The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Here is a link for the unofficial mark scheme to save people looking for it :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2386623&p=43254242#post43254242
Original post by Math-Magician
Maths at Warwick (if I get in). I need the same grades as you for that :s-smilie: What are you hoping to do?

Maths at Warwick is my firm and UCL Maths Insurance :P.
Are you doing STEP or AEA or both? Just taking AEA
I think there were some positrons or electrons as well? I'm not too sure, I can't really remember the question. If there were some electrons I think you have to include them.

Had to include everything except the neutrino I believe.
I think I got like 57 for unit 4 retake and 57 for unit 5. And got 47 for ISA. You lot think it would be enough for an A* considering the difficulties?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dslash
No there wasn't a question on the back.
Q2:
State de broglies hypothesis: 2 marks
Calc. the db-wavelength of the particle: 4 marks
Electron with the same db-wavelength: 2 marks

Thanks so much for that, I thought I'd missed a question out. Aaah relief.
Reply 1925
Not feeling too confident after thinking over questions. I got 25.7 instead of 24.7 on the first question for some reason. And 13.5 billion years instead of 13.6 billion on the last Astrophysics part. Also wrote about both experiments on the section A 6 marker :redface:
I'll need anywhere from 106-112 UMS for an A* overall depending on how many UMS I get for my ISA mark which would mean like around 65/75 at most which is looking unlikely right now :facepalm:
Original post by jarasta
Maths at Warwick is my firm and UCL Maths Insurance :P.
Are you doing STEP or AEA or both? Just taking AEA

Ah good choice, that'll be why we have the same offer! Yeah, I'm doing STEP I and AEA on Tuesday. What a nightmare! Hopefully our AEA will be like 2011 or 2012, they were really nice, although I'm going to be a zombie by then as I'm doing STEP first. :colone:
Ah good choice, that'll be why we have the same offer! Yeah, I'm doing STEP I and AEA on Tuesday. What a nightmare! Hopefully our AEA will be like 2011 or 2012, they were really nice, although I'm going to be a zombie by then as I'm doing STEP first. :colone:

Oh yeah! 6 hours!! wow, good luck. Will you get a supervised break or something? I already feel like 3 hours is a lot on AEA, let alone 6, atleast you have somewhat a higher probability of meeting your offer. Some what, assuming your performance doesn't worsen between STEP I and AEA.
Section A:
1a) define an atomic mass unit (1 mark)
b) describe and explain the difference between the mass of a He nucleons and the nucleons that make (something like that) (2 marks).
c) explain the high energy in the stars to undergo fusion (3 marks)
d) equations in the CNO cycle (3 marks)
e) mass defect question with four hydrogen-1 nuclei making a helium nucleus and two positrons (3 marks)
2a) describe a way to reduce the energy output of a nuclear power plant (2 marks)
b) give a source of high radiation from a nuclear power station (1 mark)
c) explain and describe the nature of the radiation emitted from the moderator after collision with a neutron transferring kinetic energy. (2 marks)
d) the collision with a neutron and a moderator is elastic, what happens to the neutron after collision (something like that) (2 marks).
3a)i) cola at 3 degrees is put into a glass at 30 degrees, show that the final temperature of the cola is 8 degrees. (2 marks)
a)ii) ice at zero degrees is put into the cola and brings it to 3 degrees (if I remember right). Calculate the mass of the Ice (3 marks). All values of C and l are given in these these questions.
4a) definition of an ideal gas (2 marks)
b) work out the number of moles in a gas of container volume 0.2 m^3. (2 marks)
c) calculate the density when the molar mass is given, give a unit (3 marks)
d) some air escapes from the cylinder when it is at higher altitude, find the new mass. (Not too sure about this one) (3 marks)
5) six marker QWC question on devising an experiment to test the radiation emitted from a source. (6 marks)

This is the improved version of section A, thanks to the help of others. If anyone can try to get their hands on the paper that would be great.

This one is pretty good too:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=43258444&postcount=11
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1929
Original post by david2457
Section A:
1a) define an atomic mass unit (1 mark)
b) describe and explain the difference between the mass of a He nucleons and the nucleons that make (something like that) (2 marks).
c) explain the high energy in the stars to undergo fusion (3 marks)
d) equations in the CNO cycle (3 marks)
e) mass defect question with four hydrogen-1 nuclei making a helium nucleus and two positrons (3 marks)
2a) describe a way to reduce the energy output of a nuclear power plant (2 marks)
b) give a source of high radiation from a nuclear power station (1 mark)
c) explain and describe the nature of the radiation emitted from the moderator after collision with a neutron transferring kinetic energy. (2 marks)
d) the collision with a neutron and a moderator is elastic, what happens to the neutron after collision (something like that) (2 marks).
3a)i) cola at 3 degrees is put into a glass at 30 degrees, show that the final temperature of the cola is 8 degrees. (2 marks)
a)ii) ice at zero degrees is put into the cola and brings it to 3 degrees (if I remember right). Calculate the mass of the Ice (3 marks). All values of C and l are given in these these questions.
4a) definition of an ideal gas (2 marks)
b) work out the number of moles in a gas of container volume 0.2 m^3. (2 marks)
c) calculate the density when the molar mass is given, give a unit (3 marks)
d) some air escapes from the cylinder when it is at higher altitude, find the new mass. (Not too sure about this one) (3 marks)
5) six marker QWC question on devising an experiment to test the radiation emitted from a source. (6 marks)

This is the improved version of section A, thanks to the help of others. If anyone can try to get their hands on the paper that would be great.

This one is pretty good too:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=43258444&postcount=11

Was the answer to radioactive source fission fragments or spent fuel rods?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSI_10
Was the answer to radioactive source fission fragments or spent fuel rods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did spent fuel rods. It just seems more ideal to say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For 4d i did pV=nRT. Is that defo wrong? God knows what ans I got

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jarasta
Oh yeah! 6 hours!! wow, good luck. Will you get a supervised break or something? I already feel like 3 hours is a lot on AEA, let alone 6, atleast you have somewhat a higher probability of meeting your offer. Some what, assuming your performance doesn't worsen between STEP I and AEA.

I get to have lunch with the invigilator. :eek:

Luckily I don't have a short attention span!
Reply 1933
Original post by cooldudeman
I did spent fuel rods. It just seems more ideal to say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn there's another mark lost :/ but yeah that's right for Q4

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get to have lunch with the invigilator. :eek:

Luckily I don't have a short attention span!

ahahah oh wow, sucks to be you then man. good luck to us though!!
Original post by MSI_10
Damn there's another mark lost :/ but yeah that's right for Q4

Posted from TSR Mobile

with 4d) when using pV=nRT, did you have to add any pressures? because i think i read some people did that or something. i dont remember doing that. i just used that equation to find volume (i think!!) with the new given pressure and found the mass.
with 4d) when using pV=nRT, did you have to add any pressures? because i think i read some people did that or something. i dont remember doing that. i just used that equation to find volume (i think!!) with the new given pressure and found the mass.
you wouldn't add atmosphere pressure, you were given the new pressure at the new height. If you think about it, the new pressure would have to smaller anyway, so it makes sense to NOT add.
Reply 1937
Original post by jamzzster
I'm so glad this exam is done and out of the way, now to stop thinking about it. Oh wait I keep visiting this thread..

:lol:
Original post by jarasta
you wouldn't add atmosphere pressure, you were given the new pressure at the new height. If you think about it, the new pressure would have to smaller anyway, so it makes sense to NOT add.

Yeah I never added.
Can you tell me exactly what you're supposed to do by this method. I remember having to use 2 equations to find the new mass.

This tension is killing me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I never added.
Can you tell me exactly what you're supposed to do by this method. I remember having to use 2 equations to find the new mass.

This tension is killing me

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were given P V and T at the new height.
So you had to work out the new moles by Pv/RT=n then n times molar mass is the mass if the gas at the new height. Not to sound like an ass or anything I dont understand why people seem to have had trouble with this question. It was like the one before.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending