The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just a quick note about the end (part (iii)) of question 7.

in part (i) you have the solution x=17,y=12

using part (ii) this gives m=8,n=6 which means 6^2=1/2x8x(8+1) which is exactly what you are looking for...giving you the solution a=28,b=8,c=6
Reply 41
Original post by cpdavis
Why yes, I knew I forgot something :tongue: will update solution later today in addition to the original OP. and will also stick in a sketch too :h:

also, did someone do a complete solution to Q3? I've not had a chance to look at solutions as I'm finishing off my work for supervisor :ahee:

Cheers :ahee:
Reply 42
OP updated! Only missing solution is 3 :tongue:
Reply 43
Will this do for Q3??
Original post by DJMayes
Damn. When I did the question I missed the "hence find". However, I had x as 3 and y=2 as my first solution, so would this likely lose marks?

Maybe just 1 mark? since it's very easy to deduce another solution. dw, you will still get the S :rolleyes:
What time are we allowed to discuss/post solutions for STEP I? Also if we post a solution, does it have be done using LaTeX? I have never used it before, but I'd like to post my solution to STEP I Q1 on here...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by talstactician
What time are we allowed to discuss/post solutions for STEP I? Also if we post a solution, does it have be done using LaTeX? I have never used it before, but I'd like to post my solution to STEP I Q1 on here...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No discussion until 1 pm tomorrow.
Original post by DJMayes
No discussion until 1 pm tomorrow.

Ok thanks, and is it ok if my solution isn't done in LaTeX?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48

Posted from TSR Mobile

That all depends on how clear your handwriting is :tongue:
Original post by cpdavis
That all depends on how clear your handwriting is :tongue:

I was going to write out my solution manually on TSR, rather than upload a link to my working on paper, but I can scan it in if you'd like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's generally preferred in LateX, but you can still post it up raw and hopefully someone will Tex it for you.
Reply 51
STEP I 2013 Q12

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(iii)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Mechanics section for STEP 1:

Q9 STEP I

Spoiler

Q10 STEP 1

Spoiler

Q11 STEP I

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
STEP I 2013 Question 7:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
I used the substitution y=(x^2)(u) and it worked, though I might have made a mistake. I'll have to see the paper again.
Original post by Vaz_Tê
I used the substitution y=(x^2)(u) and it worked, though I might have made a mistake. I'll have to see the paper again.

I also used this solution so I hope its not wrong :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I also used this solution so I hope its not wrong :redface:

Did you get the same final solution as me?
Original post by Mastermind2
Did you get the same final solution as me?

I got my value of c being 6 so I don't think it was the same at all :-/ I'm really doubting my performance in this paper now :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I got my value of c being 6 so I don't think it was the same at all :-/ I'm really doubting my performance in this paper now :redface:

I don't remember what I did in the exam tbh, my answer might have been different to what I put here.
Reply 59
What do you think the boundaries will be for STEP 1? I thought it was a really nice paper, managed to get five and a half solutions. Would be really nice to get a grade 1 in lower 6th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending