The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346372/Woman-oust-Churchill-new-5-note-feminists-say-time-change.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically Churchill has been chosen to replaces Elizabeth Fry in the £5 note instead of another woman. I think it is a ridiculous thing to complain about because no woman has achieved as much as Churchill did during the war and in my opinion he is fully deserving of featuring on the £5 note. I do not believe in positive discrimination and think that people should be chosen on their merits and not because of their sexual organs. It is annoying that because of this uproar we are likely to get a woman on the £10 note when that is next changed, when their are people like Nelson who deserve national recognition.

Scroll to see replies

I agree whats the betting they want to stick Maggie Thatcher on it just to appease people that want a woman for everything.
Reply 2
Why are feminists such miserable *****?
Reply 3
Churchill should be on the £50 note.
Positive discrimination is as bad as negative. I absolutely agree that what sex the person is should play no role whatsoever in deciding who to honour on our bank notes. Honour the people who have done the most for our country, regardless of sex.
Nah I think they should have a gay black working class disabled muslim woman
(edited 10 years ago)
The good thing about these types of outrage is that they show just how far we've progressed as a society when we have women complaining about such inane ****.
Reply 7
I really wish the media wouldn't give attention to stupid things like this. It's a bank note, for crying out loud! A complete non-issue.

As the top comment says, men exist too.
Reply 8
What's the point of this movement. Seriously.
Reply 9
I don't think there's any malicious intent behind the decision, but I do think it rather questionable that there apparently isn't one woman deemed worthy enough to feature on a bank note (apart from the Queen, who is there by accident of birth). After all, the only reason women haven't historically been as prominent in their achievements as men is because of their historical oppression, politically and socially. Whilst these men were doing their undoubtedly great deeds, they were probably supported by the women in their lives who worked just as hard and without credit in running their households. As women do make up 50% of the population, I think it would be the least they could manage to find one to put on a bank note - and I'm sure there are plenty of great women to choose from. I don't think that's a lot to ask really.
Reply 10
There's always something to be offended about, isn't there. I'm sure it was designed as a slight to womankind everywhere and a slap in the face to the feminist brigade, rather than just a choice of an individual inspiring man to go on a banknote.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wildrover
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346372/Woman-oust-Churchill-new-5-note-feminists-say-time-change.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically Churchill has been chosen to replaces Elizabeth Fry in the £5 note instead of another woman. I think it is a ridiculous thing to complain about because no woman has achieved as much as Churchill did during the war and in my opinion he is fully deserving of featuring on the £5 note. I do not believe in positive discrimination and think that people should be chosen on their merits and not because of their sexual organs. It is annoying that because of this uproar we are likely to get a woman on the £10 note when that is next changed, when their are people like Nelson who deserve national recognition.

I agree that it's a ridiculous thing for these women to be complaining about as it is just a bank note, but I highly disagree with what you said about no woman achieving as much as Churchill.
Original post by SophieSmall
I agree that it's a ridiculous thing for these women to be complaining about as it is just a bank note, but I highly disagree with what you said about no woman achieving as much as Churchill.

Name one that did then
If it had been a more obscure man, I'd be slightly on the idea of agreeing them to an extent, but it's Churchill, no man nor woman comes close.

I guess you can remove Adam Smith, who is Scottish because Scotland thinks 'Bank of England' means English notes, so why would a non-English/Welsh person be represented on English/Welsh notes?
Original post by redpanda41
I don't think there's any malicious intent behind the decision, but I do think it rather questionable that there apparently isn't one woman deemed worthy enough to feature on a bank note (apart from the Queen, who is there by accident of birth). After all, the only reason women haven't historically been as prominent in their achievements as men is because of their historical oppression, politically and socially. Whilst these men were doing their undoubtedly great deeds, they were probably supported by the women in their lives who worked just as hard and without credit in running their households. As women do make up 50% of the population, I think it would be the least they could manage to find one to put on a bank note - and I'm sure there are plenty of great women to choose from. I don't think that's a lot to ask really.

Not really questionable when you explain the reason why that is. As gender equality increases, the banknotes will reflect that but for now we must accept that there are simply more noteworthy men than noteworthy women, for whatever reason that maybe. Can you name one women whose more worthy than Churchill or Adam Smith or Matthew Boulton/James Watt or Darwin?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by LordBradburn
Name one that did then

There probably would have been many except throughout history the majority of the male population was trying their best not to let women do anything.

(and with regards to who is on our banknotes. i really couldnt give a damn.
I spend them, not post them on my wall to stare at.)
Original post by Snagprophet
If it had been a more obscure man, I'd be slightly on the idea of agreeing them to an extent, but it's Churchill, no man nor woman comes close.

I guess you can remove Adam Smith, who is Scottish because Scotland thinks 'Bank of England' means English notes, so why would a non-English/Welsh person be represented on English/Welsh notes?

Bank of England notes are in the majority in Scotland too
Original post by kunoichi
There probably would have been many except throughout history the majority of the male population was trying their best not to let women do anything.

(and with regards to who is on our banknotes. i really couldnt give a damn.
I spend them, not post them on my wall to stare at.)

name one then
Name one that did then

In no particular order; Emmeline Pankhurst, Florence Nightingale, Rosalind Franklin etc.

Edit because I got Pankhurst mixed up with someone else with a similar first name, silly me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Bank of England notes are in the majority in Scotland too

How can they be if all cash machines give out one of the three sets all Scots expect English and Welsh people to remember what non-counterfeit ones look like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending