The Student Room Group

What sanitary protection do you use?

Scroll to see replies

Is there an issue with leaks (assuming you insert it properly) with the mooncup? I am seriously considering one of these now. Not tried tampons and hate towels.
Original post by OU Student
Is there an issue with leaks (assuming you insert it properly) with the mooncup? I am seriously considering one of these now. Not tried tampons and hate towels.

The only time mine has ever leaked (apart from when It wasn't in quite right) is once or twice when I've been on a particularly heavy day and its"overflowed" by a bit, it has holes near the top that create the seal and if its filled above that point, it can leak. This rarely happens as it holds so much and most of the time you can get away with only emptying it twice a day, but you get to know your flow in relation to the cup and how often you need to empty, I was just caught out a couple of times by my body being a bit random. If you know you're on a heavy day you can use a pantyliner as backup if it makes you feel more secure.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Just looked into mooncups - they look pretty good, I'm going to have to get one I think!

I have heard people before saying you can still have sex whilst wearing a mooncup...??!!! Is that right? I can't imagine that would work, ie he wouldn't fit in?!!

I use tampons at the moment. I wear them through the night, simply because I hate the mess with pads as even when I 'clean up' and use a tampon again in the morning there is always some initial leakage!! But I am also conscious of TSS and am a little worried wearing tampons all the time for 5 days.

Hoping I'll get on with the mooncup....just not a fan of paying £20 when I might hate it and I'm as skint as hell to waste £20 :/ ....any cheaper options guyysss???

Its softcups you are meant to be able to use whilst having sex, its shaped like the contraceptive cap so it sits high up. Maybe you could get some softcups (theyre disposable) to try it out before buying a mooncup?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you just want a 'one pad fits all', and can't be bothered changing it every 2 minutes (I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean), then I'd thoroughly recommend Kotex Nightime pads. The black and red packet, available from Superdrug and independent chemists.

I use them day and night, not just because my periods are heavy, but because they're the most soft and comfy pads you can buy! And very absorbent, too.

Yes, they're a little thick and bulky, so not the best for use with leggings or tight-fitting clothes, but otherwise, especially with a skirt and/or dress and tights, they're great.

I really don't get on with Always pads, or indeed most other brands, because I find the synthetic materials they're made from quite hard and scratchy against my skin, and definitely not comfy!

Kotex Nightime pads are different, because the filling is made from old-fashioned cotton wool and the top cover is lovely and soft, so the pad is always 'cushioning' you down below, which is great especially when you're a bit sore.

It won't really help with your b/f, but he shouldn't really be touching you there anyway when you're on, so do like I do and just push his hand away and tell him that you've got your period, and that should be enough to combat his wandering hands!

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Just a small update. I now use the old fashioned Dr Whites looped pads, which an older girl introduced me to. These are the best pads eva!! They're even softer and comfier than the Kotex ones and really protect you. You're supposed to wear them with a belt thingy that goes around your waist, but I don't bother and just slip them inside my stretchy close-fitting Sloggi knickers, and pop some tights over them!

Honestly, if your periods are heavy and are fed up with normal pads that often leak, I defo recommend the Dr Whites. Once you get used to wearing them, and how comfy the feel, you won't want to use anything else!!:smile:

These are the ones I mean: https://www.chemist-4-u.com/dr-white

Quick Reply

Latest