The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

I'm absolutely fuming at myself for not converting anything to Kelvin. I blame the all-nighter I pulled. What a waste, but hopefully I'll get the ECF.
Reply 1781
Original post by nanotech1
I'm absolutely fuming at myself for not converting anything to Kelvin. I blame the all-nighter I pulled. What a waste, but hopefully I'll get the ECF.

TBH doing an all nighter really is useless. If I didnt know anything I would still go to bed and read all notes on the journey in, that would give you a better chance than being sleep deprived and nothing going in
Original post by kitkat19
I just wanna know astro question topics..cant remember what the questions were

Ray diagram for diminished image
Focal length calculation
Eyepiece or objective lens?

6 marker on CCD

Was a swatzchild radius one

Visible differences between 2 stars

Which star was further away

Hubblies constant
Age of universe

Missed a few out and can't remember values, but I hope that's somewhat useful
Original post by kvohra
TBH doing an all nighter really is useless. If I didnt know anything I would still go to bed and read all notes on the journey in, that would give you a better chance than being sleep deprived and nothing going in

It wasn't so much learning content as it was just getting some exam practice, besides I'd only woken up in the evening :L
Reply 1784
The only thing I'm annoyed about this paper (and Turning Points) is that they were pretty easy, so there will be high grade boundaries.
I got 116 in Unit 4, and probably 48 in the practical. What's the A* condition?
If anyone wants to try and work out some answers and questions Ive started a new thread for section A here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2386623&p=43254242#post43254242

Clearly it's a bit bare right now but hopefully we will get somewhere.
Did anybody else think question 2 (Specific heat capacity question) was evil?
Original post by Hippokrates

There was a lot of work for only 2 marks on the first bit which was annoying...
Original post by HypErTwisT
There was a lot of work for only 2 marks on the first bit which was annoying...

I don't find it annoying because I couldn't do it :P Glad it was only 2 marks
I wrote everything on the first 3 lines but did not mention constant temp. Would I get 1 mark???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Genuinely I don't think I got a single one of those SHC questions correct :frown: Flopped that test so hard...

The astrophysics I found ok actually so maybe that'll push up my marks, how much do you think I'll need for a D? (it's what I need to get a B for my offer)
Original post by Anythingoo1
Genuinely I don't think I got a single one of those SHC questions correct :frown: Flopped that test so hard...

The astrophysics I found ok actually so maybe that'll push up my marks, how much do you think I'll need for a D? (it's what I need to get a B for my offer)

No idea I think the grade boundaries are higher on this paper than normal. I'm just gutted. I've had full marks in the last two exams and I worked really hard for this one and I felt so lost with it.
No idea I think the grade boundaries are higher on this paper than normal. I'm just gutted. I've had full marks in the last two exams and I worked really hard for this one and I felt so lost with it.

higher really? A few people who I spoke to from my school found it hard, but hey...

I'm sorry about that but hey you got full marks on your last 2 exams! that's amazing!
Original post by Anythingoo1
higher really? A few people who I spoke to from my school found it hard, but hey...

I'm sorry about that but hey you got full marks on your last 2 exams! that's amazing!

Not on this exam compared to the same paper in the past, I think it was really hard too. I mean the othe modules have low boundaries but this module usually has average/ high ones.
Reply 1794
Original post by ABaz
The only thing I'm annoyed about this paper (and Turning Points) is that they were pretty easy, so there will be high grade boundaries.
I got 116 in Unit 4, and probably 48 in the practical. What's the A* condition?

Looks like me and you are in the same boat! And you just need to get 270 overall for A2 and 480 overall for the course. So you'd need around 106 for an A* (assuming that your scores from AS are high enough for 480 overall).
Can I ask what mark you got in the practical?
Reply 1795
Original post by cooldudeman
Did everyone turn the temp to kelvins? I did. That's what you're meant to do right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure it doesn't change the final answer if you change to Kelvins rather than staying with Celsius, because the change in temperature is still the same using either measurement of temperature. At least I'm hoping this is the case for the sake of my working out :s-smilie:
Reply 1796
How do they mark these exams? Do they convert to UMS on each paper and add them up? Or raw marks added for each part together? The first is probably more likely?
Original post by iLayton
High energy is needed so the nuclei can over come electrostatic repulsion... High temp relates to large KE... Something along those lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thought it was to overcome the binding energy becoz energy is released when binding energy of products >binding energy of reactants. (probably wrong but my source has never let me dwn before )
(edited 10 years ago)
That paper was easy enough. Although a few people struggled i think i got 100 UMS,
Both part A and Applied were just textbook answers, if you had the simplest knowledge of physics you could of bluffed 80% of the explanation marks.
Original post by OmegaKaos
That paper was easy enough. Although a few people struggled i think i got 100 UMS,
Both part A and Applied were just textbook answers, if you had the simplest knowledge of physics you could of bluffed 80% of the explanation marks.

go away :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending