The Student Room Group

What do you guys think of this programme?

My music teacher has told me that I have to produce a programme by the end of term; consisting of pieces I'll play for my A2 music performance c/w should I choose to continue the subject to A2, depending on results in August.
Considering I've been learning for circa 2.5 yrs now and I'm doing Grade 5 piano tomorrow, what do you guys thing of this list of repertoire (bearing in mind it has to be 10-15 mins).
Chopin: Raindrop Prelude (5:50) Grade 7 or Mozart's Fantasy in D.
Bach, CPE: Sonata in Fm Wq 63/6:1st mvt Allegro di molto (3:21) Grade 6
My composition (circa 5 min) Grade 6,7?
Dussek: Rondo Sonatina Eb (3:01). Grade 6

Spoiler

Just to Clarify. These pieces would be played next year. I'm guessing around May.
(edited 10 years ago)
Obviously the Raindrop prelude is one of Chopin's most famous works and as such, the examiner will probably know it and have high expectations of it. One should only ever do the very famous works if you can really pull it off exceedingly well.

More generally speaking, I'm interested to hear more about you as a pianist. Like, how quickly to you pick up things? Are you a sight-reader or a memoriser? Or a you a jammy dodger who can do both to a high level? :biggrin: Which styles/composers/periods do you perform best? What's your understanding of harmonic features and structures like? Coz pulling of the C.P.E. Bach depends on that very much :yes: The Dussek runs the risk of sounding twee and bland if you don't have a good sense of the underpinning harmonic structure and you are able to demonstrate this with flair.

It's a really nice programme you've put together though and I wish you all the best with it :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Spoiler

Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps the other other option: Mozart's Fantasy in Dminor would then be more apropriate
In my 2.5 yrs of learning the piano, I haven't really learnt many pieces. I learnt my grade 3 pieces last yr. This year I learnt teh Grade 5 pieces for my exam tomorrow. I also learnt the popular Toccata from Bachs "Toccata and Fugue in Dminor", I learnt Air from Bach's "Partita no.6" and Chopin's Nocturne in C#minor (I learnt the G7 Nocturne for AS music and got 38/40 for it). What I'm getting at, is that with my limited repetoire I don't really have a favorite to play. In terms of listening, my 3 favorite composers are Chopin, Bach and Mozart.
My sight-reading is horrific so I suppose I'm a memorizer.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say ' understanding of harmonic features and structures'.
I see...r.e the dusek.
Thanks for the good wishes!
Original post by keromedic
Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps the other other option: Mozart's Fantasy in Dminor would then be more apropriate
In my 2.5 yrs of learning the piano, I haven't really learnt many pieces. I learnt my grade 3 pieces last yr. This year I learnt teh Grade 5 pieces for my exam tomorrow. I also learnt the popular Toccata from Bachs "Toccata and Fugue in Dminor", I learnt Air from Bach's "Partita no.6" and Chopin's Nocturne in C#minor (I learnt the G7 Nocturne for AS music and got 38/40 for it). What I'm getting at, is that with my limited repetoire I don't really have a favorite to play. In terms of listening, my 3 favorite composers are Chopin, Bach and Mozart.
My sight-reading is horrific so I suppose I'm a memorizer.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say ' understanding of harmonic features and structures'.
I see...r.e the dusek.
Thanks for the good wishes!

What I mean with the harmonic features and structures, is do you understand the modulation patterns and cadence points? And when you are in one key or playing a chord that is about to move somewhere else, can you sense in your head where you're going before you move?

I really like the Dussek and I imagine you could play the Chopin well. Just be careful with the Dussek. The recording I watched of it on YouTube sounded quite crap to be honest: it was like a piece of Haydn played in a dull manner (which is very easy to do!). I'm sure your teacher will help you though and you're thinking about this early, which is good! :smile:
What I mean with the harmonic features and structures, is do you understand the modulation patterns and cadence points? And when you are in one key or playing a chord that is about to move somewhere else, can you sense in your head where you're going before you move?

I really like the Dussek and I imagine you could play the Chopin well. Just be careful with the Dussek. The recording I watched of it on YouTube sounded quite crap to be honest: it was like a piece of Haydn played in a dull manner (which is very easy to do!). I'm sure your teacher will help you though and you're thinking about this early, which is good! :smile:

My theory is a little weak. I could understand it if I were to do a musical analysis, I suppose, off piano. However, whilst playing I don't have an innate sense of such things. Was the recording by AlanChan, by any chance?
Hopefully I will be able to play it well. But, as you mentioned, it is a hackneyed piece so perhaps teh Fantasy would be more apropriate :biggrin:.
I'm only looking at it now as my AS music teacher is making us produce the programme by the 2nd of July. N.B. this programme can't be changed which is why I'm being safe with the difficulty.
I've changed private piano teachers, yet again. We've only had 2 lessons thus far but I'm sure he'll help.
My theory is a little weak. I could understand it if I were to do a musical analysis, I suppose, off piano. However, whilst playing I don't have an innate sense of such things. Was the recording by AlanChan, by any chance?
Hopefully I will be able to play it well. But, as you mentioned, it is a hackneyed piece so perhaps teh Fantasy would be more apropriate :biggrin:.
I'm only looking at it now as my AS music teacher is making us produce the programme by the 2nd of July. N.B. this programme can't be changed which is why I'm being safe with the difficulty.
I've changed private piano teachers, yet again. We've only had 2 lessons thus far but I'm sure he'll help.

Tbh the Fantasy you mentioned is also very well known (though not quite as famous!), so if you prefer the Chopin, then you should go with it. Just do it justice is all I'm saying! :smile:

Yep, the recording was AlanChan. Don't worry about not having an innate sense about the harmony: it's hard if you don't have perfect/near-perfect pitch :yes:
Tbh the Fantasy you mentioned is also very well known (though not quite as famous!), so if you prefer the Chopin, then you should go with it. Just do it justice is all I'm saying! :smile:

Yep, the recording was AlanChan. Don't worry about not having an innate sense about the harmony: it's hard if you don't have perfect/near-perfect pitch :yes:

Thanks. Are there any lesser known works that you could suggest at the same level? I did ask this on another forum, a music one, but the suggestions seemed to be 1/2 minute pieces and I need to keep the number of pieces on the programme down.

Assuming I can fine no alternatives then Chopin it is! :wink:
Thanks. Are there any lesser known works that you could suggest at the same level? I did ask this on another forum, a music one, but the suggestions seemed to be 1/2 minute pieces and I need to keep the number of pieces on the programme down.

Assuming I can fine no alternatives then Chopin it is! :wink:

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. You should stick with the romantic period theme though, if you do change :yes:
I can't think of anything off the top of my head. You should stick with the romantic period theme though, if you do change :yes:

Thanks. Yep, that does make sense. It'd make my programme more varied. I think Dussek's late Classical. Bach: Baroque.

Frédéric Chopin: Prelude in Bm Op 28/6

Jan Ladislav Dussek Sonatina in Eb Op 19/6: 1st mvt Allegro
CPE Bach: Sonata in Fm
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: K545
That's what I ended up choosing. The composers are the same but I decided that if I was going to play a famous it'd be better to be classical (Mozart) because I may not be able to manage the expression associated with well known pianists playing the Raindrop Prelude or the Em prelude Chopin.
That's what I ended up choosing. The composers are the same but I decided that if I was going to play a famous it'd be better to be classical (Mozart) because I may not be able to manage the expression associated with well known pianists playing the Raindrop Prelude or the Em prelude Chopin.

Sounds fair enough :h:

Quick Reply

Latest