The Student Room Group

Are you proud of where you come from?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _anyawalsh
Was born in Leeds, wouldn't say I was proud necessarily because I don't remember being there, moved when I was 2, had a good childhood in nice (as in for a family kinda nice) area, but I hate where I live atm and can't wait to move! I'm proud to be British though, but would be the same if I was another nationality

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same position, was born in Leeds but moved away when I was very young, hardly been back since and grew up somewhere else.
Reply 61
Original post by james1211
Are you serious? Newcastle has incredible amounts of history and culture!

It's the birthplace of the large scale coal mine, the fuel that allowed the industrial revolution to happen. It's the birth place of the locomotive, something that has impacted hugely on modern life. It's the birth place of the life boat. We have swathes of historic listed buildings contrasted against modern artistic buildings and projects designed by famous architects like norman foster.

We do have a lot of council estates though :colondollar:

Yes, but compared to Istanbul it's similar to Slough :tongue:.

Anyway, I'm from Malvern, and I love it here, even more than the more exciting places. It is the best place to grow up in the country; of that, I am sure.
Honestly never understood the concept of being 'proud' of where you come from. Where you were born has no influence on who you are, it does not determine who you are, and you do not change anything about that place by being born there. It's simply a place where your parents decided to settle down and you just so happened to be born in that place. It could even be the case that where you were born, isn't even where your parents lived or where you grew up. If your parents had settled down somewhere else, you'd still be you and that place would still be that place. There's literally no relationship between you and your place of birth that would warrant any sense of 'pride', which would imply that the location had actually contributed something to your birth and had achieved something due to your birth.

I can understand having a fond feeling towards your place of birth, that is perfectly understandable, one could easily look with affection at where they were born and think, yes, that is where it all started. Having a sense of pride about it though? That to me makes zero sense whatsoever. Its nothing more than a consequence of circumstance, you could have been born anywhere, its not something the location has achieved.
(edited 10 years ago)
yes. although i am not a fan of the current political system in iran, the persian culture and history is awesome.
Original post by You Failed
Honestly never understood the concept of being 'proud' of where you come from. Where you were born has no influence on who you are, it does not determine who you are, and you do not change anything about that place by being born there. It's simply a place where your parents decided to settle down and you just so happened to be born in that place. It could even be the case that where you were born, isn't even where your parents lived or where you grew up. If your parents had settled down somewhere else, you'd still be you and that place would still be that place. There's literally no relationship between you and your place of birth that would warrant any sense of 'pride', which would imply that the location had actually contributed something to your birth and had achieved something due to your birth.

I can understand having a fond feeling towards your place of birth, that is perfectly understandable, one could easily look with affection at where they were born and think, yes, that is where it all started. Having a sense of pride about it though? That to me makes zero sense whatsoever. Its nothing more than a consequence of circumstance, you could have been born anywhere, its not something the location has achieved.

Heritage doesn't define who you are, your brain and your heart do
Original post by You Failed

I bet you're fun at parties :smile:
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm in the same position, was born in Leeds but moved away when I was very young, hardly been back since and grew up somewhere else.

Yeah I only go for a day trip couple of times a year to visit my family (I have tons of family members that live there) but I never really see the actual Leeds, I just go to the residential parts and maybe sop off at ikea or white rose:P
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamHarriis
I bet you're fun at parties :smile:

I suppose I am, I get invited enough. How about actually responding to the point instead of posting petty insults?
Reply 68
Original post by Emre944
I'm from Istanbul, don't like it here but not ashamed of it either. Pride would be an overstatement.
Don't really care anymore either since I'll be moving to Newcastle in September. :awesome:

Ditto! Except for the Istanbul part. Can't wait for uni to start- Newcastle sounds awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by aari
Ditto! Except for the Istanbul part. Can't wait for uni to start- Newcastle sounds awesome! :biggrin:

89 days left, getting impatient. :biggrin:
Grimsby Town - I wouldn't say proud but I sure do love the place and the people in it even if it is a ****hole.
Reply 71
I come from the arse-end of a chav infested, dilapidated, northern industrial town. A place where knife-crime is considered a past-time :holmes: I'm quite indifferent to the place really
Reply 72
Hated hated hated Middlesbrough, still hate it when i go back for a few days to see family. Absolutely adore South Wales beautiful place and fantastic people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Swansea. About 20 mins away from 'The Call Centre' and know/know of a lot of people on it. I like my little village, and Swansea has a lot to offer if you know how to find it, but I don't plan on living here/this country at all in ten years.
Reply 74
Original post by JennaEmBee
I'm from Swansea. About 20 mins away from 'The Call Centre'

Lol I applied for a job there 6 years ago, so glad I didn't get it! I love Swansea, living in Neath now but would like to live in Cardiff one day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im from East London, no people here are right dicks.
[QUOTE="SamJ12;43299831"]
Original post by JennaEmBee
I'm from Swansea. About 20 mins away from 'The Call Centre'

Lol I applied for a job there 6 years ago, so glad I didn't get it! I love Swansea, living in Neath now but would like to live in Cardiff one day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I've had a few friends who work there, one a while ago was like 'oh you guys, this Griff bloke in work is a nutter' etc then watching the programme I was sitting there thinking...ooooooh haha. I've just finished in Neath College. Have to run over tomorrow actually, got two DVDs from the library that are 2 weeks overdue. Whoops. Live in Pontardawe so it's perfect middle between Neath and Swansea. After uni I hope to escape to Spain or France, or actually whatever country will take me as a TEFL teacher. :biggrin:
Original post by aari

It is. :biggrin: (I don't live there, but have a lot of experience of it.)

Original post by SamJ12
Hated hated hated Middlesbrough, still hate it when i go back for a few days to see family.

Another Smoggie! Hello there. :hello: (I'm from Middlesbrough as well, in case you didn't see my earlier post.)
Reply 78
I'm not proud of the town I'm from: the people are often obnoxious, and it's full of pilates mums in 4x4s who don't slow down to pass me when I'm walking my dogs. I'm proud of the general area I'm from because it's beautiful and constitutes my idea of England. I'm not proud of my county because I think on the whole it's characterised by people I mentioned in the first sentence, although obviously this is a massive generalisation. And obviously I'm proud of being English.
Reply 79
Proud to be from Coventry. A lot of history in motor industry and from the war.
Original post by simplylldxo
I'm from Derby (the most central city in England :tongue:), I've lived here all my life; its okay in some parts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

*******s mate, I'm pretty sure that is either Coventry or Leicester.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest