The Student Room Group

Spanish Language Films

I've just really got into Spanish cinema and am thirsty to discover new Spanish language films. Has anyone seen any good ones?

Some of my favourites so far are:

Los Cronoscrimenes
Las Nuevas Reinas
Volver
La Piel Que Habito
Original post by tomj45
I've just really got into Spanish cinema and am thirsty to discover new Spanish language films. Has anyone seen any good ones?

Some of my favourites so far are:

Los Cronoscrimenes
Las Nuevas Reinas
Volver
La Piel Que Habito

Mar Adentro is an amazing and touching film.
I have a few suggestions:

Como Agua Para Chocolate - set in Mexico in the early 20th century.
Te Doy Mis Ojos - quite a disturbing film about domestic violence in modern Spain
La Lengua De La Mariposa - set after the civil war
Machuca - story of the friendship between an upper class boy and a very poor boy in Chile. Really sad.
Lucia Y El Sexo - it sounds like it's just about sex but it's actually a very deep film
Pan's Laberinth - such a weird film but brilliant.

I might think of some more. But all of these are worth watching.
Reply 3
Easy question...

I have hundreds...

Some good movies:

el bola

A film about a 12 year old boy raised in a violent environment avoids becoming close to classmates. The arrival of a new boy at school changes his attitude. Awesome Juan Jose Ballesta.

El otro lado de la cama

Two couples entwine on their search for love. A very funny comedy.

La caja 507

A fantastic action thriller...

Tesis

First Amenabar's film, another great thriller. A estudent while doing a thesis about violence, finds a snuff video where a girl is tortured until death. Soon she discovers that the girl was a former student in her faculty...

El dia de la bestia

A basque priest finds by means of a cabalistic study of the bible that the anti-christ is going to be born on Christmas day in Madrid. Helped by a heavy-metal fan and by the showman of a TV esoteric program, he will try to invoke the devil to find out the place of birth and kill the baby.

Irreverent, vulgar, silly and dark humor. A classic

If you want a more especific list, any genre, ask me...
Reply 4
"El orfanato" - a wonderful dark, thrilling and touching movie! :smile: I LOVED this movie.
Reply 5
My parents watched el orfanato and said it was quite good.
Machuca's not a bad choice but I recommend doing a quick google search on chile in the 70's and 80's so you can have a broader understanding of the film, particularly of the context.
Lucía y el sexo was quite good too, unfortunately I fell asleep (which I know contradicts what I just said about it being good but I did watch it late at night if it makes a difference! haha) so I missed the ending.

Que pena tu vida (I pity your life/your life sucks, something along those lines) is a contemporary one, different to all the aforementioned films, it's a bit of a rom com I suppose, but it's kinda funny. It's actually a triology, que pena tu boda (wedding) and then que pena tu familia (family lol) They are full of slang which makes the humour hard to understand :/

In the time of the butterflies is one of my favourite films, but it's in English, it is however based on a book in Spanish
Reply 6
One that I rarely see mentioned: Celda 211. Totally awesome film about a prison riot (not for the faint-hearted though, some fairly gristly scenes :colone:).
Reply 7
Original post by superwolf
One that I rarely see mentioned: Celda 211. Totally awesome film about a prison riot (not for the faint-hearted though, some fairly gristly scenes :colone:).

I've seen that one, it is good
Reply 8
Celda 211

A kind of "Prison Break"

Mar adentro

Javier Bardem. Quite sad...

Y tu mamá también

Mexican-Spanish movie: Diego Luna, Gael Garcia Bernal and Maribel Verdú.

Yeah!!!
Are there any recommended Spanish books for A-level, post gcse level ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Por qué se ha ido el búfalo. (Why is the buffalo gone. 2013) Best spanish horror movie, ever. :smile:
These are the ones I have watched:
Carmen I haven't finished this but it seems to be a nice film, quite slow though. It's about flamenco so check it out if you are interested in Spanish theatre.
El Otro Lado De La Cama This is a rom-com. I'm not a fan but I think rom-coms are great for learning the language. The movie is classed as a musical but to be honest, the music sucks :s-smilie: Anyway, it's a fun movie. It's basically about two couple cheating with each others.
Km.0 Yes, another rom-com. Well, a cheesier one :biggrin: But still, also a fun movie. The moviemakers tried to be deep, obviously they didn't succeed, but it turns out to be quite comical in a good way.
Lucia y El Sexo The sex scenes are good :wink:. But the story itself is great and confusing. The plot feels almost unreal, you can come up with a lot of different explanations for it. Anyway, why bother explaining, I'm sure some of you are already hooked from the first line.
Pan's Labyrinth It won the Oscar, so watch it :biggrin: But be cautious if you don't like violence, it's a very very brutal film. Other than that, enjoy a very imaginative and meaningful film.
Salvador Puig Antich This film is about the last person executed by the garrote under the Franco dictatorship. I don't think their manifesto and the ideas are effective but it really did happen, the film just retell it.What I like is the spirit of the film and the fact that the camera work is excellent.
The Motorcycle Diaries It's about the Marxist guerilla leader Che, about his life before the revolutions, how he came up with his ideas seeing the poor while travelling.
Y Tu Mama Tambien A Mexican film about two teenager having sex with an older woman... Well it's more than that, give it a shot. I was not very impressed the first time I saw it but now I like it. It seems like a stupid film but they slipped in some evitable true facts about life.
Ocho Apellidos Vascos ('Eight Basque Surnames', aka 'Spanish Affair')
Rom-com where a girl from the Basque country visits Andalusia and meets a comedian, she leaves her bag at his place and he takes off across the country to give it back to her. Really good!!

Relatos Salvajes ('Wild Tales')
Almodóvar film, six short stories in one film, lots of murder and a small amount of sex - so definitely more of an edgy one, also really good!!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending