The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloxorus
Well basically I've heard quite a lot on tsr about Warwick not looking at economics applications without 8A* at GCSE and I'm sure most people have as well.
Someone asked whether they even look at no. of A*s as they had heard you need a certain number to get in and he said that's absolute rubbish and they only take GCSE results as a last resort factor and they read through every single application anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THIS. I was at the same lecture in the afternoon , and the professor definitely said GCSE's was more of a last resort thing rather than the first thing they look at.
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
PRSOM - What she said!

I still might have the email where the admission tutor directly told me that 7A*s was the cut off point. He said however it varies each year depending on the strength of candidates but it will always be around 7/8.

PRSOM also, but thank you, this is exactly what I'm talking about
Original post by Fas
RIGHT FOR CLAIRIFICATION. I spoke to the Warwick admissions tutor , and they said there is NO GCSE REQUIREMENT for Economics courses. even if you score "only" 1A* or 2A*'s at GCSE it is still worth applying as the Personal Statement and AS/A2 results/predictions counts for a LOT more. - that was what they told me , the bit about ' it's still worth applying ' was a direct quote from the admissions tutor.

Look, there may be no official requirement but think of it this way. Where is there likely to be the greatest variation of the things you've mentioned?
Most personal statements are quite similar (mentione done books, some stuff you did, what you're interested in (usually econometrics and/or game theory)). AS results obviously don't differ much and A2 predictions are usually A*AA-A*A*A*A* that seems like a big difference but considering some schools give out A* preds like fruit and others like cocaine it's actually not that fair. On the other hand GCSEs vary from 0-13A*s with so many combinations in between (Bs, Cs, Ds etc).
Please apply, but don't be bitter afterwards about gcses if you are reject it. Those of us who have applied are merely trying to share our experience as I know friends who believed all too readily the admissions people who told them GCSEs don't matter.
Original post by NedStark
Where did anyone say that?

People I know....
Original post by Bloxorus
This is also utter rubbish, I also went to the bath open day and there are 6 applicants per pace (as opposed to 9 at Cambridge and 14 at Oxford). He also said that you don't 'need' (although its highly recommended) to have 3 hard subjects. Apparently he's accepted people who have subjects such as PE or art as a third subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought so.
Reply 184
Does anyone know how well respected Kent, Leicester, Edinburgh and Heriot Watt are for Economics?
Original post by THeist
Does anyone know how well respected Kent, Leicester, Edinburgh and Heriot Watt are for Economics?

Edinburgh is highly respected (for everything, actually) and it's a low offer iirc :smile:
The others, no idea, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Original post by tooambitious
Edinburgh is highly respected (for everything, actually) and it's a low offer iirc :smile:
The others, no idea, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, also, do you think applying for a Russell Group Uni is vital? Even though Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc are far below the Uni's I mentioned. I've been told that employees care more for the prestigious Russell Group Uni's.
Original post by THeist
Thanks, also, do you think applying for a Russell Group Uni is vital? Even though Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc are far below the Uni's I mentioned. I've been told that employees care more for the prestigious Russell Group Uni's.

It's difficult but I would say Manchester would definitely be perceived better than those that you mentioned, bar Edinburgh.

Do you want to message me your grades and subjects so I can better advise you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
Nottingham/York/St Andrews - three highly regarded institutions offering AAA :smile:

Thanks!
Does anyone know about any public lectures coming up? :/ Can't seem to find any...
Reply 190
It's difficult but I would say Manchester would definitely be perceived better than those that you mentioned, bar Edinburgh.

Do you want to message me your grades and subjects so I can better advise you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, just sent you a private message :smile:
PRSOM also, but thank you, this is exactly what I'm talking about

Look, there may be no official requirement but think of it this way. Where is there likely to be the greatest variation of the things you've mentioned?
Most personal statements are quite similar (mentione done books, some stuff you did, what you're interested in (usually econometrics and/or game theory)). AS results obviously don't differ much and A2 predictions are usually A*AA-A*A*A*A* that seems like a big difference but considering some schools give out A* preds like fruit and others like cocaine it's actually not that fair. On the other hand GCSEs vary from 0-13A*s with so many combinations in between (Bs, Cs, Ds etc).
Please apply, but don't be bitter afterwards about gcses if you are reject it. Those of us who have applied are merely trying to share our experience as I know friends who believed all too readily the admissions people who told them GCSEs don't matter.

the really annoying thing is that your probably right haha , still not sure if i want to apply to Warwick or not - although probably not gonna waste the choice . would UCL be a better bet in that regard ?
Reply 192
Hello guys

Just needed some quick advice.

Currently a second year student study BA Hons economics and finance. In my first year my overall was a 2:1

Just last week I got my second year grades. I passed 5/6 modules but failed a 30 credit module. I am resitting in July in two weeks.

I achieved the following grades in the rest of my modules: 72%, 66%,61%, 51%, 46%.. I know quite the range. I have one more grade to go which will be caped at 40% if I pass this July. Otherwise I will need to restudy in my final year.

Can somebody work out my overall?

I am also looking to get onto an finance and investment Msc straight away after completing my undergrad degree in 2014/2015. What are my chances off getting on?

Advice is appreciated..

Thanks
Reply 193
Original post by littlemiss-sunshine
If anyone has questions about Bath's course I'm happy to help... just finished it and was at the open day last week, have heard the admissions talk far too many times so should be able to answer any questions!

I went to the Bath Open Day a few days ago (for Maths, Econ and Bio) was that you giving the placement speech? :smile:
Reply 194
For the Warwick GCSE debate I'd just like to add I got offers from Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Bristol this year (all for economics) but got rejected from Warwick with 6 A*'s at GCSE. Make what you will of that

LSE and Cambridge seem to have been doing a good job of not letting a couple of meaningless qualifications get in the way of an offer. Something Warwick need to start IMO. I have not heard of anyone getting an econ offer with less that 8 A*'s at GCSE which was due to extenuating circumstances...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by amg_22
For the Warwick GCSE debate I'd just like to add I got offers from Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Bristol this year (all for economics) but got rejected from Warwick with 6 A*'s at GCSE. Make what you will of that

LSE and Cambridge seem to have been doing a good job of not letting a couple of meaningless qualifications get in the way of an offer. Something Warwick need to start IMO. I have not heard of anyone getting an econ offer with less that 8 A*'s at GCSE which was due to extenuating circumstances...

If u dont mind me asking what offers did you get from Cambridge, UCL and LSE. I want to apply there but really scared if id get offers or not. Grades are above average but not sure about PS and interview. Also, how did u find the application process at those unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chloe_P
I went to the Bath Open Day a few days ago (for Maths, Econ and Bio) was that you giving the placement speech? :smile:

Yeah it was! I've listened to that admissions talk 8 times over the last year :/ haha
Does LSE look at UMS for straight economics or do they ever ask for it?
Original post by NedStark
Does LSE look at UMS for straight economics or do they ever ask for it?

think they do ask for UMS , although dunno how high they regard it. Plus ( this is for anyone haha ) how much value does LSE place on a Personal Statement ?
Original post by Fas
think they do ask for UMS , although dunno how high they regard it. Plus ( this is for anyone haha ) how much value does LSE place on a Personal Statement ?

Quite a lot, since a lot of applicants would be applying with similar grades, subjects, etc...

Quick Reply