The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Brister
How do you figure out the direction for friction? Sorry if you explained it already, but it is hard to read your attachments.

Sorry about the poor quality. The direction of the friction is always in the opposite direction to where the object would move if there were none. So as the system would just fall down without the friction, friction acts upwards on the top ball and downward (and to the right/left for the left/right ball respectively) for the bottom ones. Always perpendicular to the normal reaction, of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by jack.hadamard
I had to practice some drawing on a software, so enjoy.

Question 4

Preliminary stuff

Spoiler

First part

Spoiler

Second part (a)

Spoiler

Second part (b)

Spoiler

for the prelim stuff why not simply use the sum of the roots and then half it for the x coordinate of M?

In part (ii)(a) the point (a,0) in NOT included!!

In part (ii) (b) the point (0,-1) is not included
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mikelbird

for the prelim stuff why not simply use the sum of the roots and then half it for the x coordinate of M?

Because STEP II is based on A-level Maths content.

In part (ii)(a) the point (a,0) in NOT included!!

You are right. I forgot to mention it.

In part (ii) (b) the point (0,-1) is not included

I didn't claim it was included.
Reply 23

Playing around with the roots of quadratic equations IS part of A level!
Original post by DJMayes
Q7 STEP II

Part i):

Spoiler

Part ii):

Spoiler

Part iii):

Spoiler

I think part I is incomplete and the solution could be used in part III :tongue:
Nobody is writing up a solution for step II Q1?
Reply 26
Original post by mathsymathsy
Nobody is writing up a solution for step II Q1?

OK...If you want one....
Reply 27

Playing around with the roots of quadratic equations IS part of A level!

And it is in the Step specification!!
And it is in the Step specification!!

For STEP III I would imagine, it is in FP1 on OCR.
OK...If you want one....

Step II is complete now :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by metaltron
For STEP III I would imagine, it is in FP1 on OCR.

no..for Step 2...it talks about a cubic and knowing that the constant is the product of the roots....but yes you are right about OCR!
no..for Step 2...it talks about a cubic and knowing that the constant is the product of the roots....but yes you are right about OCR!

What's this rant about? If you don't like the quadratic formula, then don't use it. The specification of STEP I and II is the same and, in particular, you are not required to know the Viète formulae. The example you gave is likely to instead emphasise identities and comparing coefficients. I tried to produce a solution that resembles official solutions, which I recall use the formula.
Reply 32
Oh dear...this was never meaning to be a rant. All I wanted to point out is a quick and easy ( and something well within the capabilities of a good A level student) method of getting a result. The fact that I pointed out the fact seems to have enraged you.. I apologise profusely but still believe that it was a better method... You don't have to. Let's leave it there.
The fact that I pointed out the fact seems to have enraged you.. I apologise profusely but still believe that it was a better method...

I apologise then. :smile: It is a better method -- there is no question about that. It didn't 'enrage' me, I just didn't see a reason why you would ask.
I think part I is incomplete and the solution could be used in part III :tongue:

Damn. When I did the question I missed the "hence find". However, I had x as 3 and y=2 as my first solution, so would this likely lose marks?
Reply 35

Although it is incomplete, I think they won't give u the credit for writing down the solution for x^2-2y^2=1...in the previous year there was one question asking you to write down the cube from 1 to 10...the report said no mark is given.
Reply 36
Original post by DJMayes
Damn. When I did the question I missed the "hence find". However, I had x as 3 and y=2 as my first solution, so would this likely lose marks?

I missed the writing down part...and used nonsense logic to argue ii)...throw away easy marks sigh...
Reply 37
Original post by cpdavis
Question 5:
To see when f(x)>34336f(x)>\frac{343}{36}, we use our diagram as an aid and you see that x<2,12<x<13,23<x<32,x>3x<-2, -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{3}, \frac{2}{3}<x<\frac{3}{2}, x>3

You are forgetting to adjust your ranges such that they do not include the values for which f(x)f(x) is undefined :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by DJMayes

Ouch. Perhaps. No more than 1 or 2, though, provided the rest of the question is good. Because, if that's all good, then the last part is just trivial experimentation.
Meh, no issues. From what I see, I reckon you can still gun for a near-perfect score.
Reply 39
Original post by Jkn
You are forgetting to adjust your ranges such that they do not include the values for which f(x)f(x) is undefined :tongue:

Why yes, I knew I forgot something :tongue: will update solution later today in addition to the original OP. and will also stick in a sketch too :h:

also, did someone do a complete solution to Q3? I've not had a chance to look at solutions as I'm finishing off my work for supervisor :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending