The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just got 91 in the 2012 paper :biggrin:.

At least it went better than the 2012 STEP I paper I did today :redface:.
Original post by brittanna
Just got 91 in the 2012 paper :biggrin:.

At least it went better than the 2012 STEP I paper I did today :redface:.

I'm just about to try that one out now and congratulations on such a great score! :biggrin:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm just about to try that one out now and congratulations on such a great score! :biggrin:

Although, the question where I would have usually lost the most marks (the vectors one) I had seen before :colondollar:. I may have also been a bit too generous on those seven marks at the end (I gave myself 5/7). Good luck!

And you did a lot better than me in the 2012 STEP I paper :lol:. I managed to get one full solution (and a few partials). :cool:.
Although, the question where I would have usually lost the most marks (the vectors one) I had seen before :colondollar:. I may have also been a bit too generous on those seven marks at the end (I gave myself 5/7). Good luck!

And you did a lot better than me in the 2012 STEP I paper :lol:. I managed to get one full solution (and a few partials). :cool:.

I just hate vectors and series so very much! Stupid questions but so far the rest seems pretty simple, I've only been going at it for 40 minutes and I'm already on question 5 but instead of working out the vectors question I seem to have just got an answer to a STEP question when it wants you to show the angle between 3 vertices on a cube is arcos(1/sqrt3) :colondollar:
Reply 64
Anyone here worried about the possibility of not even passing? Quite a large amount of people seem to each year and it's got me feeling nervous now lol
I just hate vectors and series so very much! Stupid questions but so far the rest seems pretty simple, I've only been going at it for 40 minutes and I'm already on question 5 but instead of working out the vectors question I seem to have just got an answer to a STEP question when it wants you to show the angle between 3 vertices on a cube is arcos(1/sqrt3) :colondollar:

I know! I think it took me about an hour and ten minutes to get to the last question, and then I was finished half an hour later so the actual paper took me about an hour and 45 minutes to finish. You know what they say, when you can't answer a vectors question go and answer a more difficult one :lol:.

I got the last part of question 1 wrong when I did it :colonhash:.
I know! I think it took me about an hour and ten minutes to get to the last question, and then I was finished half an hour later so the actual paper took me about an hour and 45 minutes to finish. You know what they say, when you can't answer a vectors question go and answer a more difficult one :lol:.

I got the last part of question 1 wrong when I did it :colonhash:.

Very nice that's pretty quick! And I've abandoned it to complete more STEP questions as I'll not be able to get in with just AEA now so STEP is my chance of getting in :redface: I just did a lovely DE in 20 minutes and I really do hope we get one on Tuesday as they're just a full solution for me straightaway really :tongue: I'd also love a nice integration by parts or substitution question and a good calculus one with an easy trigonometry one and I'd be set to get the 1 :tongue: Well at least you didn't get the more challenging parts wrong :biggrin:
Very nice that's pretty quick! And I've abandoned it to complete more STEP questions as I'll not be able to get in with just AEA now so STEP is my chance of getting in :redface: I just did a lovely DE in 20 minutes and I really do hope we get one on Tuesday as they're just a full solution for me straightaway really :tongue: I'd also love a nice integration by parts or substitution question and a good calculus one with an easy trigonometry one and I'd be set to get the 1 :tongue: Well at least you didn't get the more challenging parts wrong :biggrin:

Yeah, i'd love a differential equations question (like the one in the 2012 paper, or maybe slightly more difficult). An integration question (preferably mainly substitution rather than by parts), a trigonometry question (although not like the one in the June 2012 paper) and maybe another calculus question. I wouldn't mind if some kind of graph sketching question came up either. The ones I don't want to come up are anything geometry related, a binomial expansion question (I never seem to manage to get these right) or any kind of 'counting' question.
Yeah, i'd love a differential equations question (like the one in the 2012 paper, or maybe slightly more difficult). An integration question (preferably mainly substitution rather than by parts), a trigonometry question (although not like the one in the June 2012 paper) and maybe another calculus question. I wouldn't mind if some kind of graph sketching question came up either. The ones I don't want to come up are anything geometry related, a binomial expansion question (I never seem to manage to get these right) or any kind of 'counting' question.

I'd have to agree with you there as I'd believe too many people would be able to get a DE like 2012 so will bring up the boundaries, which I'd rather not like as it'll be harder to get the required grade :redface: I also agree with your suggestions but I'd enjoy a good binomial expansion one that had an approximation to it as well but I'd rather not have any series or vectors or wordy questions, I will be checking out the Mechanics section for any gifts as I'll start with those this time instead of leaving it until the end and running out of time :redface: Although I must say I'd rather not have a sketching question unless its not too involved but I can't be dealing with all those circle theorems really :tongue:
Reply 69
Quick Q, is AEA always taken in June? Considering doing it next yr to meet a potential Warwick offer along with STEP for Cambridge/other Warwick offer
Original post by Robbie242
Quick Q, is AEA always taken in June? Considering doing it next yr to meet a potential Warwick offer along with STEP for Cambridge/other Warwick offer

Yeah it's always at the end of the year basically, its just unfortunate that this year STEP I and AEA were both on the same day :redface:
I'd have to agree with you there as I'd believe too many people would be able to get a DE like 2012 so will bring up the boundaries, which I'd rather not like as it'll be harder to get the required grade :redface: I also agree with your suggestions but I'd enjoy a good binomial expansion one that had an approximation to it as well but I'd rather not have any series or vectors or wordy questions, I will be checking out the Mechanics section for any gifts as I'll start with those this time instead of leaving it until the end and running out of time :redface: Although I must say I'd rather not have a sketching question unless its not too involved but I can't be dealing with all those circle theorems really :tongue:

With the binomial ones, I can usually get the right substitution, it's just I can never get to the given answer due to making mistakes when dividing etc. and so I never know how many marks I'm going to lose. Anything where I have to think about shapes I am just going to ignore. Even more so with loci. I don't think I've ever read a STEP question in full that had the word loci in it :lol:.
Reply 72
Yeah it's always at the end of the year basically, its just unfortunate that this year STEP I and AEA were both on the same day :redface:

Ah thank you, and yeah that does suck D:. If I get rejected from Cambridge its likely that I'd do STEP I instead of STEP II and III along with AEA, so fingers crossed no more future clashes. Best of luck on Tuesday :biggrin:
With the binomial ones, I can usually get the right substitution, it's just I can never get to the given answer due to making mistakes when dividing etc. and so I never know how many marks I'm going to lose. Anything where I have to think about shapes I am just going to ignore. Even more so with loci. I don't think I've ever read a STEP question in full that had the word loci in it :lol:.

That's fair enough and I don't think I've ever read a STEP question in full period, just look for the main parts and ignore the rest but it's worked up to now :colondollar:
Ah thank you, and yeah that does suck D:. If I get rejected from Cambridge its likely that I'd do STEP I instead of STEP II and III along with AEA, so fingers crossed no more future clashes. Best of luck on Tuesday :biggrin:

It'll be awesome as I'm doing hardcore Maths for 6 hours! :biggrin: And if you've applied to Warwick and want to go there then why not try STEP I, STEP II and AEA for all the possible chances? :tongue:
Reply 75
It'll be awesome as I'm doing hardcore Maths for 6 hours! :biggrin: And if you've applied to Warwick and want to go there then why not try STEP I, STEP II and AEA for all the possible chances? :tongue:

haha :colone: Remain hydrated and then you'll smash all the questions :cool:. I think I'll probably do that actually ahah, so many back up options :O, could even do STEP III as well if I was daring but I wouldn't dare :tongue:. I'll see where I am after my AS results :biggrin:.

Starting to tackle STEP problems now though, can already attempt a few AEA questions which is quite interesting :tongue:
haha :colone: Remain hydrated and then you'll smash all the questions :cool:. I think I'll probably do that actually ahah, so many back up options :O, could even do STEP III as well if I was daring but I wouldn't dare :tongue:. I'll see where I am after my AS results :biggrin:.

Starting to tackle STEP problems now though, can already attempt a few AEA questions which is quite interesting :tongue:

Oh I'm taking in a good litre bottle for each exam :tongue: And yeah its always good to keep your options open but the workload is quite intense, especially in my situation I've hardly done any AEA practice so I'll see how that one goes and I'll be ecstatic if I can get 4 full answers :biggrin: And I'm sure you've smashed your AS's! I wish I was in your position at that time but my school didn't teach me anything else so my knowledge was pretty limited and I never even knew about STEP or AEA before last October :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Oh I'm taking in a good litre bottle for each exam :tongue: And yeah its always good to keep your options open but the workload is quite intense, especially in my situation I've hardly done any AEA practice so I'll see how that one goes and I'll be ecstatic if I can get 4 full answers :biggrin: And I'm sure you've smashed your AS's! I wish I was in your position at that time but my school didn't teach me anything else so my knowledge was pretty limited and I never even knew about STEP or AEA before last October :colondollar:

Good :biggrin:. Yeah this year has being quite intense and I suppose the next will be more intense (though no history :colone: ). I'm sure you will, you've definitely worked harder than others :smile:.

The thing is my school is exactly the same, they haven't mentioned STEP or AEA or anything, I had to find out myself (thnx TSR). Teachers definitely need to see which students want to do mathematics or something and inform them of all options available, not for the student to find out later :rolleyes:
Good :biggrin:. Yeah this year has being quite intense and I suppose the next will be more intense (though no history :colone: ). I'm sure you will, you've definitely worked harder than others :smile:.

The thing is my school is exactly the same, they haven't mentioned STEP or AEA or anything, I had to find out myself (thnx TSR). Teachers definitely need to see which students want to do mathematics or something and inform them of all options available, not for the student to find out later :rolleyes:

Oh if only I was as motivated as you in my first year but I had the mindset that getting an A was all that was needed so I could drop about 10 marks and not care about it as I'd still have my A, this year I've aimed for the 100's and I think I'll only be getting 2 now when I could've and should've gotten 4 :redface: Oh well though cause as long as I get into Warwick then that's all that matters :biggrin: And my school only told the student who was applying to Cambridge but no other Maths applicants even though I'm the only other one so I found it all out myself and prepared myself and just got on with it, I'm not a better mathematician than he is as I've been able to expand my approach towards questions whereas his is still rather rigid so I've gained a lot from all the STEP practice :tongue:
Reply 79
Oh if only I was as motivated as you in my first year but I had the mindset that getting an A was all that was needed so I could drop about 10 marks and not care about it as I'd still have my A, this year I've aimed for the 100's and I think I'll only be getting 2 now when I could've and should've gotten 4 :redface: Oh well though cause as long as I get into Warwick then that's all that matters :biggrin: And my school only told the student who was applying to Cambridge but no other Maths applicants even though I'm the only other one so I found it all out myself and prepared myself and just got on with it, I'm not a better mathematician than he is as I've been able to expand my approach towards questions whereas his is still rather rigid so I've gained a lot from all the STEP practice :tongue:

:redface: it was by luck that I was motivated ahah, I don't know if I'd have the motivation if they didn't make an exception for alevel maths after my GCSE grade, so I was partially lucky to be motivated earlier, and started looking at Cambridge about October and felt the requirements were impossible, contemplated giving up after January results but kept pushing onwards and it seems to have worked.

Still very impressive, I will only have 1 exam with 100 this yr (C2), FP1 was a very close 99ums though (I think) >_<.

Yeah definitely, I visited Warwick and the facilities and societies available are crazy :O I was so impressed by the uni, so I'd definitely firm it if rejected from Cambridge, their maths lecture halls were also massive and I enjoyed the open day loads because it rested all my fears of being in the middle of nowhere, though I was stuck in a heap of M25 traffic today (Yawn). So I bet you'll definitely enjoy Warwick if you get in :wink:.

Ah interesting, finding different ways and more intuitive non-formulaic ways to tackle problems is honestly the best way, I have done this throughout alevel with many different methods to the textbook for subjects like resolving forces, moments, induction etc so it definitely helps when a question has you stuck dead on 1 method out of many that is essential to prove something.

Hopefully I don't slam into a brick wall with STEP, I can do 1 induction question though so that's a start :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending