The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
Nimanaya, nimapaparooshka, nimanyet, nimamolokay...
ay ay ay ay nimapaparooshka, ay ay ay ay nimamolokay! (8) :cool:

Okk so I just made that up :tongue:

My grandmother, mother and father threw me Russian songs left, right and centre. No wonder the GCSE listening was like "MY................NAME....................IS.......................VOVA!............IN...............MY................FAMILY................THERE.................IS...................A.........................DOG...........................MY......................MOTHER......................AND.........................ME!"

AS listening wasn't too bad though I was getting stuck on the "not far from being not good" part.

French, conversely, was more "eskfbskbfsjdbfksdjbfksjdbfksdbfksbfsdbfksdbfsbkfjksdbfksbdfsjbfjbfjfbkdjfbkjfbsjfbkbfsjbfsjbfjsbfksbfs les baskets!" I did watch films but didn't listen to any music or read French children books. I read old Russian books (like 16-17th century) and listened to tons of Russian music but no films were watched.

Tldr: Music is important in learning a language!

PS. I have listened to Spanish music too but it's not your typical everyday Spanish. It's a gypsy dialect (Gipsy Kings), so I'm not sure how much that is helpful until I figure out what they are really singing. Enrique Iglesias sings both in Spanish and English - and Celine Dion sings both in French and English too. :smile:

PPS. Here is one of Valeria's awesome songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAcKh3RRq4

And a recent cartoon :cute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYniUCGPGLs
Reply 2661
Original post by SecretDuck
My grandmother, mother and father threw me Russian songs left, right and centre. No wonder the GCSE listening was like "MY................NAME....................IS.......................VOVA!............IN...............MY................FAMILY................THERE.................IS...................A.........................DOG...........................MY......................MOTHER......................AND.........................ME!"

AS listening wasn't too bad though I was getting stuck on the "not far from being not good" part.

French, conversely, was more "eskfbskbfsjdbfksdjbfksjdbfksdbfksbfsdbfksdbfsbkfjksdbfksbdfsjbfjbfjfbkdjfbkjfbsjfbkbfsjbfsjbfjsbfksbfs les baskets!" I did watch films but didn't listen to any music or read French children books. I read old Russian books (like 16-17th century) and listened to tons of Russian music but no films were watched.

Tldr: Music is important in learning a language!

PS. I have listened to Spanish music too but it's not your typical everyday Spanish. It's a gypsy dialect (Gipsy Kings), so I'm not sure how much that is helpful until I figure out what they are really singing. Enrique Iglesias sings both in Spanish and English - and Celine Dion sings both in French and English too. :smile:

PPS. Here is one of Valeria's awesome songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAcKh3RRq4

And a recent cartoon :cute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYniUCGPGLs

Don't forget Shakira (...I had)!
Original post by constantmeowage
Nee het zou eigenlijk ook in het Duits 'ausspreche' zijn. Ik heb toch tegen je gezegd dat ik veel fouten zal maken. :wink:

Ik maak ook nog steeds een paar fouten hoor!
You're still waaay too advanced for someone who doesn't live in Holland aka The Kingdom of the Netherlands or whatever it's called now...=L

veel = much (Het verandert niet, net zoals 'viel' in het Duits eigenlijk!)
heel veel = many (denk ik :tongue:)

Blijf oefenen he!
Ich habe (auf Moment?) nicht genug Mifi zu Hause, um SecretDucks videos sehen zu können! :frown: :frown:
Ik maak ook nog steeds een paar fouten hoor!
You're still waaay too advanced for someone who doesn't live in Holland aka The Kingdom of the Netherlands or whatever it's called now...=L

veel = much (Het verandert niet, net zoals 'viel' in het Duits eigenlijk!)
heel veel = many (denk ik :tongue:)

Blijf oefenen he!

Toch tegen?! Waarom voeg je meer woorden bij? ;( wat bedoelen zij? :frown:
Apparently, in French one actually says 'riz aux légumes et au curry' selon l'Internet. :s And the word order doesn't look wrong, but I am but a lowly A Level student. :wink:
That makes no sense. :hmmm:It's vegetable curry with a side of rice. The rice shouldn't go first!

*realises she is an Englishwoman arguing with the French about food*

*shuts up*

I thought that word said...oh nvm :lol:

Octopus: using overly long words since 1992.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ich habe (auf Moment?) nicht genug Mifi zu Hause, um SecretDucks videos sehen zu können! :frown: :frown:

Im Moment :smile: wat is het in het Nederlands?
Original post by Octopus_Garden
That makes no sense. :hmmm:It's vegetable curry with a side of rice. The rice shouldn't go first!

*realises she is an Englishwoman arguing with the French about food*

*shuts up*

The rice is often on the bottom, so that may be it...? :s I don't like French prepositions :wink:
Toch tegen?! Waarom voeg je er meer woorden bij? ;( En wat betekenen ze? :frown:

It's fun...I'm carefully turning you into a Dutch person :tongue:

toch = 'doch' vielleicht, aber das weiss ich nicht sicher!!
tegen = 'gegen' very strange indeed, I know :tongue: But in Dutch you talk "against" someone!

bedoelen & betekenen are two different types of "to mean" :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm gonna admit it.

I can't deal with it anymore.

I can't speak any languages :cry2: I've been using google translate for everything :frown:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm gonna admit it.

I can't speak any languages :cry2: I've been using google translate for everything :frown:
4/10 for trolling.
It's fun...I'm carefully turning you into a Dutch person :tongue:

toch = 'doch' vielleicht, aber das weiss ich nicht sicher!!
tegen = 'gegen' very strange indeed, I know :tongue: But in Dutch you talk "against" someone!

bedoelen & betekenen are two different types of "to mean" :lol:

Ik weet dat toch doch is... Maar is 'tegen' nodig?

Bedoelen = I meant to kiss his mother not his father!
Betekenen = It meant my boyfriend dumped me

????
(edited 10 years ago)
Im Moment :smile: wat is het in het Nederlands?

dankjewel, schat!
"op het ogenblik"
"on the eye-look?" lolol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octopus_Garden
4/10 for trolling.

:rofl: how would you know though?:holmes:
I wanna speak another language! waaaaa :cry:

That website you put up in the initial post op is great, thank you
Original post by Forget that
I wanna speak another language! waaaaa :cry:

That website you put up in the initial post op is great, thank you

Which one?:smile:

About.com?

That's a great one
Which one?:smile:

About.com?

That's a great one

No no, its the Spanish link. Ive subscribed to about.com for geography i think, didnt like it :tongue: for languages it must be better :smile:

how many languages do you speak, or is it GT for real? If so, then you've certainly had more luck with it than me!
Ik weet dat toch doch is... Maar is 'tegen' nodig?

Bedoelen = I meant to kiss his mother not his father!
Betekenen = It meant my boyfriend dumped me

????

Jawel hoor! Het is nodig, anders klink het zo raar! :mmm:

bedoelen: "Ik had de bedoeling zijn moeder te kussen, niet zijn vader!" (like intention) :yep:
Now "betekenen" is more like definition of / meaning of
"Wat zou het betekenen, als jij drie nachten achter elkaar in mijn droom voor zou komen"
rough translation...:tongue:
"What would it mean if you would appear in my dream for three consecutive nights"

You're still confused, aren't you? It's not the easiest quirk of the language...Maak je geen zorgen! :biggrin:
I'm gonna admit it.

:lol: Nice one, Fish :wink:
Original post by Forget that
No no, its the Spanish link. Ive subscribed to about.com for geography i think, didnt like it :tongue: for languages it must be better :smile:

how many languages do you speak, or is it GT for real? If so, then you've certainly had more luck with it than me!

Aah, Spanish one is good for starting off :smile:

Certainly recommendable for languages :yep:

I speak English only... Varying degrees of French, Spanish, Italian, Welsh, German (non existent atm)... Dabbled in Russian, Swahili and then Arabic I can read and Bengali I speak:biggrin:

:lol: Nice one, Fish :wink:

I'm sorry guys:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending