The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone know how the 7 marks are awarded? i know its how clear you work is, but i need more details, those 7 marks for me could be the difference between a merit or fail, how do u secure those marks?
Original post by 3.1415927
Does anyone know how the 7 marks are awarded? i know its how clear you work is, but i need more details, those 7 marks for me could be the difference between a merit or fail, how do u secure those marks?

In the mark schemes they usually say S+ next to certain points. They're usually for things such as justifying why you're taking the positive root than a negative root or stating how you know r<1 when using the sum to infinity formula etc. The final T mark is for getting over 50% in every question.

So they aren't just for writing neatly etc. and I think they are a lot more difficult to get than some people think they are.
It seems the recent papers seem relatively nice,
just did June 09 and 10 and they are near C4 level.
Anyone sitting STEP I tomorrow as well, which exam are you sitting first? I've opted for STEP first then AEA, hoping that AEA will feel a lot easier after the morning.
Original post by mathsman77
Anyone sitting STEP I tomorrow as well, which exam are you sitting first? I've opted for STEP first then AEA, hoping that AEA will feel a lot easier after the morning.

I'll be doing them both and my 6th form has decided to make me sit AEA first and won't let me change the order :-/

I was planning on sitting STEP I first, but my sixth form rung up today saying that I have to sit AEA first instead. Hopefully it won't make that much of a difference though, and as long as I get what I need in either AEA or STEP, I don't care :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm sitting AEA first -- it should serve as a nice lead in to STEP I. Plus, I won't sit AEA with the thought of having failed STEP I.
2009 was a nice paper for me. Got ~77 on that, yay!
Original post by yl95
I'm sitting AEA first -- it should serve as a nice lead in to STEP I. Plus, I won't sit AEA with the thought of having failed STEP I.
2009 was a nice paper for me. Got ~77 on that, yay!

Original post by brittanna
I was planning on sitting STEP I first, but my sixth form rung up today saying that I have to sit AEA first instead. Hopefully it won't make that much of a difference though, and as long as I get what I need in either AEA or STEP, I don't care :tongue:

Original post by MathsNerd1
I'll be doing them both and my 6th form has decided to make me sit AEA first and won't let me change the order :-/

Hmm appears i'm the only one getting STEP out the way and done with then :K:
I suppose it doesn't matter at all but I think for me there will be some relief knowing the hard part is out the way come lunchtime.

Whats everyone's revision plans for tonight? I'm not sure just ploughing through more questions with no focus is going to help an awful lot.
Perhaps some serious Vector revision is in order :colonhash:
I suppose it doesn't matter at all but I think for me there will be some relief knowing the hard part is out the way come lunchtime.

Whats everyone's revision plans for tonight? I'm not sure just ploughing through more questions with no focus is going to help an awful lot.

Haha, I got to choose. I want to do well in at least one of those. If I flop STEP I and get a Distinction in AEA, I won't mind so much as I'm in Y12.
I've tried to revise today but I unfortunately got a case of hayfever starting from today (got it from my brother because I forgot he had hayfever when I drank from his drink can) so I've been lying down or not really concentrating on the questions much.
On the day before the C4 exam, I didn't really do that much work but still ended up acing it. :wink: Hopefully this stays the case for tomorrow. ;l
I need to go through the questions I got wrong in the AEA papers and do some more STEP questions but I'll sleep early and eat some Percy Pigs to keep me happy, heh.

I did all my vector revision earlier :cool:. I might redo some of the trig AEA questions or just do some random STEP questions. I don't really think there's that much more I can do now though.
Reply 90
Original post by yl95
Haha, I got to choose. I want to do well in at least one of those. If I flop STEP I and get a Distinction in AEA, I won't mind so much as I'm in Y12.
I've tried to revise today but I unfortunately got a case of hayfever starting from today (got it from my brother because I forgot he had hayfever when I drank from his drink can) so I've been lying down or not really concentrating on the questions much.
On the day before the C4 exam, I didn't really do that much work but still ended up acing it. :wink: Hopefully this stays the case for tomorrow. ;l
I need to go through the questions I got wrong in the AEA papers and do some more STEP questions but I'll sleep early and eat some Percy Pigs to keep me happy, heh.

:smile:

Being relaxed (but not too relaxed) is an excellent revision strategy, if you define revision as "activities to help you optimise your exam grade"
Reply 91
Someone please tell me they find these papers really solid? I'm yet to get above 50% and am praying for some divine inspiration tomorrow, regretting leaving it till a week ago to start but I guess A levels came first...
Original post by shamika
:smile:

Being relaxed (but not too relaxed) is an excellent revision strategy, if you define revision as "activities to help you optimise your exam grade"

It's scary knowing the fact I'll either be crying tears of joy or tears of...well, disappointment tomorrow at the end of the day. ;(
At least I don't have to sit the exams in a big hall and it's just me in the room. The fact that I finish tomorrow is a nice thought.
I did all my vector revision earlier :cool:. I might redo some of the trig AEA questions or just do some random STEP questions. I don't really think there's that much more I can do now though.

Vectors done and the odd STEP question as well. I agree, if you don't know it the night before, when will you? :tongue:
I'll see you all midnight tomorrow :colone:
Vectors done and the odd STEP question as well. I agree, if you don't know it the night before, when will you? :tongue:

Just wing it on the day I say :tongue:
I'll see you all midnight tomorrow :colone:

Is that when we can discuss? I thought it would be the same as STEP rules? All I know is I'll be stating over and over how much I failed the exam, like completely failed it :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Is that when we can discuss? I thought it would be the same as STEP rules? All I know is I'll be stating over and over how much I failed the exam, like completely failed it :redface:

As they didn't put many (if any) vectors question in STEP II, I'm sure they'll make up for it with STEP I and AEA (and STEP III). It is supposed to be vectorgeddon after all :tongue:.
And good luck tomorrow everyone :biggrin:.
As they didn't put many (if any) vectors question in STEP II, I'm sure they'll make up for it with STEP I and AEA (and STEP III). It is supposed to be vectorgeddon after all :tongue:.

Why would you say that? I'm not going to be happy tomorrow if I see some horrid vectors question in either AEA or STEP, you've probably jinxed it now but hopefully we can still get past them without too much frustration :tongue: Good luck for tomorrow and I look forward discussing your answers at the end, hopefully to both be attending Warwick in October :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending