The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by LuxVeritatis
I do both Ancient Greek and Latin too, and the unseen verses were both testing :P

How many people go to a state school or a private school? I think it's interesting to see what the divide is like for a subject which has seemingly become the preserve of the independent sector. Personally I go to a state school.

Go to a state school and did go to a private school. There are only 4 of us who do it, and the college started especially for us!
Reply 221
This is the problem with having passages here and there fro a classical text. You just don't know whats going on!!! Arghhhhh why on earth do we even need to know about Claudius Timarchus!!! or Thrasea Paetus!!! It doesn't make sense!
Reply 222
Original post by joereed
This is the problem with having passages here and there fro a classical text. You just don't know whats going on!!! Arghhhhh why on earth do we even need to know about Claudius Timarchus!!! or Thrasea Paetus!!! It doesn't make sense!

Our teacher told us he was called paetus thrasea?! Is it actually the other way around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by skyblue5
Our teacher told us he was called paetus thrasea?! Is it actually the other way around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

His name is Thrasea Paetus, I think, but it is reversed in Tacitus for variety and style, similar to the use in the works of Cicero.
Reply 224
Right Latinists, I had a chat to my teacher about the pointless bits in the Tacitus and he said that Paetus was a really well known and respected senator, and so Tacitus talks about him to back up his kind of 'problems' with Nero.. basically Tacitus and Paetus are buddies that just bitch about Nero. :smile:
Reply 225
Original post by tatters
Right Latinists, I had a chat to my teacher about the pointless bits in the Tacitus and he said that Paetus was a really well known and respected senator, and so Tacitus talks about him to back up his kind of 'problems' with Nero.. basically Tacitus and Paetus are buddies that just bitch about Nero. :smile:

That's quite helpful actually thanks :smile: His speech just doesn't make sense though, as in what relevance has it to anything? I get now that he is bitching about Nero, but in a roundabout way of doing it!
Reply 226
Original post by joereed
That's quite helpful actually thanks :smile: His speech just doesn't make sense though, as in what relevance has it to anything? I get now that he is bitching about Nero, but in a roundabout way of doing it!

I agree the speech itself doesn't make sense, but at least we know now why it's in there at all!
Reply 227
Original post by tatters
I agree the speech itself doesn't make sense, but at least we know now why it's in there at all!

Going on about all this Tacitus, I've done practically no language work!
Reply 228
Original post by joereed
Going on about all this Tacitus, I've done practically no language work!

:frown: I've spent the last hour doing prose composition but no Tacitus yet! Aaah starting to get more and more nervous about this exam
Reply 229
Original post by LuxVeritatis
I do both Ancient Greek and Latin too, and the unseen verses were both testing :P

How many people go to a state school or a private school? I think it's interesting to see what the divide is like for a subject which has seemingly become the preserve of the independent sector. Personally I go to a state school.

Ah poor you.. Unseen Greek must be awful :P GCSE prepared was bad enough haha. Private school but not many people do A-Level Latin so we have joint lessons with the guy's grammar school on campus.

Original post by tatters
Sorry I caved and went to bed :P yeah to be honest I'm actually looking forward to prose composition, I find it really satisfying and logical.. Not looking forward to the set text at all though, I barely understand what's happening. :frown:

Haha yeah as long as there isn't some crap like conditionals in indirect speech... Have you tried the prose comp specimen passage? It's rubbish, so short, could barely get any style in :/ aww you're doing Tacitus, right? :frown: Sallust is ok for us, just him yakking on about a conspiracy haha.
Reply 230
Original post by tatters
:frown: I've spent the last hour doing prose composition but no Tacitus yet! Aaah starting to get more and more nervous about this exam

Is prose composition hard? I have almost given up on Latin, feels like nothing is sinking in!
Reply 231
Original post by ohmygosh
Could anybody give me some bullet points about what is most important to keep in mind/learn for Sallust's Bellum Catilinae? What are the examiners really looking for, and does anyone have any predictions about which sections may come up/possible questions? Thanks, this exam is worrying me so much:smile:

Had a chat with other people and the second question surely should be about Catiline's character and how he's presented? Since it is the first year this author has been set...

And I'm thinking maybe how he makes a certain part vivid or the speech persuasive :smile: I'm going to look over those tomorrow, I think.
Reply 232
Original post by joereed
Is prose composition hard? I have almost given up on Latin, feels like nothing is sinking in!

I think it's very personal, I find it quite nice because I think it's logical and I enjoy making everything fit.. haha I sound like such a nerd! I suppose that's what happens when you take Latin a-level though.. :P the only difficult thing is remembering how to conjugate and decline EVERYTHING :frown:
Reply 233
Original post by nikkinak
Haha yeah as long as there isn't some crap like conditionals in indirect speech... Have you tried the prose comp specimen passage? It's rubbish, so short, could barely get any style in :/ aww you're doing Tacitus, right? :frown: Sallust is ok for us, just him yakking on about a conspiracy haha.

No we've been doing passages from a prose composition book by North & Hillard? It's quite good because they're a bit harder than what the exam will be :smile:
Reply 234
Original post by tatters
No we've been doing passages from a prose composition book by North & Hillard? It's quite good because they're a bit harder than what the exam will be :smile:

Oh right, I've heard that's an awesome prose comp book! That's really good then, our teacher has just been giving us lots of past paper passages to do, they seem alright actually :smile: I'm not sure what sort of vocab to learn though?
Reply 235
Oh right, I've heard that's an awesome prose comp book! That's really good then, our teacher has just been giving us lots of past paper passages to do, they seem alright actually :smile: I'm not sure what sort of vocab to learn though?

I have a few lists from my book if you want me to link them to you? :smile:
Had a chat with other people and the second question surely should be about Catiline's character and how he's presented? Since it is the first year this author has been set...

Not necessarily, as there's no general question for the prose; it's two specifics- could be anything :s-smilie:
Reply 237
Original post by tatters
I have a few lists from my book if you want me to link them to you? :smile:

That would be awesome if you could do so? :biggrin:

Original post by emma2013
Not necessarily, as there's no general question for the prose; it's two specifics- could be anything :s-smilie:

I guess yeah but I think the really obvious choice has to be to do with Catiline's character - he's the main focus of the passages and Sallust makes it incredibly clear how bad he is. It's like with the verse, the really obvious second question would've been about Dido, since Book 4 is about her really. Except here they'd use a passage. I don't know, I just have a feeling... there are a good few passages that illustrate his character etc? I could see a question saying "explore how Sallust conveys Catiline's negative character here" :P
Reply 238
Reply 239

Ah it asks me to sign into Outlook :/ don't worry about it, it's ok :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending