The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nikkinak
But the great thing about prose analysis is that they don't expect loads of stuff about themes, so much of it is content based! Are you doing Sallust for lit?

Err... what kind of things are you meant to put in the literature essays? Is it just 'Sallust makes this vivid by emphasising the decline of morals. He uses asyndeton [example]. He places the verb at the start [example]. Vivd language [example]. NEXT PARAGRAPH HO!'? Or is it more about WHAT he's saying than HOW he's saying it?
Reply 181
Original post by tjf8
Has anyone got a good vocab list for Livy?

http://www.memrise.com/course/97831/livy-75-most-frequently-used-vocab/

This is one that I made, it contains 75% most frequently used words excluding obvious words like 'ego' or 'sum', as most of us will know those by now...
Original post by ftw7
http://www.memrise.com/course/97831/livy-75-most-frequently-used-vocab/

This is one that I made, it contains 75% most frequently used words excluding obvious words like 'ego' or 'sum', as most of us will know those by now...

Nice one :smile: I don't suppose I could access that list by any other method than that website? Do you have a copy of it?
Reply 183
Original post by tjf8
Nice one :smile: I don't suppose I could access that list by any other method than that website? Do you have a copy of it?

No I don't have a copy of it unfortunately, I in putted it straight into the website, I'm not sure if you can export it like you can on quizlet..

This is where I got all of the vocab from though:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/vocablist?works=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0169&sort=weighted_freq&filt=75&filt_custom=&output=table&lang=la
Original post by ftw7
No I don't have a copy of it unfortunately, I in putted it straight into the website, I'm not sure if you can export it like you can on quizlet..

This is where I got all of the vocab from though:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/vocablist?works=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0169&sort=weighted_freq&filt=75&filt_custom=&output=table&lang=la

Wow, thanks, that looks complicated; I'll have a look :smile: it's just that I can't stand Memrise it takes so long to actually learn anything.
Original post by latincandie
I'm finding it so hard to revise right now :frown: I'm most scared about the language, does anyone know some good sites that can help?

I used memrise for learning vocab, but other than that I don't really know how it's possible to revise for language :frown:
Reply 186
Could anybody give me some bullet points about what is most important to keep in mind/learn for Sallust's Bellum Catilinae? What are the examiners really looking for, and does anyone have any predictions about which sections may come up/possible questions? Thanks, this exam is worrying me so much:smile:
Reply 187
Only a few more days left and we're free!! :biggrin: keep going everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by skyblue5
Only a few more days left and we're free!! :biggrin: keep going everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its hard when everyones going out, and your having to say 'i cant im revising' - i think ive lost the will to revise.
Reply 189
Original post by joereed
Its hard when everyones going out, and your having to say 'i cant im revising' - i think ive lost the will to revise.

I know exactly how you feel....it's the most annoying thing in the world. Just thinking that you've been waiting for this day for ages! The thought of summer is probably the only thing keeping me remotely sane as well as willing myself to continue. 😳👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
I hate this! The only people left are us and the further mathematicians.. One of my friends is doing both, poor guy.
Reply 191
Original post by tatters
I hate this! The only people left are us and the further mathematicians.. One of my friends is doing both, poor guy.

It just doesn't feel right revising does it? However think, People left are usually the brightest in the UK!
Reply 192
Original post by joereed
It just doesn't feel right revising does it? However think, People left are usually the brightest in the UK!

Normally that would make me feel better, but this is just going too far! I'm finding it so difficult to motivate myself :frown:
Reply 193
Original post by tatters
Normally that would make me feel better, but this is just going too far! I'm finding it so difficult to motivate myself :frown:

Feel the same. I felt as if it was the end on Wednesday, my penultimate exam. What set texts are you doing?
Reply 194
Original post by joereed
Feel the same. I felt as if it was the end on Wednesday, my penultimate exam. What set texts are you doing?

Me too! OCR chemistry?! All of my friends finished then. I'm doing Tacitus :frown: and prose composition. What about you?
Reply 195
Original post by tatters
Me too! OCR chemistry?! All of my friends finished then. I'm doing Tacitus :frown: and prose composition. What about you?

Nope, I will be one of the few who do PE with Latin, I know a strange choice, but I chose it as kind of a banker for an A. Yes I'm doing Tacitus, but the dreaded Livy :frown:. How are you finding the Tacitus? I am just learning class notes, Miller notes and the translation.
Reply 196
Original post by joereed
Nope, I will be one of the few who do PE with Latin, I know a strange choice, but I chose it as kind of a banker for an A. Yes I'm doing Tacitus, but the dreaded Livy :frown:. How are you finding the Tacitus? I am just learning class notes, Miller notes and the translation.

Ah right! That's what I'm doing, I find prose so much more difficult to talk about than verse though! Hopefully a question about Nero or the burning of Rome will come up, as they're probably the easiest things to talk about.
Hey guys, does anyone have any advice for the prose 25 markers? For the verse, I found it much easier to give a thematic response with loads of stylistic points supporting it - but for the Sallust I'm kind of confused about how I should approach it. Any advice is really appreciated, and really good luck to you all on Monday! It's nearly over :wink:
Is there any chance you could upload any of your others essays? It'd be really useful!
Original post by emma2013
I'm taking the AS lang paper on friday!

Right... a variety of my practice essays: (if my uploads work!)

This is a Sallust essay, got 21/25. As you can see it's not actually that long, so if you're worried about time this should be reassuring!

Page 1 Cheltenham-20130521-00090.jpg Page 2 Cheltenham-20130521-00091.jpg

This is a Virgil essay, got 22/25. Again, only 2 sides, you just need to make sure you're really concise and refer directly to the text :smile:

Page 1 Cheltenham-20130521-00092.jpg Page 2 Cheltenham-20130521-00094.jpg

If anyone finds this useful, I'd be happy to upload any more :smile:
Sorry quality's not great x
Reply 199
Original post by tatters
Ah right! That's what I'm doing, I find prose so much more difficult to talk about than verse though! Hopefully a question about Nero or the burning of Rome will come up, as they're probably the easiest things to talk about.

Yer the fire seems to have a lot to talk about, questions like 'how does Tacitus portray Nero' or along those lines. Im struggling on chapters 20-23, as they seems to have no relevance and I don't really know whats going on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending