Anyone?:smile:

You could always look at the pictures on the website? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by ali_w
I went to look at Leicester Accommodation at the open day and for some reason they decided not to open any of the cheap standard self catered!
That's the only stuff I can afford so what's it really like?

Hi, I'm in Mary Gee, which is the second cheapest block of accommodation. Basically, it's not exactly 5 star living and the kitchen is waaay too small but the showers and ovens work and it's a roof over your head so I can't complain really. It is pretty sociable as well. In the summer you often get people sat out on the grass with guitars and stuff, which is really nice. I've liked living here, The people are awesome.
Reply 822
Hey I just wondered if anyone knows what the process is in applying for accommodation if you've put Leicester as your insurance. I put it as my insurance choice but after my English exam I think I've missed my offer for my firm. I know priority is given to those who firm Leicester so do I just wait until after results day?
Reply 823
Original post by L.O.V.E
Hey I just wondered if anyone knows what the process is in applying for accommodation if you've put Leicester as your insurance. I put it as my insurance choice but after my English exam I think I've missed my offer for my firm. I know priority is given to those who firm Leicester so do I just wait until after results day?

Yeah, you can't apply with Leicester as an insurance until post results day, but you're still guaranteed a place so long as you do so before Sept 1st.
Hi! I'm an international student and coming to Leicester in September. I have to go to Oadby because I'd only opt for "catered". Since City Living only provides "self-catered", got no choice. Any suggestions for the halls in Oadby? From what I read here, no Digby and head for Jo Fo? LOL
Reply 825
Original post by SamuelChau
Hi! I'm an international student and coming to Leicester in September. I have to go to Oadby because I'd only opt for "catered". Since City Living only provides "self-catered", got no choice. Any suggestions for the halls in Oadby? From what I read here, no Digby and head for Jo Fo? LOL

Look at the facilities you want ie. ensuite or not, and if ensuite how big, then decide based on that really.

Digby's shut so that's not an option!
Reply 826
Anyone currently renting a studio flat type property (that isn't Code or Summit etc) in Leicester? I have seen a few around the City centre area and they are damn awful!
Original post by roh
Look at the facilities you want ie. ensuite or not, and if ensuite how big, then decide based on that really.

Digby's shut so that's not an option!

Thanks. So the website has misled me? (http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/student-accommodation/oadby-student-village/beaumont-and-digby-hall-1)
Reply 828

Errm yeah, they should update that.
Original post by roh
Errm yeah, they should update that.

So which one would you recommend? Like I'd do "catered". Also, in Order not to be tempted to social instead of studying, id choose something in the middle. Anything like semi-social? LOL Btw, I can only choose within Oadby becoz city living doesn't have catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 830
So which one would you recommend? Like I'd do "catered". Also, in Order not to be tempted to social instead of studying, id choose something in the middle. Anything like semi-social? LOL Btw, I can only choose within Oadby becoz city living doesn't have catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all pretty social to be honest. JoFo probably slightly less so than GMS and Beaumont though.
Original post by roh
They're all pretty social to be honest. JoFo probably slightly less so than GMS and Beaumont though.

They say that I have to apply before 1st September, but the places are on a first-come-first-basis? If so, I'm pretty far behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hunter_scfc
Hey. I've had a quick look to see if what you were saying about 'Jofo used to cost more' to see if the statement was true. It all depends on the type of room you are allocated. Technically you could get a room in Beaumont (viewed as cheaper) which costs more than a room in John Foster. It is down to the room type. However, the majority of Jofo are of the more expensive type hence why they are viewed as 'more expensive'. Say for example you wanted to live in a standard catered room (one of the cheapest) it is possible but 458 rooms out of 480 are ensuite so your chances are slim. I hope this all makes sense (revision is making me tired).

Ultimately you need to think about a few things when deciding where and what to apply for: cost, self-catered vs catered, atmosphere, type of building. Beaumont is known more for the atmosphere and being relatively cheaper than the other accommodation. However, where the atmosphere is will depend year on year as it ultimately boils down to who you are living with. My concern with choosing Jofo when i was in this process (last year) was if i ended up in a flat with four/five other people and we didn't have anything in common. Now i ended up in a block with 30 people on one floor (Beaumont). If you are willing to pay more to live in the nicer buildings go for Jofo but definitely consider Beaumont and GMS. I can't really answer a lot on Jofo but i have seen posts on here from current Jofo students so asking them maybe a good start.

I apologise for the essay and i do hope this helps.

Hi Hunter_scfc, I'm studying year 1 in September and I'd like to know more about the Oadby Studnt Village. (I can only choose within Oadby becoz I'd only do catered).

Won't it be a bit bored for students if you live alone in a room instead of having a roommate? This might be odd coz back in Hong Kong (Int'd student) we mostly share a room with a roommate.

And how's the atmosphere and social in JoFo, Beaumont and GMS?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 833
They say that I have to apply before 1st September, but the places are on a first-come-first-basis? If so, I'm pretty far behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not too far behind, you should still be fine to get Oadby if you apply now, but it is pretty much first come first served so I'd get on it asap.
Original post by roh
You're not too far behind, you should still be fine to get Oadby if you apply now, but it is pretty much first come first served so I'd get on it asap.

Thanks roh. Is it odd to get a twin room (catered)? There are so many single rooms. LOL
It must be a different culture coz back in HK we usually do twin rooms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 835
Thanks roh. Is it odd to get a twin room (catered)? There are so many single rooms. LOL
It must be a different culture coz back in HK we usually do twin rooms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, twin rooms aren't the norm, in Leicester or the UK generally.
When I rang they told me it isnt first come first serve because it is all processed after results come out??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 837
Original post by Hart1995
When I rang they told me it isnt first come first serve because it is all processed after results come out??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but the people who applied earlier will get priority where there's a clash apparently. Essentially they allocate rooms already and then the whole thing just goes live on results day, plus accounts for those who miss the grades and insurance people.

It isn't totally first come first served as unconditional firmers applying now will still likely get whatever they ask for, but it is for the most part.
(edited 10 years ago)
I lived at Nixon court, city living, self catering which is cheaper I think overall. It was great since its only 5 minutes from uni campus and 20-30 mins from town centre. There is a morrisons like 5 mins away. My flat had all undergraduates and some were doing my course so I made friends quickly. The rooms are reasonable size and well furnished. I had a sink in my room but no ensuite. I would really recommend it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

Does anybody have a house over the summer when they won't be living in it? I am looking for summer accommodation as I have a work placement for 10 weeks starting on the 7th July. I am going into my final year of university in September.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending