The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by trichoderma69
Hey guys, does anyone have any advice for the prose 25 markers? For the verse, I found it much easier to give a thematic response with loads of stylistic points supporting it - but for the Sallust I'm kind of confused about how I should approach it. Any advice is really appreciated, and really good luck to you all on Monday! It's nearly over :wink:

Sorry I'm doing Tacitus, so I can't give any examples... But I think it's more about content with the prose than anything else! A good way of backing the content up is by looking at word order (verbs at the beginning of a sentence etc..) or sentence length, to emphasise what the author is trying to say. I'm sure you've heard all this before though, this is just what I'm going to do come Monday :frown: I hate this exam!
Reply 201
Original post by joereed
Yer the fire seems to have a lot to talk about, questions like 'how does Tacitus portray Nero' or along those lines. Im struggling on chapters 20-23, as they seems to have no relevance and I don't really know whats going on!

Yeah they're so pointless! Praying they don't come up, I don't like this Thraseus Paetus guy.. :frown:
Reply 202
Original post by tatters
Yeah they're so pointless! Praying they don't come up, I don't like this Thraseus Paetus guy.. :frown:

His speech doesn't ake sense, no idea what the guy is on about!! Something on Tigellinus and his banquets would be brilliant. The part about the Christians is really interesting It was kind of awkward because my Latin teacher is a devout Christian, but having one of the few non religious references to Pontius Pilate was fascinating.
Reply 203
Original post by joereed
His speech doesn't ake sense, no idea what the guy is on about!! Something on Tigellinus and his banquets would be brilliant. The part about the Christians is really interesting It was kind of awkward because my Latin teacher is a devout Christian, but having one of the few non religious references to Pontius Pilate was fascinating.

I agree. Or Tacitus subtly accusing Nero for everything, and Nero rebuilding Rome.. Our teacher is obsessed with Nero so that's the topic I'm really good on haha! What did you get at AS and what are you hoping for overall?
Reply 204
I got a C but very close to a B and I retook the AS language, so at the moment I should b averaging a B, and the Verse wasn't too bad. Just need this Prose to go well...don't have much hope! How about you?
Reply 205
Original post by tatters
I agree. Or Tacitus subtly accusing Nero for everything, and Nero rebuilding Rome.. Our teacher is obsessed with Nero so that's the topic I'm really good on haha! What did you get at AS and what are you hoping for overall?

I got a C but very close to a B and I retook the AS language, so at the moment I should b averaging a B, and the Verse wasn't too bad. Just need this Prose to go well...don't have much hope! How about you?
Reply 206
Original post by joereed

I got an A.. no idea how! Resat the language too because I'm finding A2 so difficult.. :frown: so hopefully I can just maintain my A in the end! Just as a side note, how many people take Latin at your school? I find it really interesting how many people are sitting these exams! :smile:
Reply 207
Original post by tatters
I got an A.. no idea how! Resat the language too because I'm finding A2 so difficult.. :frown: so hopefully I can just maintain my A in the end! Just as a side note, how many people take Latin at your school? I find it really interesting how many people are sitting these exams! :smile:

That's really good! Weve got 5 in our class, 2 dropped it last year, how many do you have? Not many people do it nationally do they?
Reply 208
Original post by joereed
That's really good! Weve got 5 in our class, 2 dropped it last year, how many do you have? Not many people do it nationally do they?

We only have 3. No I think it's definitely one of the least studied subjects.. apart from maybe Ancient Greek :P
Reply 209
Original post by trichoderma69
Hey guys, does anyone have any advice for the prose 25 markers? For the verse, I found it much easier to give a thematic response with loads of stylistic points supporting it - but for the Sallust I'm kind of confused about how I should approach it. Any advice is really appreciated, and really good luck to you all on Monday! It's nearly over :wink:

I think with the sallust, it is just picking up small stylistic features and then relating them in any way possible to the question content-wise.

Like "sallust uses lots of historic infinities and they add pace to the passage - this makes the action seem exciting and full of suspense" or something? Or like "the chiasmus draws special attention to these words, and thus he emphasises Catiline's negative character" :smile: and just do that for the whole passage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 210
*infinitives. Think it's past my bedtime now haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by tatters
We only have 3. No I think it's definitely one of the least studied subjects.. apart from maybe Ancient Greek :P

We've got 9 people in our class. Only two poor souls doing Ancient Greek :P one of them does Latin too... Can't imagine having unseen Latin and unseen Greek verse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 212
Original post by nikkinak
We've got 9 people in our class. Only two poor souls doing Ancient Greek :P one of them does Latin too... Can't imagine having unseen Latin and unseen Greek verse!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah that would be a nightmare!! How are you feeling for Monday? I should really go to bed but that means I have to get up tomorrow and do revision.. :frown:
Reply 213
Original post by tatters
Aaah that would be a nightmare!! How are you feeling for Monday? I should really go to bed but that means I have to get up tomorrow and do revision.. :frown:

Exactly!! I did Greek for GCSE but no way in hell would I do it for A-Level... Ah strangely quite calm about it? I was a lot more worried about the verse paper to be honest. And I love doing the prose composition! How about you?

Yeah gotta learn some lit crit analysis tomorrow :O kill me now.

Posted from TSR Mobiley
Original post by tatters
Normally that would make me feel better, but this is just going too far! I'm finding it so difficult to motivate myself :frown:

So glad I'm not the only one feeling like this! I've been drinking an unhealthy amount of caffeinated drinks to keep myself going - it's so tough.
Original post by tatters

Hahahah I do Ancient Greek aswell and I'm the only one who does it in my school :biggrin: keen Classicist.
I do both Ancient Greek and Latin too, and the unseen verses were both testing :P

How many people go to a state school or a private school? I think it's interesting to see what the divide is like for a subject which has seemingly become the preserve of the independent sector. Personally I go to a state school.
Reply 217
Original post by nikkinak
Exactly!! I did Greek for GCSE but no way in hell would I do it for A-Level... Ah strangely quite calm about it? I was a lot more worried about the verse paper to be honest. And I love doing the prose composition! How about you?

Yeah gotta learn some lit crit analysis tomorrow :O kill me now.

Posted from TSR Mobiley

Sorry I caved and went to bed :P yeah to be honest I'm actually looking forward to prose composition, I find it really satisfying and logical.. Not looking forward to the set text at all though, I barely understand what's happening. :frown:
Reply 218
Original post by LuxVeritatis
I do both Ancient Greek and Latin too, and the unseen verses were both testing :P

How many people go to a state school or a private school? I think it's interesting to see what the divide is like for a subject which has seemingly become the preserve of the independent sector. Personally I go to a state school.

I go to a boarding school.. therefore private :s-smilie: please don't judge me!
Reply 219
Original post by LuxVeritatis

State school :smile: Latin has a long tradition in our school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending