The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3700
Original post by Zürich
Presumably, revenue is generated to be spent on players etc. The underlying point is that even Arsenal will have higher revenue than Chelsea in the foreseeable future, so in a FFP environment, Chelsea will not just be able to rely on RA's external financing to compete.

Good thing then we've signed a £300 million kit deal. Ta Ta.
Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has agreed a third consecutive season-long loan deal at Atletico Madrid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23015682

His contract finishes in 2016 - anyone think there is a risk that in 2016, he'll just sign on a free for Atletico Madrid? :colondollar: I think he has more of an affiliation to Atletico than he does to Chelsea..
Reply 3702
No risk at all
The only risk is him becoming more attached to Atletico the longer he stays there. I'm not worried though, I'm sure the board aren't incompetent enough to let him go knowing that he's one of the best youngsters in Europe right now.
Reply 3704
Original post by Isometrix
The only risk is him becoming more attached to Atletico the longer he stays there. I'm not worried though, I'm sure the board aren't incompetent enough to let him go knowing that he's one of the best youngsters in Europe right now.

There's no risk of that at all.

He was at Genk since the age of 7, that's roughly 12 years he was there for; and he left them easily enough to join us. He's just smart, he doesn't want to play back-up with the WC next year and competition from Mignolet. He's been assured his future is here and will return as soon as he knows he's No.1. Which I assume will be next year as he'll be better than Cech then. I think he's better than Cech now, and just lacks experience.

Chelsea are a bigger team than At. Madrid. If he's assured a starting spot, there's only one team he'll play for. Mourinho has already stated his admiration for Thibault and I expect he'll sign a new deal at the end of the year.
Reply 3705
We really need to step it up if we're going to sign top players this summer. Arsenal will get Higuain, he'll do a good job there, City already have Navas and Fernandinho, Liverpool whilst they haven't signed any top top players have been busy already, Madrid look like they're going to sign Isco, Barca have Neymar, United will get Thiago and it's only a matter of time before Bayern sign some players, but it's all gone quiet for us on the transfer front.
Original post by Musester
We really need to step it up if we're going to sign top players this summer. Arsenal will get Higuain, he'll do a good job there, City already have Navas and Fernandinho, Liverpool whilst they haven't signed any top top players have been busy already, Madrid look like they're going to sign Isco, Barca have Neymar, United will get Thiago and it's only a matter of time before Bayern sign some players, but it's all gone quiet for us on the transfer front.

Schurrle?
Reply 3707
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Schurrle?

Hardly a huge signing though, and a signing in area where we don't need more players. We've got twice as many wingers as we do CB's atm.

But who would you want us to sign? The squad is already pretty full unless we offload some players. If we're after a striker like Cavani one of Torres/Ba need to go. I think Mourinho is waiting to assess the squad in pre-season before deciding on who's deadwood.

For once, it might just be a quiet summer for us.
Reply 3709
But who would you want us to sign? The squad is already pretty full unless we offload some players. If we're after a striker like Cavani one of Torres/Ba need to go. I think Mourinho is waiting to assess the squad in pre-season before deciding on who's deadwood.

For once, it might just be a quiet summer for us.

Our downfall last year was not having enough strikers, we need to keep as many as we can. Think about if say for example Lukaku started next season as first choice, then get's an injury that rules him out for months, we've got two more strikers available, then what if one of them get's injured? We're stuck with one striker for potentially months.

I also feel we need a new CDM regardless of whether Mikel leaves and a new CB as Terry is almost over the hill.
Our downfall last year was not having enough strikers, we need to keep as many as we can. Think about if say for example Lukaku started next season as first choice, then get's an injury that rules him out for months, we've got two more strikers available, then what if one of them get's injured? We're stuck with one striker for potentially months.

I also feel we need a new CDM regardless of whether Mikel leaves and a new CB as Terry is almost over the hill.

Last season we had two strikers though, we'll have three this time and even Schurrle can play up front. I think we have an excess of attackers, so someone will need to go to make room for a new player.

DM: Luiz, Mikel, Romeu
CM: Lampard, Ramires, Essien, (possibly) KdB

Again, we can only play two out of those six/seven so there's still a competitive midfield. In defence I guess we are a bit short if we consider Luiz to be playing up field most of the time.

I think if we offload Torres and Mikel (although still think he's of use to us), we can make room for a top striker and midfielder. And if we can get a CB who can also provide cover at LB, would be a plus.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3711
Am I the only one who wants Torres to stay? ;p
I do, only because I'm intrigued to see how he'll play under Mourinho :holmes:
Reply 3713

We don't need a single player imo. People forget that the likes of hazard and oscar now have had a season to bed in. At most we need a CB and a DM. With the striker there's no point unless we're selling one of torres or ba. We're fine for now and if we buy a signing it has to be one of extreme quality.

Mourinho needs to evaluate the squad first before seeing where he needs to improve. I think he had a similar strength squad at inter(just more experienced) and see how that panned out. Hearing mourinho is a big ramires fan too. Tbf a guy who will run around all game chasing the ball and getting tackles in seems like a mourinho player(see muntari and michael essien)
Reply 3714
Original post by jam277
We don't need a single player imo.

I'd like a second choice keeper
Reply 3715
Original post by Tweek
I'd like a second choice keeper

Delac. Apparently he's been in great form for inter.
Reply 3716
Original post by jam277
Delac. Apparently he's been in great form for inter.

Only really know him from FM which he's always rated highly.

Can't be worse than Turnbull....
Reply 3717
Original post by Tweek
Only really know him from FM which he's always rated highly.

Can't be worse than Turnbull....

Exactly. But with him there and blackman as the 3rd choice I'd be fine there tbh.
Reply 3718
Last season we had two strikers though, we'll have three this time and even Schurrle can play up front. I think we have an excess of attackers, so someone will need to go to make room for a new player.

DM: Luiz, Mikel, Romeu
CM: Lampard, Ramires, Essien, (possibly) KdB

Again, we can only play two out of those six/seven so there's still a competitive midfield. In defence I guess we are a bit short if we consider Luiz to be playing up field most of the time.

I think if we offload Torres and Mikel (although still think he's of use to us), we can make room for a top striker and midfielder. And if we can get a CB who can also provide cover at LB, would be a plus.

Don't need a CB like that imo. We have bertrand for cover. Probably need a CB who provides cover at RB in fact.
Can't Ivanovic provide cover at RB? Essien isn't a CB but he can play as a RB too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest