The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ABaz
Calm down.

I agree to be honest. I think most of A Level Physics is textbook answers. Having said that, the way the questions are phrased sometimes makes the exam tricky.

Just a few oddballs in there, the physics itself wasn't terribly difficult but as you say the way they were phrased made it a little more tricky and the fact that there was a couple of questions that I can't remember being on past exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack93o
did I read section A's 6 marker correctly?

didn't it give you a choice of whether to describe an experiment based on varying distance between the counter and the source, or the experiment of putting different stuff in between the source and the counter? (you only had to describe one of these methods, right?)

I chose the first one, I described varying the counter distance. But the thing thay threw me off was that it suggested that the source was producing more than one type of radiation, and that you had to find it which ones it was?

I just wrote about plotting a graph of count rate and distance from source, and looking at the shape of the graph to tell which radiation were produced. This is how its done, right?

I presumed you had to choose one because it said or.... so i talked about the absorber experiment and the shortcomings, but the general experiment too and the principles behind it as well as describing it and talking about the safety precautions...

In terms of the paper itself, i found the written questions much easier. I normally depend on the maths but i made so many errors. The Astro 6 marker was beaut; there were so many points you could make about CCDs structure function advantages etc. I did say i'd use the lens as an objective (stupidly) lol. Apart from that, loved astro (except my wrong H value on the last question) especially the sneaky diffraction pattern graph for the Rayleigh Criterion :smile:

I needed 98/120 ish for an A* but given the sheer number of calculation errors i made (and missing out the last part of the pressure question) and the high grade boundaries for astro, i dont think itll happen :/ how did astro people find the paper?
Reply 1822
Original post by Technetium
Yeah, I was debating this with myself at the time but in the book that's what it says for identifying each source of radiation :smile:

Oh well, I picked up marks for safety then :P
Original post by Technetium
I chose the first experiment, and I basically said measure the count-rate with the source present at different measured distance, d from the source and the count-rate without the source present, record in a results table. If its Alpha then count-rate falls sharply with increased distance, if its Beta then count-rate falls gradually, and for gamma I talked about how you would verify the inverse square law relationship and if you plot a graph of corrected count-rate against d you get a straight line with negative intercept (= do the distance inside the sealed container).

did you not notice that the question asks for the experiment to find what radiation was emitted?

it even mentioned that it was suspected that the source was emitting both alpha and gamma radiation (unless I remembered wrong?)

this was what gave me a real headache, because the source was not definitely only emitting one type of radiation, so its not a simple case of just measuring the count rate, plotting it up and then seeing a pattern showing either one of the three types of radiation

the count rate you got, could've been the combined effect of more than one type of radiation
Reply 1824
Original post by ABaz
I'm actually not entirely sure. I got 35 on the written paper. I believe the teacher gave me full marks for the practical procedure, but I can't remember what that's out of. I just remember looking it up before and it worked out to about 48 UMS on average.

Do you need the A* for Uni?

I think 9 maybe? Not too sure either...
Well I have an offer of A*AAa but the A* can be in either Maths or Physics so not necessarily, yourself?
Original post by anuradha_d
I presumed you had to choose one because it said or.... so i talked about the absorber experiment and the shortcomings, but the general experiment too and the principles behind it as well as describing it and talking about the safety precautions...

In terms of the paper itself, i found the written questions much easier. I normally depend on the maths but i made so many errors. The Astro 6 marker was beaut; there were so many points you could make about CCDs structure function advantages etc. I did say i'd use the lens as an objective (stupidly) lol. Apart from that, loved astro (except my wrong H value on the last question) especially the sneaky diffraction pattern graph for the Rayleigh Criterion :smile:

I needed 98/120 ish for an A* but given the sheer number of calculation errors i made (and missing out the last part of the pressure question) and the high grade boundaries for astro, i dont think itll happen :/ how did astro people find the paper?

wish I was in the same situation as you

I more or less tanked my practical units, which effectively means that I need full UMS in both unit 4 and 5 to have a chance of an A*, and this is assuming that I've scraped half of the UMS in the unit 6 practical
Reply 1826
for the 6 marker would all marks be lost if i mentioned both techniques
Reply 1827

Generally found Astro okay, the 6 mark CCD question was an absolute god send! :biggrin:
Pretty much all fine except putting that the lens would be objective (don't worry you're not alone) because I didn't have a clue :colondollar:
Reply 1828
Original post by sam1w2e
I think 9 maybe? Not too sure either...
Well I have an offer of A*AAa but the A* can be in either Maths or Physics so not necessarily, yourself?

Mine's similar - I need A*AAA and A* is not specified. But want as many A*s as I can bag :tongue:
Original post by Jack93o
did you not notice that the question asks for the experiment to find what radiation was emitted?

it even mentioned that it was suspected that the source was emitting both alpha and gamma radiation (unless I remembered wrong?)

this was what gave me a real headache, because the source was not definitely only emitting one type of radiation, so its not a simple case of just measuring the count rate, plotting it up and then seeing a pattern showing either one of the three types of radiation

the count rate you got, could've been the combined effect of more than one type of radiation

Didn't it say describe an experiment in which you could determine which radiation the source emits? I think it said it was suspected that the source emitted gamma or alpha radiation.

I had to re-read the question like 5 times, and halfway through I was thinking oh crap! Am I answering the question properly?! It was a confusing QWC, :rolleyes:
Original post by idknow

You wouldn't lose all of the marks, but you would probably be penalised because the question stated that you should choose one of the techniques.
Reply 1831
Original post by ABaz
Mine's similar - I need A*AAA and A* is not specified. But want as many A*s as I can bag :tongue:

Same here! :rolleyes: What course is your offer for?
Reply 1832
Just thinking: last question on Turning Points, where they asked you to label P - would they care how accurately it's labeled? Was it me or was the scale awkward? Went up in 5's by 4 squares...
Original post by idknow

would be harsh if you did, I would assume they look at your first method and then ignore your other one

I have to say, the question was a bit weird, I spent longer than I should just reading the question, checking if they were really asking me to choose only one method, and there was also the problem with the fact that the source was potentially emitting more than one type of radiation - how the heck do you find this out using the varying distance method?

I mentioned how if the source was emitting alpha, then the count rate would drop like a stone after a few centimetres, and that if gamma radiation was also present, then the count rate should still register after 20cm for example
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jack93o
wish I was in the same situation as you

I more or less tanked my practical units, which effectively means that I need full UMS in both unit 4 and 5 to have a chance of an A*, and this is assuming that I've scraped half of the UMS in the unit 6 practical

Omg dude this is assuming my ISA mark doesnt go down. I know it sounds silly but after putting in the effort for the past few units, messing up this unit makes me feel like all of it was a wasted effort. There is no way i got more than 60/75 on this paper (even that is a stretch) and astro is normally 58 ish for an A :frown:

How was Unit 4? I hope it was ok.... did you do the EMPA or the ISA?
Reply 1835
Original post by sam1w2e
Same here! :rolleyes: What course is your offer for?

Natural Sciences (Physical), how about you?
Original post by sam1w2e
Generally found Astro okay, the 6 mark CCD question was an absolute god send! :biggrin:
Pretty much all fine except putting that the lens would be objective (don't worry you're not alone) because I didn't have a clue :colondollar:

Astro was amazeballs. I cant believe i got my value for H wrong! I used v = zc etc and converted to Mpc from light years and STILL managed to get the wrong answer. Then i derived T=1/H for part b and used the wrong value of H... got a small value and freaked out because of timing, and then decided to write my units as the inverse of that of H! #fail do you reckon i'd get 0/6 for those parts, or will they show me SOME mercy and give me 1 or 2?
Reply 1837
Original post by ABaz
Natural Sciences (Physical), how about you?

Chemical Engineering :biggrin:
Reply 1838
Original post by sam1w2e
Chemical Engineering :biggrin:

Niiiice. I might have gone for something like that if I didn't love Physics as much. Want to have the first year of Uni to ponder on which route I really want to take.
Omg dude this is assuming my ISA mark doesnt go down. I know it sounds silly but after putting in the effort for the past few units, messing up this unit makes me feel like all of it was a wasted effort. There is no way i got more than 60/75 on this paper (even that is a stretch) and astro is normally 58 ish for an A :frown:

How was Unit 4? I hope it was ok.... did you do the EMPA or the ISA?

I thought I done worse in unit 4, but because the grade boundaries are lower for it, then that just probably means I've done about the same as this paper :s-smilie:, and I done the EMPA

I just realised I messed up a bit more in that 6 marker, i mentioned that if the count rate was still registering after 20cm, then gamma is definitely present, which is not exactly correct, because beta radiation has a range of 'several metres' apparently

oh dear, the more I think about this paper, the more holes I can find in my answers. You know, I was actually feeling quite good right after the exam, thought I got 120/120, now I'm seeing more and more marks lost.......FUUUAAAAAARRRRKK :zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending