3530
Original post by Ashnard
'tis true. Definitely the case where I don't find much objectionable about his character (from interviews and the like), but his fanatics (yourself excluded) make me view him negatively at times. Don't like Uncle Toni, though.

Uncle Toni is the best Tennis coach out there.
Neither do you appreciate the Goat on Clay or the greatest clay coach ever.
Original post by Roger1
He just wasn't consistent enough after 2005 and thus went down the rankings. Obviously, he still was a top player but nowhere near his peak. That match against Fed in 2009 was indeed the best match he played against him, but the Roddick of 2003, 2004 or even perhaps 2005 at Wimby would've beat Fed of 2009 on grass. Just my opinion! :smile:

I think 2009 was his peak as a player, though obviously not as an achiever. He was a much more complete player. His problem was that there were a lot of guys better than him. Simple as that.

Looking back, with hindsight of course, he spent too long working with Connors. His game didn't really go anywhere with Connors as his coach which meant by the time the game had evolved to what it is today he had been left behind but Stefanki brought out the best in him and really developed his game, especially his point construction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
Uncle Toni is the best Tennis coach out there.
Neither do you appreciate the Goat on Clay or the greatest clay coach ever.

Does it really require much ability to coach a phenomenon like Nadal? I'd argue that the guy would be successful regardless of who was coaching him, although the claim can obviously not be proved. Toni himself has said that he would probably be sacked by now were it not for his biological relation to Nadal.
Reply 3533
Original post by Ashnard
Does it really require much ability to coach a phenomenon like Nadal? I'd argue that the guy would be successful regardless of who was coaching him, although the claim can obviously not be proved. Toni himself has said that he would probably be sacked by now were it not for his biological relation to Nadal.

People seem to forget that Toni was the one who encouraged Rafa to play with his left hand, even though Rafa is naturally right handed. Rafa would still obviously be a GS winner, but wouldn't be as successful as he is today, if Toni didn't make him implement that change into his game. So Toni deserves a lot of credit for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3534
Wimbledon Draw 2morrow!!! :tongue:

Can anyone please tell me the time the draw is taking place and are there any live streams for it in the UK?
Original post by Roger1
People seem to forget that Toni was the one who encouraged Rafa to play with his left hand, even though Rafa is naturally right handed. Rafa would still obviously be a GS winner, but wouldn't be as successful as he is today, if Toni didn't make him implement that change into his game. So Toni deserves a lot of credit for that.

It was a clever move, I'll admit that. I'm not sure if it merits his declaration as the "Greatest clay coach ever", though
Original post by Roger1
Federer would have won 10 in a row. It's not rocket science really. Slowing down the surfaces have really help pushers like Nadal and Djokovic, as it allows them to retrieve impossible balls like on clay. If the grass was still as fast as the one before 2002, then Fed would have S&V his way to the trophy every year. :tongue:

This is just a poor argument, because Federer never did particularly well at Wimbledon prior to the court changing - see how much he struggled against Henman, for example. If Wimbledon's speed returned to what it had been in 2001 and prior, Federer would probably have won far less Wimbledons, not more. It's difficult to say, but I think Roddick especially would have a large amount of Wimbledon titles. I agree that Nadal and Djokovic have been greatly helped by Wimbledon being slower, though. If 2013 Wimbledon was played on 2001 Wimbledon grass, I'd say the main title contenders would probably be Tsonga, Berdych and Murray.
Reply 3537
Original post by TopHat
This is just a poor argument, because Federer never did particularly well at Wimbledon prior to the court changing - see how much he struggled against Henman, for example. If Wimbledon's speed returned to what it had been in 2001 and prior, Federer would probably have won far less Wimbledons, not more. It's difficult to say, but I think Roddick especially would have a large amount of Wimbledon titles. I agree that Nadal and Djokovic have been greatly helped by Wimbledon being slower, though. If 2013 Wimbledon was played on 2001 Wimbledon grass, I'd say the main title contenders would probably be Tsonga, Berdych and Murray.

Federer struggled against Henman, because he just wasn't that good in 2001. When he hit his peak around 2004, he was pretty much beating everyone including Henman.
Anybody think Tomic has a chance against Simon today?
Reply 3539
Original post by Rakas21
Anybody think Tomic has a chance against Simon today?

Tomic loves to slice and on a surface like grass, where bounce is relatively low, it can only help him. And Simon is a pusher, so his game isn't really suited to the faster grass courts, so Tomic has a good chance.

Latest