The Student Room Group

Psychology, Sociology, Law and Business A Level pros and cons?

I've just left school and finished my exams; thank god.
However, I've just read loads of disheartening posts about how hard A levels are compared to GCSE. I'm thinking about taking psychology, sociology, business and law. I was just wondering who is taking or has took these and what they thought of it. Also, if anyone has any A Level suggestions, around what kind of subjects I'm going to take.

PS. is the first year of business studies just like GCSE? Something else I heard that brightened my day.

Any advice would be super helpful.

Scroll to see replies

From what I understand, if you want to apply to a top University those subjects may not be good enough, depending on the course obviously, as these Universities tend to prefer traditional subjects.

I took Psychology and Sociology myself, which I deeply regret.

Sociology is a doddle, I and many friends find it ridiculously easy to get an A.

Psychology however, I find harder than History. There is so much to learn, the marking schemes are so precise, and I'd just advise any individual not to take the subject because I don't think it's worth it.
I've just finished doing sociology + business A Level.

Business is great at A Level! Really enjoyed it, exams aren't too bad and I actually learnt a lot of stuff that is useful for later life.

Sociology was the biggest stress of my life. I enjoyed the content of the course a lot, but the exams are stressful!
Also I wouldn't do both sociology and psychology. A friend took both and she regretted it as she kept mixing up the theorists and studies between both. A lot of people regretted taking psychology altogether tbh!
Reply 3
Original post by Miracle Day
From what I understand, if you want to apply to a top University those subjects may not be good enough, depending on the course obviously, as these Universities tend to prefer traditional subjects.

I took Psychology and Sociology myself, which I deeply regret.

Sociology is a doddle, I and many friends find it ridiculously easy to get an A.

Psychology however, I find harder than History. There is so much to learn, the marking schemes are so precise, and I'd just advise any individual not to take the subject because I don't think it's worth it.

Okay, after going on this website, I feel the need to re-evaluate my life plan ha! So what subjects do you suggest? Did you take History as well? - How did you find it?
Reply 4
Original post by Ollymurslove
I've just finished doing sociology + business A Level.

Business is great at A Level! Really enjoyed it, exams aren't too bad and I actually learnt a lot of stuff that is useful for later life.

Sociology was the biggest stress of my life. I enjoyed the content of the course a lot, but the exams are stressful!
Also I wouldn't do both sociology and psychology. A friend took both and she regretted it as she kept mixing up the theorists and studies between both. A lot of people regretted taking psychology altogether tbh!

So you'd recommend Business? Did you take it at GCSE, if so, is it similar? What other A Levels did you take and how did you find them?
Original post by bobbiedoyle7
Okay, after going on this website, I feel the need to re-evaluate my life plan ha! So what subjects do you suggest? Did you take History as well? - How did you find it?

I love History. I think it's a subject that without a doubt, you put in the effort, you learn how to answer the question, and you get the top grades. And I find it extremely interesting, as do many that take it.

What subjects do you enjoy OP?

Also, I'll just throw it out there. With Sociology I find the content incredibly boring, and I think the theories are a load of crap.
Reply 6
I love History. I think it's a subject that without a doubt, you put in the effort, you learn how to answer the question, and you get the top grades. And I find it extremely interesting, as do many that take it.

What subjects do you enjoy OP?

Also, I'll just throw it out there. With Sociology I find the content incredibly boring, and I think the theories are a load of crap.

I loved the learning side of History at GCSE but really struggled with answer the questions in exams. I got an A* on my coursework though, I just need to transfer my essay writing into exam questions and get my timings right. I really understand and enjoy business, even though it does get dull. Although, someone told me to take economics instead of business. I don't really know what I want to do, so I can't even narrow my options. I just want good A Levels, to get a good job and not to ruin any opportunities for uni/life. People have suggested English Lit because its traditional and open to most careers.
Here's my experience;

Law - complete memory game - in this sense, it is easier then other subjects as it's simply memory but do not underestimate how much there is to remember. Law A2 exams often took more priority than my others. If you have a good memory and have no problem with reciting over 50 cases to memory (at AS) and way over 100 (at A2) then it can actually be very enjoyable. Other benefits lie in that the textbook (for OCR anyway) is generally pretty straightforward and if your teacher is awful, you can still self-teach easily.

Psychology & Sociology - I haven't taken either of these, but what's interesting is my friend took the identical combination as you minus business studies. Don't worry about uni offers, she got offers from Manchester, Kings, Nottingham and Cardiff so clearly they thought her A Levels were acceptable. Psychology she enjoys but overall her grades have been unstable. Sociology for her seems a bore, and generally whenever I hear her speak about it she is generally disinterested - however, that said, she has said it is easier to get an A.
I loved the learning side of History at GCSE but really struggled with answer the questions in exams. I got an A* on my coursework though, I just need to transfer my essay writing into exam questions and get my timings right. I really understand and enjoy business, even though it does get dull. Although, someone told me to take economics instead of business. I don't really know what I want to do, so I can't even narrow my options. I just want good A Levels, to get a good job and not to ruin any opportunities for uni/life. People have suggested English Lit because its traditional and open to most careers.

Do you know what course you'll be studying if you did A Level History?
Reply 9
Original post by millie-rose
Here's my experience;

Law - complete memory game - in this sense, it is easier then other subjects as it's simply memory but do not underestimate how much there is to remember. Law A2 exams often took more priority than my others. If you have a good memory and have no problem with reciting over 50 cases to memory (at AS) and way over 100 (at A2) then it can actually be very enjoyable. Other benefits lie in that the textbook (for OCR anyway) is generally pretty straightforward and if your teacher is awful, you can still self-teach easily.

Psychology & Sociology - I haven't taken either of these, but what's interesting is my friend took the identical combination as you minus business studies. Don't worry about uni offers, she got offers from Manchester, Kings, Nottingham and Cardiff so clearly they thought her A Levels were acceptable. Psychology she enjoys but overall her grades have been unstable. Sociology for her seems a bore, and generally whenever I hear her speak about it she is generally disinterested - however, that said, she has said it is easier to get an A.

Thank you for your input, it's so hard to make a decision! I've had to rethink everything! I might take Law and try my best to remember. I'm not so sure on sociology any more and psychology, I'm quite worried about now.
Reply 10
Do you know what course you'll be studying if you did A Level History?

At AS level you will study the collapse of Tsarism and the emergence of the world’s first communist state. You will also explore the impact of war on society and politics in Britain from 1900 to the present day. In the second year you will complete a coursework project on a topic of your choice. You will also investigate:

The reasons for the collapse of Tsarism

The impact on Russia of the First World War and Revolution

The creation of a one party dictatorship under Lenin

The impact of war on the development of women’s rights, social cohesion, and politics in Britain

Coursework on your chosen topic a person, event, building, symbol or anything else of historical significance

Studying and evaluating the historical interpretations of the Holocaust

At AS level you will study the collapse of Tsarism and the emergence of the world’s first communist state. You will also explore the impact of war on society and politics in Britain from 1900 to the present day. In the second year you will complete a coursework project on a topic of your choice. You will also investigate:

The reasons for the collapse of Tsarism

The impact on Russia of the First World War and Revolution

The creation of a one party dictatorship under Lenin

The impact of war on the development of women’s rights, social cohesion, and politics in Britain

Coursework on your chosen topic a person, event, building, symbol or anything else of historical significance

Studying and evaluating the historical interpretations of the Holocaust

That does sound interesting to be, but I'm biased, my idea of a perfect date would be to cuddle and watch a histor docuementary :rollseyes:

Also, you have potential to do really well with with the coursework which will bring your grade up which is a luxury you probably won't get with Psychology and Sociology.
Reply 12
That does sound interesting to be, but I'm biased, my idea of a perfect date would be to cuddle and watch a histor docuementary :rollseyes:

Also, you have potential to do really well with with the coursework which will bring your grade up which is a luxury you probably won't get with Psychology and Sociology.

Yeah I just realised that, it does sound interesting too. It will probably be one of my options now! As of Psychology and Sociology - I don't know where I stand.
I've just left school and finished my exams; thank god.
However, I've just read loads of disheartening posts about how hard A levels are compared to GCSE. I'm thinking about taking psychology, sociology, business and law. I was just wondering who is taking or has took these and what they thought of it. Also, if anyone has any A Level suggestions, around what kind of subjects I'm going to take.

PS. is the first year of business studies just like GCSE? Something else I heard that brightened my day.

Any advice would be super helpful.

Hi! I've just finished my AS level exams, and they are harder, but with a lot of work and revision I didn't find them that bad. I do psychology, law, business and English lit btw.

Psychology is very interesting, if you do the OCR course like I do (i dont really know about the other exam board curriculum) you'll be learning 7 approaches or perspectives, and 15 studies (some overlap). It's very interesting to learn about them but you really need to keep on top of notes and try and revise as early as possible for that exam (revision Mind maps helped a lot!!) there's also another exam which is fairly straightforward, on psychological investigations (experiments, correlations, self reports and observations). REVISE HARD FOR THIS SUBJECT! A lot of people I know like psychology and others dislike it; sometimes I think it depends what sort of tutor you have, mine is really bubbly and funny and makes the lessons really fun and therefore the information is easy to remember but if lessons are taught in a boring way it is very hard to get the information into your head!

Law is another one that requires a lot of hard work, again I am on the OCR exam board and it's two exams, one on a range of subjects such a solicitors, juries, magistrates, the courts etc and the other on sources of law, so legislation, European law, judicial precedent and statutory interpretation (thats awful). Personally I don't really like law that much, but if you work hard for it you'll most likely get a good grade in it (CUE CARDS FOR REVISION and also your tutor will most likely tell you what's going to come up, but don't narrow revision to a small area of the curriculum, because like I found out, it's not always good:frown: )

Business is one of my favourite subjects, it's relatively straight forward and yes the first year is very similar to GCSE but you learn it more in depth, you'll probably find that you know some of the information that is being given is something you've learnt - which is always great because you'll understand it more! It's mostly common sense as well, and fairly obvious answers (low pay of employees will obviously demotivate them in the workforce for example).

It really depends on what you want to do for university or career, for example if you want to do psychology, they will probably want a science at a level, but most universities tend to accept psychology on as well. I decided to do English literature just to try and do a 'hard' subject (according to Gove). History is always a good one, but I've heard it's hard to get a good grade for example. I think 90% of students doing sociology got an A in the January exam, so it must be a good alevel

Hopefully this has helped you, if you have any other questions ill be happy to help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I just realised that, it does sound interesting too. It will probably be one of my options now! As of Psychology and Sociology - I don't know where I stand.

Definitely take History. If you nail the coursework, it isn't that hard to get an A*. I'm in such a great position now.

What other subjects do you enjoy?
I see a lot of people advising you against psychology...
I've never done Sociology, so I can't advise you on that.

But I loved every minute of psychology, and lots of people I know loved it too. It just depends on what you're interested in.
Lots of people take psychology thinking that they'll instantly be able to analyse people's minds and it's all about learning tricks, but that isn't it.
You'll learn to conduct a decent psychology experiment and evaluate other experiments. You'll learn how to understand the basics of psychology, such as the different aspects of psychology and how these aspects can explain human behaviour, and how psychology research can be useful to us. There is essay writing involved. It's difficult sometimes, but not impossible as long as you're interested enough.

I think when you take psychology, it has to be purely because it interests you. If you're taking psychology as a degree, it will be useful, of course. But psychology is over-subscribed, so I think if you should only consider that if you're willing to do a post-graduate in it and are willing to work hard.
As for using it for other subjects... I think it depends on the course and the university you're going to. Top universities don't respect it much, especially if it's also combined with sociology. So I would check with universities first, and make a decision if sociology or psychology interests you more.
(edited 10 years ago)
You've definitely got the good History course. When I started History we had the other syllabus and it was awful. So if you like History I'd go for that, everyone I know who did Russia loved it. Very lucky! History and psychology are largely strong choices so if you picked those two and then had one like sociology/law/business that would more than likely be fine for the top unis :smile: although obviously english lit would be a stronger choice.
Reply 17
Definitely take History. If you nail the coursework, it isn't that hard to get an A*. I'm in such a great position now.

What other subjects do you enjoy?

What are you doing now?
I like to ask questions and to debate, don't know what subject that refers most to though. I can't take a science because my year 10 grade let me down.
Reply 18
Original post by beccagood95
I see a lot of people advising you against psychology...
I've never done Sociology, so I can't advise you on that.

But I loved every minute of psychology, and lots of people I know loved it too. It just depends on what you're interested in.
Lots of people take psychology thinking that they'll instantly be able to analyse people's minds and it's all about learning tricks, but that isn't it.
You'll learn to conduct a decent psychology experiment and evaluate other experiments. You'll learn how to understand the basics of psychology, such as the different aspects of psychology and how these aspects can explain human behaviour, and how psychology research can be useful to us. There is essay writing involved. It's difficult sometimes, but not impossible as long as you're interested enough.

I think when you take psychology, it has to be purely because it interests you. If you're taking psychology as a degree, it will be useful, of course. But psychology is over-subscribed, so I think if you should only consider that if you're willing to do a post-graduate in it and are willing to work hard.
As for using it for other subjects... I think it depends on the course and the university you're going to. Top universities don't respect it much, especially if it's also combined with sociology. So I would check with universities first, and make a decision if sociology or psychology interests you more.

Yeah, it's hard when everyone says not to take it when you had your mind set but I understand I have to be practical and think of the future. I don't have a clue what I want to be though!
Reply 19
Original post by infairverona
You've definitely got the good History course. When I started History we had the other syllabus and it was awful. So if you like History I'd go for that, everyone I know who did Russia loved it. Very lucky! History and psychology are largely strong choices so if you picked those two and then had one like sociology/law/business that would more than likely be fine for the top unis :smile: although obviously english lit would be a stronger choice.

I'm not so worried about the top unis:/ Bath is near me though and it's in the top ten, just! I'm torn between English Lit, Psychology, Law, Business and History. I know some colleges let you take 5 but I think it would be too much work.

Quick Reply

Latest