The Student Room Group

Advice to get film / tv work experience...?

I am looking to build a portfolio of work and am struggling to get work experience in the Cambridgeshire area. Does anyone have any tips on how and where to go to get work experience in tv and film production? By the way I am 17 years old :smile: x
Reply 1
you would have to start as a runner i think
Reply 2
Original post by sdotd
you would have to start as a runner i think

I think sdotd was looking for work experience rather than work.

Tricky in Cambridgeshire sdotd, and even trickier at your age. The best bet would be to try to get work experience through your school/college. That also might be tricky unless someone has personal contacts. In terms of TV you would probably have to travel to London but if you can do that it may be worth emailing/ringing a few production companies, although many won't look at you (for insurance reasons) till you are 18.

You stand a better chance when you are a bit older. Might be an idea to try and get hold of a camera and get some experience that way.
Reply 3
Hi:smile:

I was about to ask a similar question to this, but seems you got here first :smile:
I got work experience at ITV and am going back this summer, but unfortunately they don't offer it to outside applicants anymore - which is a shame because it was a fantastic experience. C4 are doing one at the moment in London (check their 4Talent website) which is probably your next easiest option.

Do you know what kind of area you want to go in to yet?

It's hard because there are so many health and safety restrictions and people assume you're going to be more of a burden than a help, but if you remain polite but keen, contacting different local production companies and following it up by phone, you're in a better stance to be accepted.

Also don't limit yourself to just TV production. Say you want to work in sound, look at radio stations, technical companies, computing firms, volunteer at festivals and do anything you can that can offer skills similar to that area which you can use to put on your CV to gain further, more relevant experience :smile:

Let me know how it goes!
Grab a camera (doesn't have to be the most expensive ever) and some cheap/free editing software and start practising. Document whatever interests you. You could have work experience at some great places, but if you can't actually do the job you're interested in for when you're older then you'll struggle.
Reply 5
Original post by Chloe0802
I am looking to build a portfolio of work and am struggling to get work experience in the Cambridgeshire area. Does anyone have any tips on how and where to go to get work experience in tv and film production? By the way I am 17 years old :smile: x

Original post by emdoubleu

Also don't limit yourself to just TV production. Say you want to work in sound, look at radio stations, technical companies, computing firms, volunteer at festivals and do anything you can that can offer skills similar to that area which you can use to put on your CV to gain further, more relevant experience :smile:

Let me know how it goes!

This is what I was going to say. :smile: Also try to target local companies and organisations as well, or volunteer your services - is there a local charity you could offer to make short film about for publicity?
Reply 6
don't ask your school or volunteer at charity events, won't get you anywhere. Get an agent, start doing acting work to see if working in the industry is for you (as you can see runners and producers running around going crazy). Go to Soho with a cv in hand and walk into every production company and ask for a job. You never know, you might get one.
Reply 7
Original post by donkey123
don't ask your school or volunteer at charity events, won't get you anywhere. Get an agent, start doing acting work to see if working in the industry is for you (as you can see runners and producers running around going crazy). Go to Soho with a cv in hand and walk into every production company and ask for a job. You never know, you might get one.

I really would not waste your time looking for an agent, they will not take you and you will not get anywhere via that route. Going to Soho to find production companies is also pointless as there are very few based there.
Reply 8
Whatever. What do you suggest then?
Reply 9
Original post by donkey123
Whatever. What do you suggest then?

I've already suggested. Above.
Better off trying when you are 18 OP. Very unusual for TV to offer work ex to anyone under 18.

Keep an eye on Channel 4's 4 Talent website.

Might be tricky from a Cambridgeshire base. Find out if your local council has a unit which promotes filming in the local area - most do - finding locations and the like - and try and see if they will let you do some work ex there.

Here's my next weird idea - find out if there are any local wedding video-ers near you and offer to help them out for free - the one thing which you are probably going to need to know something about if you want to get into the creative side of TV/film (of course there lots of other types of jobs you could do) is how to shoot stuff.

Again, expect to find this easier when you hit 18.
Reply 11
Build up your experiences first by starting off as a runner. Find out if your friends or family know anyone that has a job in TV, it may be that your uncle's best friend's neighbour has a job in the industry. Ask them if you could get some work experience that way, unpaid most likely. Also ask some of your teachers if they know anyone, you never know, maybe one of them knows someone.

Also contact your local uni and ask if any of the student film projects are looking for a runner, you won't get paid of course. Also ask them if they have any people that could put you in contact with.

Best of luck!
Hi most of my family are in this industry and you wont be able to get work experience under the age of 18 unless your very very lucky. So you need to be looking outside the big production companies.
Reply 13
Do whatever you can right now. Write your own stuff and if possible direct/produce it. As soon as you graduate, move out of there and go to London! If you want TV work, that's number #1 place to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending