The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to a Warwick Open Day tomorrow ? :smile:
Reply 141
Original post by Fas
Anyone going to a Warwick Open Day tomorrow ? :smile:

or liverpool/manchester
those who went to Warwick Open Day today - how'd you find it ?
Original post by Fas

I went today and surprised myself, I actually really liked it!

It was weird coming from a big city to a secluded campus but it was much nicer than I expected it to be. PPE (and Economics for that matter) seem really good too.

How did you find it?
Original post by thisisjokes
I went today and surprised myself, I actually really liked it!

It was weird coming from a big city to a secluded campus but it was much nicer than I expected it to be. PPE (and Economics for that matter) seem really good too.

How did you find it?

Unfortunately i couldnt attend. How does the economics course seem compared to other unis? Pros and cons of the uni/campus? Any other info?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas

I went and I liked everything about the course and department, but I wasn't a big fan of the location of the campus and seeming lack of social life there...

On the whole I liked it, but I don't think I'll apply just because I don't want to apply to too many highly competitive universities and I already prefer Cambridge and Durham
Doesnt the durham course have less maths modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiirankapoor
Doesnt the durham course have less maths modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it have maths at all? :confused: i'm pretty sure it's a BA with no maths, which puts me off applying there.

I'm looking at Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, York, Nottigham. There's 6 there but I was hoping to attend open days to get a better idea but I've missed all of the summer ones since I can't drive or have someone drive me. :frown: They're too far to travel by myself.

And bristol + bath's September open days clash. Great position I've put myself in. :mad:
Original post by NedStark
Does it have maths at all? :confused: i'm pretty sure it's a BA with no maths, which puts me off applying there.

I'm looking at Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, York, Nottigham. There's 6 there but I was hoping to attend open days to get a better idea but I've missed all of the summer ones since I can't drive or have someone drive me. :frown: They're too far to travel by myself.

And bristol + bath's September open days clash. Great position I've put myself in. :mad:

Ahh thanks ffor clearing that up. Yea ive missed warwick and ucl open day. Wont be able to attend bristols one. Hoping to go to cambridge,lse and nottinghams opendays. By the way do you know what the average offers are for york and bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what universities offer economics at AAA? Most I've seen are A*AA.
Original post by Anonymous1717
Does anyone know what universities offer economics at AAA? Most I've seen are A*AA.

All the unis i want to apply for offer A*AA :frown: i think nottingham has offers between A*AA and AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous1717

York and Birmingham

Pretty sure there is Maths involved (could be less than others such as Warwick though).

More info here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/business/degrees/undergrad/economics/course-content/economicsl100/
im hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*A at A2. Currently looking at Cambridge, Leeds, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Manchester. But if i get a big disappointment on results day then that list will defo be amended.
Original post by kiirankapoor
Ahh thanks ffor clearing that up. Yea ive missed warwick and ucl open day. Wont be able to attend bristols one. Hoping to go to cambridge,lse and nottinghams opendays. By the way do you know what the average offers are for york and bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Offers for York are AAA but AAB if Maths A-Level offered and Bath is A*AA. Both great in my opinion. York looks like a nice, small town Uni while Bath I've heard has a great placement year.
Original post by robin1125
Pretty sure there is Maths involved (could be less than others such as Warwick though).

More info here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/business/degrees/undergrad/economics/course-content/economicsl100/

Maybe there is but looking at the course content there isn't a single quantive module unless I'm missing it.
But then again I think I read somewhere that Durham what an A-Level in maths for there economics degrees.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was also at the Warwick open day today. I take it some of you went to the economics talk too? Didn't the professor ramble on a bit haha.
But anyway I really liked the uni and it was nice to have that 8A* GCSE rumour cleared up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe there is but looking at the course content there isn't a single quantive module unless I'm missing it.
But then again I think I read somewhere that Durham what an A-Level in maths for there economics degrees.

Yeah I'd assume a university that requires an A at Maths A-level would have a reasonable amount of maths in it.

My cousin did Philosophy and Economics at Durham a few years ago and told me that he found Further Maths A-Level useful for his degree, so I assume there is a fair bit of maths (either optional or compulsory)

Looking at the course outline, it looks as though "Economic Data Analysis" and "Economic Methods" are probably maths based, but this is only my speculation and it'd probably be best to ask on the open day or on the Durham forums
Original post by Bloxorus
I was also at the Warwick open day today. I take it some of you went to the economics talk too? Didn't the professor ramble on a bit haha.
But anyway I really liked the uni and it was nice to have that 8A* GCSE rumour cleared up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed the open day so could you explain to me what he said about this 8A* rumour?

Original post by robin1125

Looking at the course outline, it looks as though "Economic Data Analysis" and "Economic Methods" are probably maths based, but this is only my speculation and it'd probably be best to ask on the open day or on the Durham forums

You got a point there, they do sound quite mathsy.
(edited 10 years ago)
I missed the open day so could you explain to me what he said about this 8A* rumour?

You got a point there, they do sound quite mathsy.

Well basically I've heard quite a lot on tsr about Warwick not looking at economics applications without 8A* at GCSE and I'm sure most people have as well.
Someone asked whether they even look at no. of A*s as they had heard you need a certain number to get in and he said that's absolute rubbish and they only take GCSE results as a last resort factor and they read through every single application anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending