The Student Room Group

Sociology A-Level (As&A2) in one year possible?

Hi, I am really worried as I recently started the subject sociology. It if fairly new to me as I have never done any subject of that nature, except from psychology. I have successfully completed my AS psychology with a low A and in order for me to go to the university I want to go to I needed another A-Level at grade A in on year.

I decided to choose sociology as I only at an option beween Law and sociology. I find it a liitle hard as I have only attended A2 lessons.
For all sociology students out there, what can I do, revise or have a glance at in order to make things in A2 a lot easier. What are the main topics I could read about over the summer holidays ?
I had a look at marxism theory and I am currently looking at funtionalism theory.

Secondly do you think sociology is similar to psychology and how is the workload? It sociology easier or it it more complicated.
If I work hard will I be able to receive the grade I want to ?

Please I would be soo grateful ifor your advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Harold 50a

For all sociology students out there, what can I do, revise or have a glance at in order to make things in A2 a lot easier. What are the main topics I could read about over the summer holidays ?
I had a look at marxism theory and I am currently looking at funtionalism theory.

Secondly do you think sociology is similar to psychology and how is the workload? It sociology easier or it it more complicated.

Hi there :smile:

I would recommend looking over all the schools of thought e.g. Marxism/Neo-Marxism, Functionalism, Feminism and Late Modernists/Postmodernism, as well as Left/Right Realism, the New Right etc. Look at what these theories state on their own, and then read on how they apply to different areas such as crime and education.

In terms of having different topics and theories, yes, Sociology is similar to Psychology. Research Methods overlap too, but that is where the similarities end. Psychology is much more scientific and individualistic, whereas Sociology is more qualitative and focuses on society on a whole. There is a lot to know, moreso than Psychology in my opinion, but the content is not difficult to grasp (I would say it is easier). You just need to be able to articulate yourself in the exams, as it isn't just a case of 5 A01 and 5 A02 points and that's that - it all needs to link in and cover a wide range of points.

If you work hard, both on subject content and on your exam skills, you should do well!
Reply 2
Original post by miss.ce.0x
Hi there :smile:

I would recommend looking over all the schools of thought e.g. Marxism/Neo-Marxism, Functionalism, Feminism and Late Modernists/Postmodernism, as well as Left/Right Realism, the New Right etc. Look at what these theories state on their own, and then read on how they apply to different areas such as crime and education.

In terms of having different topics and theories, yes, Sociology is similar to Psychology. Research Methods overlap too, but that is where the similarities end. Psychology is much more scientific and individualistic, whereas Sociology is more qualitative and focuses on society on a whole. There is a lot to know, moreso than Psychology in my opinion, but the content is not difficult to grasp (I would say it is easier). You just need to be able to articulate yourself in the exams, as it isn't just a case of 5 A01 and 5 A02 points and that's that - it all needs to link in and cover a wide range of points.

If you work hard, both on subject content and on your exam skills, you should do well!

Well thank you that truely was an uplift :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, I am really worried as I recently started the subject sociology. It if fairly new to me as I have never done any subject of that nature, except from psychology. I have successfully completed my AS psychology with a low A and in order for me to go to the university I want to go to I needed another A-Level at grade A in on year.

I decided to choose sociology as I only at an option beween Law and sociology. I find it a liitle hard as I have only attended A2 lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. I teach both given they are both social sciences there is overlap in the sense there is overlap between naths and physics .

Sociology is not a more 'qualitative' subject. Like psychology there is a split between those who see it as a science and those who see it as a humanities subject.

Research methods are simikar so this will save you some time.

Bit of a generalisation but will do for A level. Sociologists place seemingly individual behaviour within a wider pattern to try and find it's cause. Psychology looks at individual behaviour (though not really)

Hope this helps.
also you need to find out what exam board you will do in sociology so that you can start reading ahead on the topics you will do in september
Reply 5
Original post by lalavasquez
also you need to find out what exam board you will do in sociology so that you can start reading ahead on the topics you will do in september

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's true.

Ocr is the easiest board.

Aqa is the one most centres do.

CIE is the most difficult.
Reply 6
I'm doing CIE :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Traci Wyne
I'm doing CIE :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you at a private school/centre?
Reply 8
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you at a private school/centre?

Yep
Sorry for the late response, I have only just discovered this post hidden among the list!

I did the same as you - fast-tracked the AS+A2 in one year with all four exams. Most exams now have an element of synoptic linking which is drawing a collected knowledge of all your ideas into one paper and having studied all the topics in the space of a year this will be far easier for you than your class mates who will have studied the topics a year ago. I found this during my fast-track, especially in the later months when it came to making links between ideas and theories in the crime unit that were covered in the education topic. HOWEVER, unless you ask your teachers to identify the topics to read around that are of most importance from AS ready for your A2 lessons then you will be feeling exceptionally far behind and worried - trust me, you think you won't but when it got to November I was honestly feeling the stress. Ask for help sooner rather than later from your tutors!

When it comes to revision, the following are vital;

1) Theories
2) Key thinkers
3) Their concepts
4) How it fits into the topic you are studying

START EARLY. START BASIC. Sociology is a theory based subject i.e. you have the main theories of feminism, functionalism, marxism, social interactionism and post-modernism. For a fast-tracker, by getting ontop of the theory will be so much easier as if you understand the theory, you can guess what each say about different institutions and different ideas i.e. crime.
I did it in one year too. Hard work (as was also working full-time), and like you I had already completed psychology. It's super interesting and this keeps you quite motivated. If you got an A at psych then you can get an A at sociology. It is easier as it is a lot more common-sense based, though the level does krank up at A2, and you really need to know your stuff. It is completely possible though. All you need is determination and interest in the subject. Like I say, you got an A before so we/you know you are capable.
Reply 11
Original post by _splinter_
I did it in one year too. Hard work (as was also working full-time), and like you I had already completed psychology. It's super interesting and this keeps you quite motivated. If you got an A at psych then you can get an A at sociology. It is easier as it is a lot more common-sense based, though the level does krank up at A2, and you really need to know your stuff. It is completely possible though. All you need is determination and interest in the subject. Like I say, you got an A before so we/you know you are capable.

It is not common sense, some of it has become common sense, bit like psychology in that respect.
whether it has 'become' common-sense or started off as common-sense is immaterial ;p The fact is that in the context of today's world some of it is common-sense and is information that we have become to take for granted (women's rights, etc.). Therefore revising it for exams (at least for AS) can feel very easy - because you feel that 'well, i knew this already - this is obvious' kind of thing.

I am not sure psychology's history is the same. Sociology is something we also learn through other subjects - e.g., at school in GCSE, or just by reading the Guardian. I would say that if you have read the Guardian every day for the last 5 years you will do well at sociology (I appreciate not many A-level student will have done mind).

Psychology can be a lot more complex - this is just my personal view of course.
Oops I posted on the wrong thread!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by _splinter_

btw for sociology did you use that AQA sociology book (the blue one) or learn just from a revision guide?
No I used the full textbooks - the as one and the a2 one.
I'm selling my Soc and Psych books if you're interested pm me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grade did you get after doing it in one year with no Jan exams?
Reply 18
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
What grade did you get after doing it in one year with no Jan exams?

I got an A, but that was because I worked day and night and I used this book below to help me understand and revise A2. withought this book i would not gotten a high enough grade to pull up my AS's to and overall A!Are you intending to do it yourself in one year?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-A2-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432719897&sr=8-2&keywords=sociology+revision
I got an A, but that was because I worked day and night and I used this book below to help me understand and revise A2. withought this book i would not gotten a high enough grade to pull up my AS's to and overall A!Are you intending to do it yourself in one year?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-A2-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432719897&sr=8-2&keywords=sociology+revision

Yes i am planning to, either in Economics or Sociology. So what did your school make you do? Did you sit in A2 lessons and learn the AS at home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending