The Student Room Group

PGCE (Post-compulsory Education and Training)

Does anyone know when the cut-off point is for applying to PCET courses?

My GTTR application was submitted on-line last week but it's been held up because my principal referee isn't responding. My entire application is now in the hands of someone who might actually be out of the country and isn't aware I am applying.How ridiculous is the GTTR system? Surely getting the application in first and then asking for a reference later is preferable?
Reply 1
Hi there,

I had applied for the post compulsory pgce on the GTTR website to find out that I had to actually apply through UKPASS. This may be the case for you. If your principal referee hasnt responded then you can call the university and ask if they would accept a reference from somebody other than your principal referee i.e. employer.

hope this helps..
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

Fortunately the problem was resolved a few days later (it was down to a computer system anomaly - my referee hadn't actually received the request)

I'm still waiting to hear from my chosen provider though. :frown:
Reply 3
Maybe this thread could be kept open as a general PGCE (PCET) thread.
Reply 4
Has anybody had an interview with Newport Uni?
Reply 5
Has anyone got an interview at UEL or IoE???

I've been reading up on the TES FE general forum and i'm not sure about going into FE anymore. The wages are lower than secondary level and the hours seem to be more! Plus the amount of disgruntled FE lecturers on there is unreal!

Anyone in the same position as me??? :frown:
Hi, could someone who has done a post-compulsory PGCE share there experiences please? Have you found a job after the course? And if so, how quickly?
Reply 7
Hi PC (love the name btw),
I completed the PGCE PCET last year, and got a job straight away. Albeit it is in a secondary school and not in post comp education. Since the new rules re PCET teachers, being able to teach in secondary schools came out, there is 'more variety' if you like.

I assume (judging by your name) that you're going to teach the sciences? In which case, you will be in high demand, as long as you receive 'good' or 'outstanding' lesson observations during your PCET.

If you think secondary school isn't for you, like me, you may change your opinion, I love it! :colondollar:

Hope you find this helpful, don't hesitate to ask me any more qs. :smile:
Original post by BBGirl
Hi PC (love the name btw),
I completed the PGCE PCET last year, and got a job straight away. Albeit it is in a secondary school and not in post comp education. Since the new rules re PCET teachers, being able to teach in secondary schools came out, there is 'more variety' if you like.

I assume (judging by your name) that you're going to teach the sciences? In which case, you will be in high demand, as long as you receive 'good' or 'outstanding' lesson observations during your PCET.

If you think secondary school isn't for you, like me, you may change your opinion, I love it! :colondollar:

Hope you find this helpful, don't hesitate to ask me any more qs. :smile:

Hi BBGirl!

So Post-Compulsory PGCE grads are allowed to teach in secondary schools now? I didn't know this.

I'm applying for the post-compulsory PGCE pre service at the institute of education.

Can you also tell me about the assessment format, 'good' and 'outstanding' are they grades?
Reply 9
Assessment format for a PGCE? All assignments, observations by your mentor (in the place you will teach for a year) and by an outsider (usually a teacher themselves) who will grade you like ofsted do:

1=Outstanding
2=Good
3=Adequate
4=Inadequate

We didn't do any exams, don't know whether they do that in IoE.
Original post by BBGirl
Assessment format for a PGCE? All assignments, observations by your mentor (in the place you will teach for a year) and by an outsider (usually a teacher themselves) who will grade you like ofsted do:

1=Outstanding
2=Good
3=Adequate
4=Inadequate

so you did it at UEL right? How much was the tuition fee? Because right now they are not displayed on there website.
Original post by BBGirl

1=Outstanding
2=Good
3=Adequate
4=Inadequate

Also, during the course did you teach college students (16+)?
Reply 12
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
Also, during the course did you teach college students (16+)?

Yes, absolutely, 15 hours a week from October to May...loved it, I had a fab mentor. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Urm, fee was £3250 per annum.
Original post by BBGirl
Urm, fee was £3250 per annum.

one year right? The whole course that is.

Sorry if I'm bugging you with too many questions.
I didnt know post comp teachers could teach in secondary schools, ive been desperatley searching for a secondary pgce that i would be suitable for [history of art and design student].. does anyone know any history pgce's that accept art history students?
Reply 16
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
one year right? The whole course that is.

Sorry if I'm bugging you with too many questions.

Lolol, bug away! Yes, it was a one year PGCE.
Reply 17
Original post by l-nicholson
I didnt know post comp teachers could teach in secondary schools, ive been desperatley searching for a secondary pgce that i would be suitable for [history of art and design student].. does anyone know any history pgce's that accept art history students?

Yes, post comp teachers can teach in secondary schools, but not primary schools. This is a recent change, if the labour party comes back, then things can change again. You have to join the Institute for Learning (IfL) to gain QTLS. Once you've achieved that, you are a qualified teacher and can teach in sec or post comp institutions.

Can't help with the art history thing I'm afraid, but I don't mind qs re PGCE PCET or teaching. :smile:
Original post by BBGirl
Lolol, bug away! Yes, it was a one year PGCE.

wow, that sounds like an ideal course for me then, shame though uel don't d=run it anymore, i phoned them the other day and they told me..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending