The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Degree

Hi guys, I was wounder weather it is hard to get a job in the UK after getting a chemical engineering degree, after university?

Any experience with finding a job with a chemical engineering degree is welcome.

+rep to those who help =)
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Anyone?

I have no idea tbh, but I think its easier than a lot of other fields because chemical engineers are really quite in demand :smile:

Are you in sixth form at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I have no idea tbh, but I think its easier than a lot of other fields because chemical engineers are really quite in demand :smile:

Are you in sixth form at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, have you had any experiences in this field, or any similar?
yeah, have you had any experiences in this field, or any similar?

No no, I'm in year 12, and I want to do Chem Eng at uni.
I have a cousin that did a Chemical Engineering with Environment or something degree, and he found a job really easily. I've heard chemical engineers are in demand anyway, so I don't think thats a problem.
No no, I'm in year 12, and I want to do Chem Eng at uni.
I have a cousin that did a Chemical Engineering with Environment or something degree, and he found a job really easily. I've heard chemical engineers are in demand anyway, so I don't think thats a problem.

I'm in second year at uni doing chem eng. All of the 4th/5th year graduates that i know/spoke to during the year all have jobs starting in August/September. Most of them graduated with 1st class or 2:1 Masters though.

Hope this helps!
Original post by kohler1994
I'm in second year at uni doing chem eng. All of the 4th/5th year graduates that i know/spoke to during the year all have jobs starting in August/September. Most of them graduated with 1st class or 2:1 Masters though.

Hope this helps!

Ah thanks :')

What do you think of a Chem Eng degree in terms of difficulty?

Are you doing a MEng or BEng yourself? (: Also where at, if you don't mind saying?

Sorry for the all questions! :L

Hope this helps!

How have you found the course, in terms of intrest?

What did you do in year 1 and 2, i.e. what topics.
What is the percentage of maths and chemistry involved, is there more of one or the other?

Reply 8
I just finished my 4th year in (hons) beng chemical engineering and got a job within 2 weeks of getting my result back
Original post by gogo8773
I just finished my 4th year in (hons) beng chemical engineering and got a job within 2 weeks of getting my result back

Hey, mind if I ask some questions? :biggrin:

Where did you get you get job from.
What is the course split into, i.e. what did you in each year?
What is the proportion of chemistry to maths in the course?

Ah thanks :')

What do you think of a Chem Eng degree in terms of difficulty?

Are you doing a MEng or BEng yourself? (: Also where at, if you don't mind saying?

Sorry for the all questions! :L

I thoroughly enjoy the course so far to be honest with you. - Sorry, i find it reasonably easy so far but I guess all that will change. By being in second year, I mean that i just passed first year there. Sorry for the confusion.
I am doing MEng but the courses are the same for the first 3 years anyway.
I'm at Heriot Watt :smile:

Don't worry about it. If i can help in any way, I'd be happy to :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
How have you found the course, in terms of intrest?

What did you do in year 1 and 2, i.e. what topics.
What is the percentage of maths and chemistry involved, is there more of one or the other?

I love the course so far to be honest with you but i guess everyone's different in terms of what interests them.

Sorry, I'm just going into year 2 after the summer, but speaking to a lot of the second years, it seems much the same topics but progressing them further.
I have 4 modules - Chemistry, Maths, Process Industries and Physics/Biology. Was physics in semester one and biology in semester 2. The biology being used as a basic knowledge to develop further into bioprocessing in year 3 i believe.
Maths and Chemistry at Heriot Watt are fairly equal to be honest with you but they are pretty straightforward. Scottish Advanced higher level so far.

Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Hey, mind if I ask some questions? :biggrin:

Where did you get you get job from.
What is the course split into, i.e. what did you in each year?
What is the proportion of chemistry to maths in the course?

if you asking how i found my job i found it via google
1st year - basically repetition of higher chemistry,maths,physics and you do some engineering stuff like autocad and drawing (alot more chemistry than maths)
2nd year - you build upon 1st year but its a big step up and you do maths and chemistry for the final time (again alot more chemistry than maths)
3rd year - this is where chemical engineering starts and you get taught the tools of the trade (a propotional mix of everything)
4th - basically more advanced course of 3rd year plus your final year project which resembles real life engineering and id suggest you work hard on your project because i showed it off at my interview and i got the job
I thoroughly enjoy the course so far to be honest with you. - Sorry, i find it reasonably easy so far but I guess all that will change. By being in second year, I mean that i just passed first year there. Sorry for the confusion.
I am doing MEng but the courses are the same for the first 3 years anyway.
I'm at Heriot Watt :smile:

Don't worry about it. If i can help in any way, I'd be happy to :smile:

Ah I see :smile: I've heard horror stories about people finding the first year incredibly difficult and then going back home! :s-smilie:

What was the reason behind doing a masters rather than a bachelors? Everyone does a masters these days but I don't actually understand the reason why.

Ahh Heriot Watt looks amazing, it's a shame I live too far!
Awh thanks! :smile:
Original post by gogo8773
if you asking how i found my job i found it via google
1st year - basically repetition of higher chemistry,maths,physics and you do some engineering stuff like autocad and drawing (alot more chemistry than maths)
2nd year - you build upon 1st year but its a big step up and you do maths and chemistry for the final time (again alot more chemistry than maths)
3rd year - this is where chemical engineering starts and you get taught the tools of the trade (a propotional mix of everything)
4th - basically more advanced course of 3rd year plus your final year project which resembles real life engineering and id suggest you work hard on your project because i showed it off at my interview and i got the job

What uni did you go to? Your course structure sounds totally different from mine. I have started actual chemical engineering work already - not waiting till 3rd year.

Did you ever go to Frank Morton?

Ah I see :smile: I've heard horror stories about people finding the first year incredibly difficult and then going back home! :s-smilie:

What was the reason behind doing a masters rather than a bachelors? Everyone does a masters these days but I don't actually understand the reason why.

Ahh Heriot Watt looks amazing, it's a shame I live too far!
Awh thanks! :smile:

Nah first year is just a revision of what you did in your last year at school. You always hear horror stories about everything in life :smile:

Tbh with you, I still haven't fully decided that I want to do masters. Due to the way the course is laid out for us, we can wait until the end of 3rd year to decide where we get a meeting with our academic mentor to discuss what we want to do. I personally think I am going to go for Masters because i like the idea of doing the project and stuff. I also just think that there will be more depth of knowledge and rightly or wrongly, i assume there will be more work for people with a masters. No real logic behind it if I'm honest. Although I am gonna wait till 3rd year to make that decision. Not worried too much about it the now :smile:

Yeah I love it at Heriot Watt.
Where are you considering going?
What uni did you go to? Your course structure sounds totally different from mine. I have started actual chemical engineering work already - not waiting till 3rd year.

Did you ever go to Frank Morton?

Nah first year is just a revision of what you did in your last year at school. You always hear horror stories about everything in life :smile:

Tbh with you, I still haven't fully decided that I want to do masters. Due to the way the course is laid out for us, we can wait until the end of 3rd year to decide where we get a meeting with our academic mentor to discuss what we want to do. I personally think I am going to go for Masters because i like the idea of doing the project and stuff. I also just think that there will be more depth of knowledge and rightly or wrongly, i assume there will be more work for people with a masters. No real logic behind it if I'm honest. Although I am gonna wait till 3rd year to make that decision. Not worried too much about it the now :smile:

Yeah I love it at Heriot Watt.
Where are you considering going?

Ooh really :smile: How much chemistry is actually in a 'chemical' engineering degree?
And do you think I'd be at a loss if I didn't take Physics at A2?

Ohh right :smile: I understand peoples' train of thought now :biggrin:

I'm thinking maybe Manchester/ Bath/ Birmingham/ Nottingham/ Loughborough, but tbh I really don't know :frown: I'm visiting unis at the moment though, so hopefully that'll help me decide.
Ooh really :smile: How much chemistry is actually in a 'chemical' engineering degree?
And do you think I'd be at a loss if I didn't take Physics at A2?

Ohh right :smile: I understand peoples' train of thought now :biggrin:

I'm thinking maybe Manchester/ Bath/ Birmingham/ Nottingham/ Loughborough, but tbh I really don't know :frown: I'm visiting unis at the moment though, so hopefully that'll help me decide.

Yeah :smile: We have chemistry both semesters in 1st year, one semester in year 2 and on semester in year 3. So not a lot compared to other things. On our course personally but as gogo8873 said in his post, his course was structured totally different from mine so i can only speak from what i have personally experienced.

If you visit unis, that should help you decide. You should get a feel for what uni you like when you are there. I would personally make sure though that you go to a uni that has its course accredited by the institute of chemical engineers - basically means that they check the course every year to ensure that it is relevant to what is going on in industry :smile:
Yeah :smile: We have chemistry both semesters in 1st year, one semester in year 2 and on semester in year 3. So not a lot compared to other things. On our course personally but as gogo8873 said in his post, his course was structured totally different from mine so i can only speak from what i have personally experienced.

If you visit unis, that should help you decide. You should get a feel for what uni you like when you are there. I would personally make sure though that you go to a uni that has its course accredited by the institute of chemical engineers - basically means that they check the course every year to ensure that it is relevant to what is going on in industry :smile:

Ah right :smile:

Ooh that's an interesting point; I never considered that!

Thank you very much for your help :smile:
Reply 18
Hi guys, I was wounder weather it is hard to get a job in the UK after getting a chemical engineering degree, after university?

Any experience with finding a job with a chemical engineering degree is welcome.

+rep to those who help =)
Thanks.

With the current status of UK job prospects, it is indeed hard to get a job. However it really depends which uni you do your course from and also what is your final result. A 1st class will give you a fair leverage over someone who has 2.1

Adding a Masters qualification also pretty much boosts your chances.
Ah right :smile:

Ooh that's an interesting point; I never considered that!

Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Not a problem at all. Just to add to that... All unis will have different amounts of practical work etc etc. Best thing to do is email them and find out the structures of the courses and whatever. 99 times out of 100 they will be more than happy to help you/point you in the direction of someone who can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending