The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I think now's as good a time as any to start revision properly
Reply 261
Thoughts? The Livy translation was ok, didn't like the comprehension questions, but the Tacitus was ok in the end.
Reply 262
how did people find the prose?
Did anyone keep wanting to write Tarantino? I must have checked myself every single time I wrote whatever it was during that translation...

Good paper all in all.
Reply 264
Original post by vm7169
how did people find the prose?

Preferred the essays on Tacitus tbh, hated the comprehension questions for Livy. Couldn't think of any points the unseen style questions!
Passage (remember it had omissions, this doesn't!!) for Livy, translation and comprehension:

By this time there was as much shouting and uproar as usually happens when a city is taken, but nobody knew for certain what had happened. The Tarentines thought that the Roman garrison had started to pillage the town; the Romans were under the impression that the townsfolk had got up a disturbance with some treacherous design. The commandant, awakened by the tumult, hurried away to the harbour, and getting into a boat was rowed round to the citadel. To add to the confusion the sound of a trumpet was heard from the theatre. It was a Roman trumpet which the conspirators had procured for the purpose, and being blown by a Greek who did not know how to use it, no one could make out who gave the signal or for whom it was intended. When it began to grow light, the Romans recognised the arms of the Carthaginians and Gauls, and all doubt was removed; the Greeks, too, seeing the bodies of the Romans lying about everywhere, became aware that the city had been taken by Hannibal. When the light grew clearer and the Romans who survived the massacre had taken refuge in the citadel, the tumult having somewhat subsided, Hannibal ordered the Tarentines to assemble without their arms. After they had all assembled, with the exception of those who had accompanied the Romans into the citadel to share their fate whatever it might be, Hannibal addressed some kind words to them, and reminded them of the way he had treated their compatriots whom he had taken in the battle of Cannae. He went on to inveigh bitterly against the tyranny of Roman domination, and ended by ordering them each to return to their homes and write their names over their doors; if any houses were not so inscribed he should at once give the signal for them to be plundered, and if any one placed an inscription on a house occupied by a Roman - they were in a separate quarter - he should treat him as an enemy. The people were dismissed, and after the inscriptions had been placed on the doors, so that the houses could be distinguished from those of the enemy, the signal was given and the troops dispersed in all directions to plunder the Roman houses. There was a considerable amount of plunder seized.

Eh, not as good as I'd thought, but it was okay. Some good guessing!
Seems ok I guess. Was never going to get it all right. I thought overall it was a better paper than the Verse, and the Sallust extracts were fairly predictable. Plus I'd written practice essays on the speech and Sempronia already, luckily.
Reply 267
Was dreading that the Thrasea Paetus speech would come up, however I seemed to make ore points than the second part. I'm just not sure about the Livy seemed ok at the time but coming out, it seems worse. I hated the questions asking about 'what is the grammatical construction' - one of them I put motion towards using the preposition of ad and the accusative?
Does anyone find there wasn't much to write for the second Tacitus essay? Most of the passage was about Nero's measures and the consequences of the fire. There wasn't much about Nero's impression!
Original post by joereed
Was dreading that the Thrasea Paetus speech would come up, however I seemed to make ore points than the second part. I'm just not sure about the Livy seemed ok at the time but coming out, it seems worse. I hated the questions asking about 'what is the grammatical construction' - one of them I put motion towards using the preposition of ad and the accusative?

I put purpose clause and translated the bit. What was the second one?
Reply 270
Original post by cocacolaaa
Does anyone find there wasn't much to write for the second Tacitus essay? Most of the passage was about Nero's measures and the consequences of the fire. There wasn't much about Nero's impression!

I just talked about how Tacitus went from how he was great in helping the people of Rome, to trying to found a new city for his own reputation and singing of the destruction of Troy. There were conflicting ideas but I concluded to say that Tacitus expresses a positive impression, but only for his sake, and eventually Tacitus climaxes to a negative point of view.
Reply 271
I put purpose clause and translated the bit. What was the second one?

I talking the bits that were worth 2 marks each, the last 2 comprehension questions - purpose was about explaining why they are subjunctive
Original post by joereed
I talking the bits that were worth 2 marks each, the last 2 comprehension questions - purpose was about explaining why they are subjunctive

Yeah ad+ gerundive is to express purpose right?
Reply 273
Yeah ad+ gerundive is to express purpose right?

Yes thank god for that! I guess I was over thinking it when I thought it was wrong. The 2nd part I couldn't get, something like discursum est - explain the grammatical construction?
Original post by joereed
Yes thank god for that! I guess I was over thinking it when I thought it was wrong. The 2nd part I couldn't get, something like discursum est - explain the grammatical construction?

I said it's perfect passive but I didn't know what discursum meant so my translation was probably wrong
Reply 275
I said it's perfect passive but I didn't know what discursum meant so my translation was probably wrong

Yes I put it was a perfect passive participle, but I didn't know how it was a grammatical construction? I think it means having been spread or something like that, dis- usually implies scattering
Reply 276
Much better than the verse. The verse was abysmal I can't see myself even passing that. I thought this was okay, mainly as the translation was easier but it was harder to make style points and I felt myself rambling but luckily the language was quick so have an extra 30 minutes or something for the Lit. Now i'm worried I like missed a question page or something!!
Reply 277
Original post by vm7169
Much better than the verse. The verse was abysmal I can't see myself even passing that. I thought this was okay, mainly as the translation was easier but it was harder to make style points and I felt myself rambling but luckily the language was quick so have an extra 30 minutes or something for the Lit. Now i'm worried I like missed a question page or something!!

Agreed on this! couldn't make 3 points for the style, left it till the end and in the end wrote something im sure wasn't creditable. But set text did you do?

I said perfect passive too, but it was a guess and as it had a 'um' ending so I don't think it was :/
Original post by vm7169

I said that Livy uses plosive alliteration, tautology and 'senserunt' is deliberately put at the end of the very end of a long sentence, depicting how they only realised what had happened at the end of the story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending