The Student Room Group

What would the AVERAGE 17 year old be lifting???

As in the title this is the AVERAGE 17 year old, if you've been power lifting for 5 years then you need not reply...

I will be refferring to the bench press and the squat as these are the biggest power moves... Ie someone who can squat heavy is going to be stronger then someone who can bicep curl heavy... correct?!!

So im 17 i currently weigh 81kg Ive only been hitting my new gym (rugby gym that is predominently weights) for about 5 weeks, ive been hitting it regularly. And on a normal day i will only work legs by squatting, calf raises and lunges, and supersetting pecs and back. By Dumbbell bench pressing and lat pull downs. I will then work arms, shoulders etc on other days of the week...

Squat, 2 rep max at 100kg
Dumbbell bench press 5 reps at 30kg each arm (i never have a spot so i dont do barbell)

Im normally the youngest in the gym, so i cant really compare my self with all of these much older heavy lifters, so any advice willl be helpful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by joe1545
As in the title this is the AVERAGE 17 year old, if you've been power lifting for 5 years then you need not reply...

I will be refferring to the bench press and the squat as these are the biggest power moves... Ie someone who can squat heavy is going to be stronger then someone who can bicep curl heavy... correct?!!

So im 17 i currently weigh 81kg Ive only been hitting my new gym (rugby gym that is predominently weights) for about 5 weeks, ive been hitting it regularly. And on a normal day i will only work legs by squatting, calf raises and lunges, and supersetting pecs and back. By Dumbbell bench pressing and lat pull downs. I will then work arms, shoulders etc on other days of the week...

Squat, 2 rep max at 100kg
Dumbbell bench press 5 reps at 30kg each arm (i never have a spot so i dont do barbell)

Im normally the youngest in the gym, so i cant really compare my self with all of these much older heavy lifters, so any advice willl be helpful :smile:

I'd say the average bench 1RM of an untrained male is about 50-60kg. Squat 60-80kg.

Not that it matters what the average 1RM is. What matters is whether you're making progress.
I'm 17 maxed out on 150kg deadlift (sumo)
105kg squat
Never maxed my bench but have done 85kg for 3 reps
Training 6-7 months but not consistently due to exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
5 weeks and you're squatting 100kg? You going below parallel??

Don't waste your time comparing yourself to the average. You're lifting because you want to be a beast. Compare yourself to the beasts.
Reply 4
Original post by 419
5 weeks and you're squatting 100kg? You going below parallel??

Don't waste your time comparing yourself to the average. You're lifting because you want to be a beast. Compare yourself to the beasts.

Yea always below parallel for every rep, I was working out before that alot and rugby aids my strength
The average 17 year old doesn't lift very much but that's irrelevant. You should just be asking yourself what's the best you can do for yourself.
The average 17 year old doesn't lift at all*
Reply 7
Original post by joe1545

Pointless question.

Teen males develop at different rates. Some 17 year olds are damn near fully grown men wheras others are still skinny and boyish.

Some 17 year olds have a year of full time physical work and/or several years of competetive rugby/boxing/rowing etc. behind them.

Put it all together and who gives a **** about average.

If you want to see where you are at - either compete or look up figures online.

Otherwise, start looking at your own progress and making sure you are the best you can be.
Original post by joe1545
Yea always below parallel for every rep, I was working out before that alot and rugby aids my strength

Good work bro. Got any videos.

As others have said, screw the average. It doesn't matter. You're doing well for your time training and continue to train sensibly and you'll get better and better.

We're all gonna make it brah.
Reply 9
Im not a teen male! But am a female who does weight lifting :smile:
In order for your muscles to build up and develop id suggest working it up because generally people start at a low level and then as time goes on it gets easier so you increase. Just don't go straight into a high weight because you might cause muscle damage. Also id suggest if you do it like every day then to vary weights, so one day maybe a higher weight and then next day a lower weight and focus more on technique if you're doing things like lunges and squats and try get it lower.
Hope that helped a bit :-)
Original post by YogaQueen
Im not a teen male! But am a female who does weight lifting :smile:
In order for your muscles to build up and develop id suggest working it up because generally people start at a low level and then as time goes on it gets easier so you increase. Just don't go straight into a high weight because you might cause muscle damage. Also id suggest if you do it like every day then to vary weights, so one day maybe a higher weight and then next day a lower weight and focus more on technique if you're doing things like lunges and squats and try get it lower.
Hope that helped a bit :-)

Lol the reason females lift nothing gtfo!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UnknownError
Lol the reason females lift nothing gtfo!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

no chill
Original post by Libaan
no chill

Only 3 years late
True dat
Reply 14
Squat is 140kg but i can do 120 for reps
Deadlift can manage 130 for 5 and max is 160
and bench is pretty low i can only do 70 atm but hopefully 80 within a few weeks
(edited 7 years ago)
Crisps, chocolate, burger and chips from McDonalds, their phone.
Reply 16
I'll start off my *****est and work up (these are all 1RM):

Bench: 90kg
Squat: 150kg
Deadlift: 185kg

Training 6-7 days a week for the last 5ish months. Nutrition is the most important thing after actually lifting the weights - I work by Arnie's formula of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. 79kg male for those wondering :smile:

e: just realised I'm only 68lbs off the 1,000lb club!
(edited 7 years ago)
youre 17 and you squat 100kg and can dumbbell press 30kgs.. that's very very good for your age. fact. keep pushing yourself.
Reply 18
Original post by naturallygreezy
youre 17 and you squat 100kg and can dumbbell press 30kgs.. that's very very good for your age. fact. keep pushing yourself.

Good bump. OP would be 21 now; he probably squats 500kg and dumbbells presses over 9000
I am also a 17 year old male and weigh 70 kg and I have been lifting weights for about 8 or 9 months now and I'm here to say chill with too much weight. I lifted weights from 5-10 times a week pretty heavily and it was a terrible choice. I am fairly strong now but my joints constantly feel terrible especially my knees. My bench press at the start was 30kg of 4x10. Now I am 65kg 4x10 (4 sets of 10) and my squat is 102kg at 4x10 I have never touched a steroid and I'm glad I haven't. Try working out with push ups and sit ups. Any exercise that uses your own body weight I have been using said technique for about a month and my joints feel much better. We aren't done growing yet man don't KO before our life even starts gl and be safe -anonymous

Latest