The Student Room Group

6PH05 Physics Unit 5: From Creation To Collapse, June 20

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
How did you guys find it?
Reply 161
i found it was ok and think I did much better than jan!
Reply 162
Couldve gone worse I thought! There wasn't anything which completely stumped me like the amp clamp question in unit 4. I liked the really broad high mark questions too, the ones about parallax / standard candles & the life cycle of the sun.:smile:
Reply 163
I found that paper harder than most/all of the past papers, but I also think I did pretty well.

There was a lot I had to think about quite a bit, but nothing that particularly stumped me, apart from the question where we had to add a temperature scale to the H-R diagram. I knew the higher temperatures were on the left, and I knew the sun's temperature, but I had no idea what range of values to use.

Apart from that one question, I'm reasonably confident. I still think I'm in with a chance at the A* I was hoping for ^^
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 164
Page 4.jpg
Page 5.jpgPage 6.jpgPage 7.jpgPage 8.jpg
Page 9.jpgPage 10.jpg

Here..asked the invigilator for a script and she gave me....Shoulda done that for the exams before..but hey! This is the first 10..the first 3 were upside down sorry... tried to fix but now they are in the thumbnails...not sure how to remove as 10 images is the max...I found the exam to be excellent although..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 165
The rest are here
Page 11.jpgPage 12.jpgPage 13.jpgPage 14.jpgPage 15.jpg
Page 16.jpgPage 17.jpgPage 18.jpgPage 19.jpgPage 20.jpg
Reply 166
Hi guys, these are my answers to the paper. Non of them are 100% correct. Like you, I dont know.
gonna skip the multiple choice, as I forgot my answers.

Q11) was easy

Q12) A)8.8 B)21 KG/s

q13) A)The distance between the two pendulums is what decides the amount of energy transferred, and the amount of enegy tranferred probably caused resonance at C, making it oscillate with a big amplitude.
B) max K.E. is when the time is 0
and the second part i didnot know? i drew the same wave but with a smaller amplitude?

Q14) was easy

Q15) A) 6.61*10^-11
B) I)5.1s
II)loss of energy...
III) was easy

16) A) Temperature of liquid and gas. mass of gas.
B) was easy but what was the assumption? i wrote the radius of the tube remains constant?
C)8.3*10^ 20
D)
I) hydrogen lighter, more pressure?
II) both gain energy, gas more, so less pressure

Q17) A)I)II)was easy
III) 13 MeV

Q18) A) I)150MbQ
II) 2.5*10^14 i think this is wrong? as it was asking for a fraction, or was it just asking for the number of decayed particles?

B) was easy.

please if there are any mistakes tell me, and i will edit it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wasferd
Hi guys, these are my answers to the paper. Non of them are 100% correct. Like you, I dont know.
gonna skip the multiple choice, as I forgot my answers.

Q11) was easy

Q12) A)8.8 B)21 KG/s

q13) A)The distance between the two pendulums is what decides the amount of energy transferred, and the amount of enegy tranferred probably caused resonance at C, making it oscillate with a big amplitude.
B) max K.E. is when the time is 0
and the second part i didnot know? i drew the same wave but with a smaller amplitude?

Q14) was easy

Q15) A) 6.61*10^-11
B) I)5.1s
II)loss of energy...
III) was easy

16) A) Temperature of liquid and gas. mass of gas.
B) was easy but what was the assumption? i wrote the radius of the tube remains constant?
C)8.3*10^ 20 i think this is wrong? as it was asking for a fraction, or was it just asking for the number of decayed particles?
D)
I) hydrogen lighter, more pressure?
II) both gain energy, gas more, so less pressure

Q17) A)I)II)was easy
III) 13 MeV

Q18) A) I)150MbQ
II) 2.5*10^14

B) was easy.

please if there are any mistakes tell me, and i will edit it.

You got question 12 wrong, I remember that me and everyone at my school got 0.02 something kilograms or so, not that many. And some other questions too... For example changing it for hydrogen, from what i've heard, doesn't do anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by jandroman767
You got question 12 wrong, I remember that me and everyone at my school got 0.02 something kilograms or so, not that many. And some other questions too... For example changing it for hydrogen, from what i've heard, doesn't do anything.

please write the calculation for question 12 and what else was wrong?
thanks
Sorry for question 12b, did we gave to work out time or mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx
Sorry for question 12b, did we gave to work out time or mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

mass flow rate, as in Kg/s. The mass of water passing per second.
I think this exam will probably have fairly high grade boundaries (although hopefully not as high as unit 4 jan 2013!).

I think an A* will be around 67 and an A around 61. What does everyone else think?

Also, for the inversely proportional, would it be okay if I tested a point to find k (proportionality constant), and then showed that a couple of other points satisfied this?
Original post by wasferd
mass flow rate, as in Kg/s. The mass of water passing per second.

Waaa... I just did specific heat capacity times change in temp divided by power. Grrr...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wasferd
please write the calculation for question 12 and what else was wrong?
thanks

For the one where you had to sketch the graph, I drew the same curve but translated a bit to the right (I think it was effectively a negative cosine curve). I'm not sure if this is right though.

For 12(b), I just did 6000420030=0.048kgs1\frac{6000}{4200*30}=0.048kgs^{-1} :dontknow:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 174
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx
Waaa... I just did specific heat capacity times change in temp divided by power. Grrr...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasnt it 6000÷(4200×30) for the rate of flow
Original post by ZT-99
Wasnt it 6000÷(4200×30) for the rate of flow

Your probably right, I know Im wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the flow rate I got 0.05 kgs-1 by 6000/(4200*(37.5-7.5))

And the period of the oscillation was 6*60 =360seconds?

Forgot the unit for activity so i put decays per second does it matter?

The fraction that decayed was 1-0.9=0.1

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
How did everyone work out how to prove that the oscillation was exponential?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178
guys, what did u get for the mass defecit one?
Reply 179
and also question 18?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending